Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Nayeli

23 weeks post and doing urm, not so bad. Trying to find some styling options that make my hair look less helmety - that and combat dryness, my gosh, my hair drinks moisturizer more than ever before.

BUT - no urge to relax WHATSOEVER. Still excited about the journey.

carameldimples

Pics of my 4b waves and my growth! I want to see more pics at 14/15 months post cuz I swear I only have 5-6.5 inches and I look at youtube videos or 1 year natural threads here and they have straight up SL hair, I think I am EL on the sides and NL in the back....I guess I have a snail's paced growth rate, I should at least be 7 inches if I had the average growth rate, but I guess I am more like .3 or so a month...Ladies how many inches of natural hair do you have and please add pics??? I am nosey!

Attachments

• 2012-01-05_17-18-57_907.jpg
    2012-01-05_17-18-57_907.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 14months.JPG
    14months.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 74

Prinncipality

Ugh. I'm so sick of this basic puny bun that I've been rocking for weeks now. Not cute :( but on the other hand it is exciting watching my hair transform like this. Hopefully I will be able to hold until June as planned.

WaterMoccasin

Gosh--I'm a baby here: 2 months post, just recently made the firm decision to go back to natural after having relaxers (& heat) wreak havoc on my hair for the past 4+ years.

I'm tex-laxed, 4a mostly, hair recently cut to APL (from near-BSL--too much damage).

I became a member here about 8 years ago, managed to grow (and maintain) my hair longer than I thought possible as a result (from my usual APL to MBL stretched), then I started 'showing off' and neglecting it, lol! Now, after constant damage from my self-relaxers etc., tired of chewed up hair (including some chemical "bangs"), I want to take it all the way to WL, and my hair seems to thrive better in its natural state (thicker, stronger). Plus, I like the versatility.

I'm not even thinking about BC-ing anytime soon--will probably s-l-o-w-l-y cut the tex-laxed hair off.
Hello fellow transitioners!

Now I'm almost 19 weeks and having a hard time figuring out style options. Can't do the heat--did it 2 days straight just for some progress pics and my hair is kind of mad at me for that (and the roots do not stay straight for long).
Unfortunately, because of previous damage, the front and middle of my hair is super-short from breaking off, so it's hard even to pull off buns with my wayward "bangs."

I might get another sew-in in March, but between now and then, I guess wigs? Yes, definitely wigs will have to help me through to the next probable sew-in.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I miscounted my transition and I'm actually 11 weeks post. I'm a little further than I though I was. Woot woot! I got my hair re-braided (as I intend to keep it braided for as long as possible).

Attachments

• IMG_20120107_195528.jpg
    IMG_20120107_195528.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20120107_201001.jpg
    IMG_20120107_201001.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 50

carameldimples

I miscounted my transition and I'm actually 11 weeks post. I'm a little further than I though I was. Woot woot! I got my hair re-braided (as I intend to keep it braided for as long as possible).

That's really cute...I am such a punk I cannot do braids! I can't imagine sitting in the chair that long to get them put in and the nightmare of having to take them down!!!

Cruzankink

Hello everyone I'm new to this thread. I have 4b shoulder lenght hair. Saturday made 3 months (12 weeks) post. This is the longest I've been w/o a relaxer since 1995! I have had difficulty during my transition b/c my hair was breaking/shedding excessively and has been extremely dry. (For info on my history see my post in the BKT support thread pgs. 202-204). This weekend I tried something new and may have (knock on wood) gotten a handle on my hair. I read that some of you are experiencing breaking/shedding this is my new regimen, maybe it will work for you:

I prepood w/ EVOO and some reconstructive conditioner. I used Joico Revitaluxe. I cannot use this recon alone because it dries out my hair and turns it to a tangled mess. But since its expensive I couldn't bear to trash it so I put it to good use w/ the EVOO. I saturated my hair w/ the mixture, put plastic cap on and sat under the PIBBS at 50 for 30 minutes.

