Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2015-2016 Challenge!

SmilingElephant

^^^^^ I agree with all of this. Ain't nothing like finding a wash/style routine where you can pamper your hair then leave it alone to thrive!

I think I've reached hip y'all....well my lil tail has anyway. I wont officially claim it until I straighten again (maybe in the fall) That way I can give the rest of my hair time to catch up. I'll be moving in 3 months and will be living within 45 mins of my family. My sister is a kitchen beautician and she can braid and style like nobody's business. I already told her she better get ready! I'm sad to be leaving my stylist and braider in my current city as they both have became such close friends but I'm happy that I have my sis as my go to. Oh and I already requested Reneice as an "official stylist" but we all know how long that wait is.

Awesome!!! Congrats! :)

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I just took my cornrows out and washed my hair. My longest section is definitely waist length but I'm not claiming it just yet. Maybe in June. Gonna dc overnight so I can throw some braids in tomorrow and slap my wig back on. Wigging it until June.

SmilingElephant

I went to trader Joe's yesterday for the second time and bought both the nourish spa and the tea tree tingle.

I actually love both!!!

I used the TTT tonight to Co wash and detangle my hair. It made my hair feel so soft! The slip is amazing too!!

My hair LOVES to be co washed!

Lucia

Aireen

I Thought I signed up opss :shocked:
Anyways I'm in for the first round I'm finishing the don't cut it challenge #teamnoscissors #longhairdontcare

So I have been doing stretched length checks only so I'm not tempted to cut off my progress.

Details:

• Current length: waist length stretched baby Yeah!

• Regimen: co washing DC 2x week PS 50% at least oil scalp massages 3x week More details in my blog here or on my fotki-I need to update this I've changed some things.

• Exact goal length: tailbone stretched bsl curly ???

• Exact goal date: 9/30/2015

• Tools + plans to help reach final goal:
not trimming so often cassia henna when needed baby my ends not Minimal straitening

• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved:
I will do a small trim just let it grow and maintain once it gets to classic stretched I will just maintain and keep it there keep following my regimen

Last edited:

Lucia

I went to trader Joe's yesterday for the second time and bought both the nourish spa and the tea tree tingle. I actually love both!!! I used the TTT tonight to Co wash and detangle my hair. It made my hair feel so soft! The slip is amazing too!! My hair LOVES to be co washed!

SmilingElephant

you co washing daily? Even during winter?

Last edited:

Aireen

Honestly... I love shopping and my fav stuff to buy would just be simple drugstore items like hair products, skin care, vitamins, etc. Just got a package today with a bunch of goodies that I can't wait to use. :grin:

mayoo

Update:
So I feel like my hair is getting a bit too much to handle so I've put it away in mini-twists for now

Attachments

• DSC_0300.JPG
    DSC_0300.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 156

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I need to go deep conditioner shopping. Like bad. Like today. But I don't feel like it. I have three jars of deep treatment masque's in my stash.....all of which I can probably squeeze 1 use out of if my daughter doesn't get to them first. I can wait it out till next month....then I'll haul and get deep conditioner wasted. lol

SmilingElephant

I am SO tempted to straighten my hair.

But it would be pointless:look:

I haven't straightened my hair since thanksgiving...so that makes 4 months both since I straightened and trimmed it.

It just feels a lot longer and I wanna see!:grin:

girlonfire

Hey people. I said I'd be back once I got my hair cut and I am true to my word.

• Current length: I am bra strap length now

• Regimen: cowash 1x a week. wash and go/roller set every other week

• Exact goal length: hip length

• Exact goal date:01/02/2016

• Tools + plans to help reach final goal:
I will be doing a lot of finger detangling. I want to see how that works with my roller sets. I will not be actively protective styling this year. If I get a weave for the first time in my life so be it but I'm not doing it in order to retain length.

• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved:
I'll probably cut it again honestly. Just enjoy the length, get sick of it, chop, the grow it again. Pocahontas braids always seemed so alluring:drunk:

Aireen

Finally bought a deep conditioning cap from BonBon Cheveux. Hopefully it arrives today. :grin:

EDIT: It came! :grin: I've always wanted one and now I have it, yesss! Definitely using it today! :spinning:

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My latest smoothie recipes:
I'm obsessed with oranges right now since they are in season and just about the only fruit being sold by the farmers at my local farmer's market.

2 whole carrots
1 naval orange
1 tangelo (tangerine & mandarin orange hybrid)
1 cup ice
It's so good plus my kids actually like this...and they hate my smoothies. lol

1 cup kale
1 cup baby spinach
Plus all the ingredients above.

Both recipes taste like an orange creamsicle! Not to mention, power packed with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for some healthy hair.

Lucia

My latest smoothie recipes: I'm obsessed with oranges right now since they are in season and just about the only fruit being sold by the farmers at my local farmer's market. 2 whole carrots 1 naval orange 1 tangelo (tangerine & mandarin orange hybrid) 1 cup ice It's so good plus my kids actually like this...and they hate my smoothies. lol 1 cup kale 1 cup baby spinach Plus all the ingredients above. Both recipes taste like an orange creamsicle! Not to mention, power packed with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for some healthy hair.

lulu97
Kale has so many nutrients in it its a power green all by itself. I blend mine with green apples baby spinach celery parsley and white grape juice tastes like a fruit smoothie instead of veggies. I've noticed faster growth and thicker hair from juicing.

Dee Raven

Hi All,

I know I'm late, but I would like to join the challenge. My hair has been going through things. I just straightened it for the first time since October and it looks horrible. I know I cut the top layer myself a good 3 inches a couple months ago to improve the conditions of the ends, and I always forget how much denser my top hair is from the bottom, but I also feel like the healthy of my hair is just much worse than what it was before. I was dealing with anemia during the latter part of last year and the beginning of this year, so that might have had something to do with it, but I would really like to get it back on track.

My hair curly however, looks just fine, so I'm glad that I straightened to get an idea of what the true health of my hair is.

• Current length: between wsl and tbl
• Regimen: Wash weekly (no poo shampoo), DC at least every other week, Elasticity treatment 1x month, wng or some other style
• Exact goal length: I would like a healthy, blunt, no wispy ends TBL (preferibly an actual inch or two below, so that it appears tbl when left loose)
• Exact goal date: 9.14.16
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: baby the ends, regular trims (not too frequent), s&d as necessary
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Just enjoy my hair and keep up with my regimen.

Attachments

• March 15 Starting point 2.jpg
    March 15 Starting point 2.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 130
  • March 15 Starting point.jpg
    March 15 Starting point.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 129

SmilingElephant

Aireen : So I was waiting by the phone for this to be set up... But then I fell asleep. :look:....:lol:

Details:

• Current length: MBL/WL
• Regimen: wash n goes. I shampoo and deep condition weekly. Co wash 2-3 times a week. I will be incorporating prepooing into my regimen more often with oils.
• Exact goal length: HL
• Exact goal date: May 2015
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Eating healthier, babying my ends, wearing more buns, vitamins
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: microtrims to maintain the length. Continue to wash and deep condition weekly

I don't know if I'm gonna make it by May. We'll see tho. :( probably won't reach it until August. My hair plays tricks with me, sometimes it feels longer than usual and then it's like "Psych!!!!" #weep

I have been making what I call a Peaches n Cream smoothie.

Made with:

Fresh peach slices
A banana
Vanilla Greek yogurt
Honey
Wheat Germ powder (about a tblsp)
Ice

Blend that bad boy up!!!

Oh my gawd!!

I made a green smoothie the other day with avocado, banana kale and spinach, yogurt and honey and ice. It was my St. Patrick's day smoothie lol

ForumRunner_20150325_200221.jpg

ForumRunner_20150325_200244.jpg

ForumRunner_20150325_200255.jpg

Aireen

Relaxed my hair. :grin: My hair looks really long in the back, it's skimming my waist finally! :drunk: Not claiming it yet though, I'll wait a bit longer. :yep:

I think my new growth is super resistant nowadays and I'm really tired of fighting with it. :ohwell: I'm just gonna let it be and relax when I feel like it; the most I'll do is smooth it out a lot then whatever the result is, I'll let it be. I know I'm having difficulty with DIY touch-ups but I rather have my relaxers done at home than the salon because stylists are a risk. :nono:

Gave my hair the tiniest trim to fix the ends. I have an addiction to trimming but I guess it's the whole health > length thing. Made sure to put my hair in a ponytail then snip the tips to get rid of that little thinning on the ends when it's up, it looks a lot better to me when I do this step. I noticed I like using the scissors too much these days though, I need to cut that out – no pun intended. :lol:

Okay. Time to get a couple hours of sleep. Who said it was a good to do an extensive hair routine late on a Sunday? :sad: I don't know but it wasn't smart. :nono: Off to bed now. :drunk:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I finally went product shopping! #DeepConditionerWasted

These are my deep conditioners and protein treatments for the next quarter. Now that it's warmer, I'll be washing and deep conditioning weekly. For the last few months; I've been following a moisture, moisture, protein schedule.

So:
Moisture shampoo, moisture DC
Moisture shampoo, moisture DC
Clarify shampoo, protein DC

It has been beautiful and my hair is loving it. In between wash days, I'm also moisturizing every 2-3 days by spritzing with a mix of distilled water/argan oil then scrunching in a small amount of butter. Style wise, I'm still rotating between flexi rod sets and french or crown braids.

How are you Ladies doing?

Attachments

• image-3306740021.jpg
    image-3306740021.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 97
  • image-979764951.jpg
    image-979764951.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 90

Aireen

Omg, @lulu97 I want to try that Moroccan Oil line so badly! There are 2 types of masks, right? Which one do you like more?

I love the MillCreek line for protein, I use both the Biotin and Keratin lines too and switch between them. Constantly repurchasing them ever since @Nix08 recommended them.

Lucia

lulu97

Doing good here

I've tried the Shea m manuka DC and it smells great and my hair feels nice while its in and I'm washing it out but I get no slip from it and once it's washed out my hair feels like a did a medium to heavy protein DC think aphogee the stinky one instead of a moisturizing DC and it appears dry and frizzy. If it's a mask even moisturizing my hair should feel moist after. I think it's the alcohol or baobab I know my hair hates certain straight alcohols not fatty acid type those are ok, and I'm thinking it doesn't like baobab either.

This is the second product of Shea moisture I'v tried with baobab in it and my hair hated that one too. Im not having any luck with Shea moisture products except for the moisture leave in that's like kckt it's the only one from their line that works for me. I may have to go to the mixtress mode and make my own. Now I also want to ask if that Moroccan DC really a moisture DC and is it worth the price ? tia

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Omg, @lulu97 I want to try that Moroccan Oil line so badly! There are 2 types of masks, right? Which one do you like more? I love the MillCreek line for protein, I use both the Biotin and Keratin lines too and switch between them. Constantly repurchasing them ever since @Nix08 recommended them.

Aireen I think they have 3. Hydrating, Restorative and a newer one for Smoothing. I've tried them all, love them all....but my pocketbook only allows me to buy a few at a time. lol The hydrating one is my fav. Like Gah Leeee it's so moisturizing! As a matter of fact, I love the entire hydrating line and usually keep the MoroccanOil treatment around for heat styling (light flow-y hair) and the hydrating mask around (uber moisturized hair)

I'm new to the MillCreek protein conditioners but I love them so far! Nice shot of protein without having to moisture DC after. I'd rather do that every 3 weeks than a hard stank a dank Aphogee treatment every 6-8 weeks. lol

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Lucia The SM is a new try for me. It's my daughter's staple line so if I don't like it, I'll pass it on to her. That way, I can keep her out of the DC's I really like. lol

The MorocccanOil DC is worth it to me. I love it and have used it for over 7 years. Because of the price, I alternate it out with other DC's and then when I go back to it, my hair is singing praises. I think I paid a little over $100 for two 16 oz jars but they last forever...think 1 1/2 to 2 years. It's so concentrated that I can use the tiniest amount and get the same effect of using another DC that I slathered on. Most people discount it because of the silicone in it, but I have never met an all natural DC that does my hair like it does. Moisture for dayssssssss!

Last edited:

Aireen

One day I'll bite the bullet and try it out, @lulu97. :grin: I really want to buy these higher end masks just once or twice to see what the hype is about. If you ever try the smoothing one, let me know how it works! I think that one would help me with my blow-dry results, I like my hair to be as soon as possible.

Yes! It completely replaced ApHogee for me, still like it but not enough to go back to it. MillCreek = less mess + less fuss + better smell + cheaper + more control over the use + lasts longer – all around I think it's a more superior product.