Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

rosie

Click DivaStyle next to my picture. Then click view this member's journal (or something like that).

All I am seeing are a link to your profile, a link to send you a pm, and a link to add you to my buddy list. That is what i see for anyone's namelink thingy.

I guess I do not have access to journals.

pooh.:perplexed

ClassicBeauty

All I am seeing are a link to your profile, a link to send you a pm, and a link to add you to my buddy list. That is what i see for anyone's namelink thingy.

I guess I do not have access to journals.

pooh.:perplexed

I think when you click the DivaStyle next to the avatar, the last option is View DivaStyle's Journal.

Newly Natural

Hi Ladies! I love this thread too. I love my hair straight. People keep asking why don't I just get my relaxer back. But it feels and looks like silk and it never did relaxed. I first got it flat ironed and it looked way better than any fresh perm. That's the pic in the striped top. The other pics are my most recent attempt to flat iron it myself. I was very proud of my results. I blew it dry, but I think next time I'll try the rollerset. I used the Maxiglide. I bought some Chi Silk Infusion yesterday, so I'll try that next time too. My only thing is working out. I tried the Aveda Anti-Humectant but I don't think it helped since I seem to sweat throughout my head. I'm attaching the pics below.

Attachments

• pro.JPG
    pro.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 896
  • Natural.JPG
    Natural.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 957
  • straight.JPG
    straight.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 899
  • finished.JPG
    finished.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 908

Ms Lala

Do any of you workout regularly? If so, how do you keep your hair straight?

I don't wear my hair down. I pull it back in a bun like in my current avatar. It's only semi-straight anyway. As it really starts to puff up I do a braid out or something else. Yesterday I set it on some flexi rods and I'm putting it up in a clip. My scalp sweat when I exercise so puff is unavoidable. I don't know how ladies do it who actually wear their hair down?

SVT

This my thread right heah! :grin:

I've decided to keep my hair mostly straightened for the next few months. The shedding and tangling got to me and I'm hoping this will alleviate those issues. :look:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
It depends on what you are using. First, I always pre-stretch my hair before using heat to straighten. I air dry in large twists, rollersets, or blow dry to stretch my hair. I then section my hair and detangle with a smaller tooth comb completelty from root to tip. I then use the flat iron to chase the comb all the way to the ends. I can usually get the hair straight with on pass using this technique. When I use my ceramic electric hot comb, I make sure that the back of the comb is used to smooth and straighten the hair. Because my hair has been stretched to a blown out state before I add heat, I do not need high heat to pres out my hair. Actually, as my rollersets improve, I can get my hair pretty straight rollersetting under a soft bonnet.
I think pre-stretching is key! I like to band my hair before straightening it.

The Savvy Sistah

Great Thread!!

Once I reach my next goal (BSL) I plan to flat iron at least every two weeks. I really want to learn how to do it myself, but I can't seem to get it as straight as the salon.

Any tips?

fungirl08

Newbie here!

I BC'ed a few months ago after relaxing my hair for most of my life. I thought I'd have to go through this journey alone; but after finding this forum, I've learned so many things about my hair and how to care for it. I plan on wearing it straight for the most part when it's long enough.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your tips and routines.

sunshinne368

:look: My hair stays straight fo about 1 hr if I DIY and about 4 hrs if I go to a salon (which is rare since moving to NC from Cali). My big problem is sweating! The humidity doesn't help! So I am looking for suggestion and tricks of the trade! I am starting a new reggie and would like to straighten 2xmonth! Plus I need too have straight hair for my wedding in Vegas! Thank god it is in April I would be in curly afro girl.

lana

I'm a texlaxed 4a (that means my hair is almost natural in texture) can anyone tell me why my hair is breaking in two or three inch pieces everytime I blow dry. No problem when I'm flat ironing. But whenever I blow dry it's breakage city.

BrownSkin2

I'm a texlaxed 4a (that means my hair is almost natural in texture) can anyone tell me why my hair is breaking in two or three inch pieces everytime I blow dry. No problem when I'm flat ironing. But whenever I blow dry it's breakage city.

How often are doing protein treatments? You may need protein for strengthening, since you are texlaxed.

SEMO

I'm glad for this thread. I've only attempted straightening my hair two times since being natural (and one of those times I didn't even finish doing my whole head) b/c each time my hair came out poofy.

I decided to try to straighten my hair today. Except this time around instead of washing/conditioning like normal, air drying then flat ironing, I added a deep conditioning treatment and will blow dry my hair before flat ironing. Hopefully that will give me better results.

Also, I am using a CHI flat iron and Biosilk heat protectant.

ETA:
I also clarified when I shampooed today. My hair seemed to retain moisture from the conditioning and deep conditioning treatment after that.

Last edited:

Ms Lala

Any suggestions on products to prevent puffiness? I mean immediately after I flat iron sometimes my hair puffs up, it straight but it is very light and fluffy if that makes sense.

BrockStar

[/IMG]Whoo Hoo!!! My first decent staightening job since being natural!!!

Ummm I can't make it smaller or remove it...lol...sorry!!!:lachen:

Golden

Any suggestions on products to prevent puffiness? I mean immediately after I flat iron sometimes my hair puffs up, it straight but it is very light and fluffy if that makes sense.

I know exactly what you mean, I ordered paul mitchell's super skinny serum which I heard was good for puffiness, I'll try it when I get it and let you know how it came out.

brownsugarflyygirl

Im natural and plan to wear my hair mostly straight once I reach BSL....I guess Im part of the minority that is not afraid of the stylist heat :look: I will probably go to her every other month and then do it myself once a month to give myself a break.

My mom used to blow dry and press my hair every two weeks growing up and it was fine. I had pretty, thick, shiny (probably from the blue magic grease) APL hair. I didnt get shoulder length until I got a perm :nono:

I always felt like my hair could "take" alot of heat...but we will see. I plan to continue to deep condition frequently and start more frequent trims once I start using heat on a regular basis.

I know that you all dont like the the whole this texture is different talk (although textures really are :rolleyes:) ....but just as an observation...I notice that it seems that natural 3's have better success using heat regularly and keeping healthy hair than natural 4's. I think maybe that is because most 4's require more heat to get relaxer straight. My little sisters are both 3's and it takes a much lower temp on the flat iron to get their hair straight than for my hair.....so yea...just a thought/observation.

clever

What products do you use?Keracare has a really nice pressing creme that helps "flatten" things out.You don't need much.

Sunshine0801

I know that you all dont like the the whole this texture is different talk (although textures really are :rolleyes:) ....but just as an observation...I notice that it seems that natural 3's have better success using heat regularly and keeping healthy hair than natural 4's. I think maybe that is because most 4's require more heat to get relaxer straight. My little sisters are both 3's and it takes a much lower temp on the flat iron to get their hair straight than for my hair.....so yea...just a thought/observation.

I think this is right. That is why I will only straighten once or twice a year if I ever straighten my hair. I already know that it will take a lot of heat to get it straight, which is damaging, and it will not last very long (because I workout regularly).

Ms Lala

I know exactly what you mean, I ordered paul mitchell's super skinny serum which I heard was good for puffiness, I'll try it when I get it and let you know how it came out.

THanks, please let me know how it goes. I hope it works out for you.

Ms Lala

What products do you use?Keracare has a really nice pressing creme that helps "flatten" things out.You don't need much.

I've never tried Keracare. I've tried Dudley cream, Redken smooth down, and Fantasia IC. They all work okay but didn't eliminate enough of the poof. I wonder if the problem is more in my technique than the products.

jwhitley6

Use a light serum after you flat iron to coat strands and add weight. Paul Mitchell Super Skinny, Redken Glass or Neutrogena Triple Moisture Serum work well.

happylocks

Can anyone explain the technique that is used, I just pressed my hair out about 1 hour ago, and it always seem cooked. I used the chi, it did not have a way to turn it down. My sister is upset because I used it, and I could cause it to break, But My hair I feel is never the same, Its curly when its wet, but once its dry the curly are gone, and its almost like a thick, kinky, straight hair. I am envious of some of the naturals with thick, tight curls. I have lost that. So how do you press without the burnt smell, what products to use? I have no technique, just press and expect it to frizzy up to a ball in an half and hour. Oh and after I am done pressing I just put it in a ponytail, any styles suggestion even if it gets frizzy? GREAT THREAD!!

lana

How often are doing protein treatments? You may need protein for strengthening, since you are texlaxed.

I usually do a protein conditioner followed by a moisturizing conditioner once a month. But maybe I can become more consistent with this. Protein can really break my hair off though if I go overboard.

The one thing I did to prevent breakage this last wash was to airdry in two ponytails and then flat iron in small sections. My ends looked a little more frizzy but overall it was successful and I lost way less hair.

That is...until the next day when I combed my hair out with my jilbere shower comb...I lost about 15 broken 2 inch strands. (sigh) Any help? I would appreciate ANY help.

~~HoneyComb~~

This my thread right heah! :grin:

I've decided to keep my hair mostly straightened for the next few months. The shedding and tangling got to me and I'm hoping this will alleviate those issues. :look:

Like you I've decided to keep my hair straight for a while. My hair is a little past BSL straight, and the longer my natural hair got, the more it tangled and matted and it was driving me a little crazy. I used a solia flat iron and chi infusion and my hair has been straight for almost two weeks. I spray it with olive oil spray for shine and at night I tie my hair up in a satin scarf.

My technique for straightening is I take a small piece of hair and go down the length of my hair twice. The first time is a quick swipe. The second time I go slower down the length and when I get to the end I leave it on for a couple of seconds. This gets my hair really straight.

Sorry I don't have pictures, I have a digital camera, can take pictures on my cell phone, but I do not know how to post.

Ms Lala

Use a light serum after you flat iron to coat strands and add weight. Paul Mitchell Super Skinny, Redken Glass or Neutrogena Triple Moisture Serum work well.

Oh I've never thought of doing this after I flat iron. THanks for the tip.