Then I divided my hair in 4 sections and washed it w/ a sulfate free poo. I have a BKT according to experts sulfate free poos are the way to go but you can use a moisturizing poo.

Then I deep conditioned w/ Joico K-pak Reconstructor, Aphogee 2 min Recon and about a tablespoon of olive oil. Put plastic cap on and sat under PIBBS at 60 for 20 minutes.

Rinsed out each section. My hair is feeling soft. I combed out my hair and hardly any shedding/breaking. My hair is thin from 3 months of breaking/shedding so at this point I am relieved. Both reconstructors recommend that you use a moisturing conditioner.

So I used Joico Moisture Recovery Mask for coarse hair and Joico Intense Moisture Conditioner and ofcourse a tablespoon of olive oil. I sat under Pibbs at 60 for 20 min and was planning on rinsing it out that night but I got tired of dealing with hair so I rinsed the following day.

I had not felt my hair this moisturized in months!!! It was easy to detangle w/ minimal shedding. I wish I had done this 3 months ago. Anyway, I air dried and sealed w/ coconut oil at the roots and argon oil on my relaxed ends.

Hope this works for you. Keep up the good fight!

05girl

Don't worry, I think you will see your curls once your natural hair gets longer or when you BC. Although, your hair may be a little "heat trained" due to the heat.

I feel the complete opposite. I decided to transition a few weeks ago and I wish I decided when I was neck length. That way, it would probably take 1 year or a little more to get back to that length naturally then chop off.

Thanks! My hair grows a bit slow though :/

05girl

My bf was a heat-trained natural when she first transitioned, and then she "transitioned" from being heat-trained to curly natural. She just routinely cuts off the heat-trained hair as the curly hair grows out.

After your hair grows past SL, your styling options will expand. Just do what you need to do to get it there - whether straightening or PSing in some way. :bighug:

Thanks! Yes since my main goal is length, I think I will just keep heat training until I get long enough to cut off the relaxed ends. ALTHOUGH I have been tempted to cut some bangs and a short bob lol... but I know I'll be mad at myself.

And I think I may have figured out a good PS to hide my ends and help my HIH syndrome. I started tucking the bottom for a short bob look. When I tried this before, i would have the hair hang straight and try to pin section by section in the back. This was never comfortable or stayed. Now I grab my hair as if I'm going to do a loose pony and twist the pony part under and use bobby pins to pin. Hope this helps someone.

KinkyGenius

I was trying to make it to two years (104 weeks) post-relaxer, but I do believe I'm going to be BCing on 1/14 which would be 79 weeks post for me. I hardly have any relaxed ends at this point, I'm *hating* the way what's left of my relaxed ends look and I'm tired of using the perm rods on my ends when I want to do a twistout.....I just want my natural hair out in all its glory at this point :lol:

Good luck to all of the ladies still on their transition!

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Guess who's 12 weeks post?!?!? Your's Truly!! :grin: Woot woot!

That's really cute...I am such a punk I cannot do braids! I can't imagine sitting in the chair that long to get them put in and the nightmare of having to take them down!!!

It took 2 stylists 5 hours to complete it. Take down normally takes me around 2-3 hours.

I had to get braids because I get frustrated with my hair so easily. And when I get frustrated, I tend to make regrettable decisions regarding my hair. :nono:

I'm loving this whole being lazy thing :lachen:

Newbie2Beauty

I'm still hanging in there too everyone! I am at 11 months post. Feb 13th will be one year transitioning. I will take pics and post. I can definitely say it gets so much easier the longer into the transition. I get so tempted to BC because I love my curly locks. But imma stick to my 2 year transition goal. 13 months to go woot woot lol!!

Amber Myst

Hey all! Just started transitioning, been at it for 3-4 months. My hair so far seems mostly tangled, it's very difficult to part. Every time I turn around I feel as though I'm detangling and tearing out hair. Is there a way to make the detangling process easier or avoid tangles all together?

I also hear that brand new new growth is more difficult to manage or doesn't necessary represent the type of hair you will actually grow. Can someone shed any light on this? Any help would be fantastic.:grin:

belleza

I am transitioning too - I'm 9 months post. I've been rocking wigs, with my hair in four cornrows underneath. So much more manageable. I'm giving me and my hair a break.

Meemee6223

I am 22 wks post. Sigh. I feel like I have an extra pillow wrapped around my head with little holes that allow straight hair to poke through. I can't comb through it very well... Sigh...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

tarheelgurl

I'm 11 months!! Wooooo!!! I must say that I thought I was never going to get past that 4-6 month hump. That was by far the worst time. But now, my new growth doesn't tangle....my relaxed ends still do...but the roots are a breeze to comb through. I plan on riding this transition out as long as I can. I will see where I am at the 2 year mark, then maybe do a chop but I'm just going to roll with it until the wheels fall off.

tarheelgurl

Hey all! Just started transitioning, been at it for 3-4 months. My hair so far seems mostly tangled, it's very difficult to part. Every time I turn around I feel as though I'm detangling and tearing out hair. Is there a way to make the detangling process easier or avoid tangles all together?

I also hear that brand new new growth is more difficult to manage or doesn't necessary represent the type of hair you will actually grow. Can someone shed any light on this? Any help would be fantastic.:grin:

My hair did this too until I discovered aloe vera juice. Try that. I spray it on the dry hair before washing, from root to tip then spray again after conditioning. It made all the difference.

CB1731

I'm still here. I still have a part of my hair towards the front that has 3 or 4 inches of texlaxed hair. I still wear it curly anyway. I have no plans to chop it off so I will be transitioning forever I think.

ResultsMayVary

thin ends? how does anyone handle braidouts and twistouts? My attempts come out pretty good except for the ends (i.e damaged thin ends) and to just cut them would be to BC them..

MsWowFactor

thin ends? how does anyone handle braidouts and twistouts? My attempts come out pretty good except for the ends (i.e damaged thin ends) and to just cut them would be to BC them..
Your braidouts look good in your siggy imo. Can you share what you are currently doing? I usually do not wear braidouts or twistouts but I twisted my hair last night and rolled the ends with straws. I will see how it turns out later today....fingers crosed.

ResultsMayVary

Your braidouts look good in your siggy imo. Can you share what you are currently doing? I usually do not wear braidouts or twistouts but I twisted my hair last night and rolled the ends with straws. I will see how it turns out later today....fingers crosed.

Thanks.. That was done when I was 100% natural. I'm transitioning from damaged BKT hair now so my ends aren't as thick. Def keep us posted on your results!

mimi0410

Still hanging in guys. Last texlax was August of 2009. I am 100% natural at this point. I have transitioned with the help of protective styling, from braids to half wigs to installs. The next time I take down my install I will definitely take pics to document my progress. Now that I've fully transitioned I think I may be afraid of my natural hair. Or it could just be that I'm in love with the ease of my weave. I can say this...I dont believe I will going back to relaxing or texlaxing. My hair is extremely full, thick and most importantly healthy. Continued blessings to you all!!

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
13 weeks post relaxer as of today. Go me! :grin:

I'm in box braids so thankfully, I don't have to deal with my hair or its two textures. I should be 18 weeks post by the time I take them down. :yep:

MsWowFactor

Thanks.. That was done when I was 100% natural. I'm transitioning from damaged BKT hair now so my ends aren't as thick. Def keep us posted on your results!

Oh I see. The straws at the end worked pretty well for me. It blended well with the twistout. I think the straws also helped to stretch the curl because I make sure there is some space between the strands of hair when I roll the hair.

jayjaycurlz

Checking in @ 125 weeks post texlax, I've been S&D/dusting my ends when needed but haven't really bc'd them. I'm in kinky twists until March.

MsDes

I am 7 months post!!! Never thought I could do it! I'm going for at least a year!!

Attachments

• 1481.jpg
    1481.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: