Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
February 11, 2013

Devotional:

[fn]taking precaution so that no one will discredit us in our administration of this generous gift; for we have regard for what is honorable, not only in the sight of the Lord, but also in the sight of men. 2 Corinthians 8:20-21 (NASB)

Those who lead, and especially those entrusted with the stewardship of God's funds, must carefully heed the example and call of the Apostle Paul. We need to be circumspect in the way we handle funds. This needs to be true in the privacy of our walk with God, but it also needs to be true in the way it appears to others.

Prayer

God, please forgive us, your people, for tolerating the charlatans and money grubbers who masquerade as your servants. May we, leaders and supporters alike, be honorable and holy in the sight of all, as we use your resources to do your work sharing the grace of Jesus. In the name of our Lord and Christ we pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." Galatians 5:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 12, 2013

Devotional:
But He answered and said to them, "My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it." Luke 8:21 (NASB)

I love the simple truth that Jesus uses. You want to be known as a part of Jesus' family? Obey his Father's Word and live his Father's will!

Prayer
Bless me today, dear Heavenly Father, with the clarity to see the opportunities you have placed in my to live in obedience to your will. However, dear Father, I don't want this clarity to be a fleeting thing. Help me be more aware of the opportunities you place in my path every day. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is [fn]lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [fn]dwell on these things. Philippians 4:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 13, 2013

Devotional:

"While the earth remains, Seedtime and harvest, And cold and heat, And summer and winter, And day and night Shall not cease." Genesis 8:22 (NASB)

We face one of two realities. One reality is this: tomorrow will come, the earth will turn, and the seasons will pass in their appointed order. The second reality, God will interrupt his appointed order; Jesus will come and we'll share in his glory. These realities are as sure as the sun coming up in the morning and going down in the evening. Either way, God's promises win out over our fears and Satan's opposition. In other words, by God's grace, we win!

Prayer

Thank you, Almighty Father, for your great and wonderful promises. I trust in tomorrow for I know you will be there insuring it and Jesus will be there guiding me through it. In the name of my Coming and Conquering Lord I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

[fn]An evil man is ensnared by the transgression of his lips, But the righteous will escape from trouble. Proverbs 12:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 14, 2013

Devotional:

And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body. Romans 8:23 (NASB)

Life can be very difficult at times. Anyone who has lived long knows this. At the same time, even our worst nightmares are staging periods for our great redemption. Our loneliest moments are the waiting room for our final adoption into the very presence and family of the King of Ages. With the Spirit living inside us, we are assured of the ultimate destination of our lives, no matter where the current scene in life's drama places us. So let's live as those who are assured of their final destination but just have not yet finally arrived, not those who have made their home and placed their hope in what is present. Our best days lie ahead!

Prayer

Almighty and Faithful God, loving Abba Father, bless me with courage today so that I can face whatever obstacle may lie in my path, and please give me the spirituality to do so with grace, dignity, and integrity so that others may see my demeanor and bring you glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now. 1 John 2:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 16, 2013

Devotional:
But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it. Romans 8:25 (NASB)

I'm not good at waiting. But, my hope in the Lord gives me patience that is beyond my human tendency. As much as the Lord has blessed me, I'm fully confident that I can't even imagine the good things he has in store for me. So while I wait, I try to stay busy; busy loving my Father in heaven and sharing his grace with others.

Prayer
Thank you, dear Father, for the patience that I possess as I await Jesus' coming is beyond my normal inclination. Bless my efforts at leading others to know Jesus and to find salvation in him. Bless my faith so that it will be strong and endure my waiting. Bless my life, not with things, but with godly character so that my life can be a light to others. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
A tranquil heart is life to the body, But passion is rottenness to the bones. Proverbs 14:30 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 18, 2013

Devotional:
In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the [fn]saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:26-27 (NASB)

Sometimes our prayers seem to bounce off the ceiling and fall to the floor. Other times, we are overcome with emotion and the words of our prayers can't capture what's in our hearts. Thank God for the assurance that the power of our prayers is not dependent upon our words, but upon his grace given us by the Holy Spirit's intercession!

Prayer
Holy God and Loving Father, thank you for giving me the gift of the Holy Spirit, through whom I have the ultimate assurance that you hear my words, my thoughts, and my heart when I pray. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. Matthew 5:39 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 19, 2013

Devotional:
The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27 (NASB)

What kind of man? Ah, much more than a man, he is our Lord, King, Messiah, Shepherd, and Savior.

Prayer:
Tender Shepherd and Abba Father, thank you for emptying heaven of your choicest glory and sending Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. As I face the storms in my life, please give me the courage to stand bravely in faith, trusting that my Savior will still the winds and the waves and bring me safely home to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
In the day of prosperity be happy, But in the day of adversity consider— God has made the one as well as the other So that man will not discover anything that will be after him. Ecclesiastes 7:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 20, 2013

Devotional:
And we know that [fn]God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28 (NASB)

The real issue in our lives is not God's faithfulness, but ours. The history of God's faithfulness to Israel and to his promises is found in the Scriptures. We can depend and rely on him to do what he promises, despite the apparent circumstances of our lives. The real issue is whether or not we choose to truly love him and live for his purposes when life becomes unbearable and faith becomes hard. This verse is no platitude, but the life-ring of hope for those with gritty faith who choose to persevere when there is no easy reason for doing so. Faith is rooted in a Savior who triumphed over death, Satan, and sin on the third day while we find ourselves caught up on the second day waiting for the dawn of our full salvation.

Prayer:
Give me courage, faith, and character, O Lord, and may I never outlive my faith and hope in you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has [fn]been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. James 1:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 21, 2013

Devotional:

And He continued by questioning them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered and said to Him, "You are [fn]the Christ." Mark 8:29 (NASB)

The sweetest confession we will ever make is this: I believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and I want him to be Lord of my life. Let's say it again, out loud, to the glory of God the father. Then, let's commit that before the year ends, we're going to help someone else come to say it for the first time!

Prayer

Thank you, Lord God Almighty, for having a plan that brought me your Messiah, Jesus. I do believe, dear God, that he is your Son and I want him to be my Lord, today, and for the rest of my days. In the name of Jesus, your Son and my Savior, I pray. Amen

Wisdom:

Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 22, 2013

Devotional:

As He spoke these things, many came to believe in Him. John 8:30 (NASB)

While we often talk about Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we can also find it easy to ignore his voice. Let's make a commitment to read through each of the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John) before the end of the year. And as we read, let's do it as a search for the heart of Jesus and ask God to help us know him better.

Prayer

Be with me, dear Father, as I seek to know Jesus better and obey his words more faithfully as I read your holy Scriptures, which find their center in him. In his name, Jesus, Son of God and Son of Man, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, Hebrews 12:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 23, 2013

Devotional:
And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. Mark 8:31 (NASB)

Knowing Jesus is God's Messiah is one thing. Following Jesus as our Lord is quite another. Getting our minds, hearts, and lives to all line up is always a challenge. Once Jesus' disciples confessed him as the Christ, he knew he had to teach them the real road to glory. Each of the Gospels reminds us that this road led to the cross of agony before it led to the crown of glory. The early church captured it in a song that reminded them that they, too, must walk that same road (see Philippians 2:5-11). We are a heaven-bound people, but we can be sure that we will encounter potholes and bumps along the road and even steep hills to climb as Satan tries to derail and defeat us. Our Savior, however, has already walked this road, and he is our great reminder that the path leads us to share in his glory, too.

Prayer:
Dear Father, I know several believers who are struggling to follow Jesus faithfully. Please, dear LORD, I ask that you give them the strength and the courage to endure, and that you use me to encourage them and to help them through this dark time in their lives. I want to specifically mention several people by name, and ask you to bless them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, "Write, 'Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!'" "Yes," says the Spirit, "so that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them." Revelation 14:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 25,2013

Devotional:
For the choir director; on [fn]Muth-labben. A Psalm of David. I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart; I will tell of all Your [fn]wonders. Psalm 9:1 (NASB)

The words of Jessie Brown Pound's old hymn say it best: "If the light of his presence has brightened your way, O will you not tell it today?" Prayerfully select someone who needs to know of the goodness and graciousness of God and share Jesus with that person. A heart filled with praise to God will not only praise him, but will lead others to do so as well!

Prayer:
I do praise you from the bottom of my heart, O God, but bless me today as I seek to bring others to know and to praise you more fully. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and [fn]by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:1-2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 26, 2013

Devotional:

[fn]The people who walk in darkness Will see a great light; Those who live in a dark land, The light will shine on them. Isaiah 9:2 (NASB)

This great promise in Isaiah was fulfilled with the coming of Jesus (see Matt. 4:15-16; Luke 1:79). As darkness falls tonight, look out at a street light and capture it in your memory so that every time you see a light shining in the darkness it will remind you to do two things: give thanks to God for sending his light and commit yourself to sharing that light with those you know.

Prayer:
Loving and Eternal God, thank you for shining your light into my life through Jesus. Help my words and actions bless those around me so that the light of your grace and the salvation that Jesus brings may be seen by all I influence today and each day of my life that follows. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 27, 2013

Devotional:

Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him. John 9:3 (NASB)

Let's ask God to help us view people through the eyes of Jesus so that we will see them as people in whom the work of God needs to be done. And just what is this work of God? Well, Jesus answered that question this way: To believe in the One he has sent! (John 6:28-29)

Prayer
Father, please help me see the people around me as Jesus does. I want to see your work done in their lives, so please give me patience with those who are rude, tenderness with those who are hurting, and boldness with those who are ready to hear the Good News of Jesus. In the name of Christ Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN, AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED. Romans 4:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
February 28, 2013

Devotional:

and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" And He said, "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting, Acts 9:4-5 (NASB)

When Paul teaches that the Church is the Body of Christ, he isn't being theoretical. The Church is Jesus' presence, his Body in this world. What is done to the Church as a collective group of people is done to Jesus. What is done to individual Christians is done to their Savior. Jesus is present in the world through us! The saying is true: the only Jesus many will see today is the Jesus they see through you and me.

Prayer
Dear Father, please "Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me, all His wonderful passion and purity; May His Spirit divine, all my being refine; Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me." In the name of my Savior I pray. Amen. (From the song by Albert W.T. Orsbom.)

Wisdom:
The poor man and the oppressor [fn]have this in common: The LORD gives light to the eyes of both. Proverbs 29:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 1, 2013,

Devotional:

"Arise, bless the LORD your God forever and ever! O may Your glorious name be blessed And exalted above all blessing and praise! Nehemiah 9:5b (NASB)

"Stand up and shout it if you love my Jesus..." That's a song our Christians love to sing! But what happens to that exuberance and joy at worshiping the Lord? God doesn't want us to lose it. Read through the Bible and highlight all the physical acts used to reverence and praise our awesome and eternal God. In a world which regularly uses God's name in vain, isn't it time we stood up and praised him -- not only in church (our private worship) and in our daily devotionals (our personal worship), but also in our lives every day (our public worship)?!

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I find it incomprehensible that an eternal and almighty God would choose to listen to my prayers. Yet I know you do hear them and respond to them. Thank you! Please receive my praise in my worship, whether I offer it in private with other Christians, in my daily personal worship or in my public worship as I live as an example before my coworkers. You alone are God and worthy of all praise, please receive the praise I seek to offer you in my life as well as through my words. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 2, 2013

Devotional:

"You alone are the LORD. You have made the heavens, The heaven of heavens with all their host, The earth and all that is on it, The seas and all that is in them. You give life to all of them And the heavenly host bows down before You. Nehemiah 9:6 (NASB)

God is Creator! Life is defined in him and by him. The multitudes of heaven worship and adore him. For me, that means two very important things. First, I need to give him my heart-felt worship and praise. Second, when I praise God, I am doing something eternal. You and I won't take much out of this life into the next, but among those things is our praise to our God and Father. Praise be to God, not just now, but forevermore!

Prayer

Thank you, dear God, for creating the universe in its incomprehensible expanse. Thank you, holy Father, for re-creating me in Christ so that I can share in your glory. Thank you, Almighty LORD, for creating life that endures forever. I look forward to that Day when I see you face to face, and praise you with the multitudes of heaven. In Jesus' name I praise. Amen.

Wisdom:

More than that, I count all things to be loss [fn]in view of the surpassing value of [fn]knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, [fn]for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, Philippians 3:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 4, 2013

Devotional:

Then a cloud [fn]formed, overshadowing them, and a voice [fn]came out of the cloud, "This is My beloved Son, [fn]listen to Him!" Mark 9:7 (NASB)

Who are you listening to in your life? We can hear all sorts of different voices, but we can follow only one. So who are you going to listen to as you make your decisions about morality, values, ethics, and character? Who has earned the right to be heard regarding life, death, salvation, and sin? God makes it unmistakably clear; we must listen to his Son Jesus!

Prayer:
Almighty God, please help me silence the voices of doubt, deception, and demagoguery that surround me. Help me hear the voice of Jesus and follow him and obey your will in all things no matter what everyone else around may choose to do. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 5, 2013

Devotional:
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;
2 Corinthians 9:8 (NASB)

What a powerful promise! If we are willing to generously share with others in the name of Jesus as the apostle Paul discusses in the previous two verses, we will have what we need and our lives will be full of good deeds that bring glory to God. So let's remind ourselves of one the very first lessons we should have learned as young children: share! Only this time, as children of God, let's share in the name of Jesus to bless others so they may come to his grace.

Prayer:
Thank you, dear Father, for all the incredible blessings you have poured into my life. You have richly blessed me physically and spiritually. Now I ask that your Spirit will help me be generous with the gifts you have so richly given to me. May my life, O LORD, be a consistent conduit of your blessings so that others may come to know your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Then he showed me a river of the water of life, [fn]clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of [fn]the Lamb, Revelation 22:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 6, 2013

Devotional:

Then He said to me, "The iniquity of the house of Israel and Judah is very, very great, and the land is filled with blood and the city is full of perversion; for they say, 'The LORD has forsaken the land, and the LORD does not see!' Ezekiel 9:9 (NASB)

In times of evil and adversity, God's people can lose sight of the Father's "great and precious promises." God has faithfully kept these promise through the ages. This past faithfulness is our reminder that we can trust his promise of the salvation we will fully experience with him one day. Even in our darkest night, God has not forsaken us. He sees and knows what we do and how we feel. Quite often, however, the LORD is watching to see how we will live in tough times. He wants us to show that we will be faithful during these times. He wants us to see that he can be trusted and that he still is at work in our world and in our lives. So let's be faithful, trusting that the God who preserved Israel and brought through Israel the promised Messiah will also preserve and bless us!

Prayer:
In my times of darkest struggle or of loftiest joy, dear LORD, please help me to be found faithful to you and to your will. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven [fn]you. Ephesians 4:32 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 7, 2013

Devotional:
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10 (NASB)

There are many fields of academic pursuit that are noble and beneficial, but true wisdom and the highest understanding can be found in only one place -- a reverential knowledge of God!

Prayer:
Lord God, Holy Savior of Israel and my Abba Father, thank you for the grace of prayer. Thank you for your steadfastness and faithfulness. Thank you for your mercy and justice. I place my life and my future in your hands to be used for you glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." [fn]Yet you do not know [fn]what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. [fn]Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that." James 4:13-15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 8, 2013

Devotional:

you will be enriched in everything for all liberality, which through us is producing thanksgiving to God. 2 Corinthians 9:11 (NASB)

Why does God bless us with riches? So we can share those riches generously with those in need and so we can bring thanksgiving to God.

Prayer:

Father, thank you for providing me with so many blessings. May my use of your riches bring you glory and bring others a true and genuine blessing that will touch their hearts with your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

The glory of young men is their strength, And the [fn]honor of old men is their gray hair. Proverbs 20:29 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 9, 2013

Devotional:

But when Jesus heard this, He said, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. Matthew 9:12 (NASB)

Why did Jesus associate with sinners? Because we need him to associate with us! What's the most crucial part of that truth, Jesus' desire to save or our recognition of our sinfulness? Of course the most crucial part is Jesus' desire to save because without him, recognizing our sinfulness would only lead to despair. But without recognizing our need for his grace, his sacrifice for us is lost. So let's praise Jesus as our loving and sacrificial Savior, but let's also acknowledge our need for his merciful and mighty grace!

Prayer:
Gracious Father, I praise you from the bottom of my heart for providing Jesus as my Savior. At the same time, dear Father, I confess to you I struggle with sin. I want it completely out of my life, but I find that I cannot rid myself of its constant shadow and its penetrating stain. Without your grace and the sacrifice of Jesus, I know I could not stand before you as your pure child. Please forgive me for the following sins ... and please receive my praise for your gracious forgiveness. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Act as free men, and [fn]do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. 1 Peter 2:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 11, 2013

Devotional:

But He said to them, "You give them something to eat!" And they said, "We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless perhaps we go and buy food for all these people." Luke 9:13 (NASB)

I love the way Jesus gets his disciples' attention. "You feed them, boys!" Of course they knew that they couldn't! Yet Jesus showed them that if they brought their meager resources to him, they could do amazing things. When the big picnic was over, each of them got to pick up a basket full of leftovers from the table of God's grace! Let's remember that it isn't the challenge or the resources that limit us; it's our unwillingness to bring what we have to Jesus and trust that he will do something with us to bless others in ways we couldn't have dreamed! (cf. Ephesians 3:20-21)

Prayer:
All praise to you, Abba Father, for your extravagant help and mercy in times of need, for your loving and generous provision in times of want, and your surprising and exciting use of me and the resources you have entrusted to me to accomplish your will. In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness. Psalm 103:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 12, 2013

Devotional:

So also the Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel. 1 Corinthians 9:14 (NASB)

One of the great tragedies of our modern world is that while some who preach and teach the gospel are charlatans and cheats, the vast majority of God's servants work just barely scraping by financially. Why not find some underpaid and forgotten Kingdom servant and share a little of the blessings God has given you?

Prayer:
Holy Father, I thank you for your servants who share your message all over the world. Father, I want to especially thank you for ___ and I ask you that this person will be blessed with good health, a faithful and loving family, and the proper support to do your work in a way worthy of your cause. Please use me to bless and encourage this minister of your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and [fn]heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near. Revelation 1:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 13, 2013

Devotional:

[In talking about others having the right to be supported in their ministry, the apostle Paul says] But I have used none of these things. And I am not writing these things so that it will be done so in my case; for it would be better for me to die than have any man make my boast an empty one.
1 Corinthians 9:15 (NASB)

Paul was careful not to take support from the Corinthians even though it was his right as a minister of the Gospel. Instead, he knew their problems with generosity and showed them a great example in living for Jesus without obvious and instant reward. Oftentimes we must show our values before others will share them. Paul was a master at reading the needs around him and living in a way that was an example. Let's make a commitment to do the same!

Prayer:
Father God and Almighty LORD, please give me the courage and integrity to live my principles in a way that is a blessing and example to others. Bless me, dear Father, with a life that makes a mark on others for your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, Ephesians 4:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 14, 2013

Devotional:

"When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth." Genesis 9:16 (NASB)

I don't know about you, but I'm a very visual person. I truly appreciate the way God made the world with all its variety, color, and rich diversity. I am thankful for the way he used certain key images in our world to remind us of his daily provision and eternal grace. The beauty of a rainbow is not just in its wonderful colors or in the aroma of fresh rain, but in the promise that our God has chosen to link himself to our destiny and to involve himself in our world!

Prayer:

Almighty God, thank you for making your great promises when we had no right to expect them, much less demand them. Thank you for attaching those promises to things in my everyday world so that I can be reminded of your constant and watchful care. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but [fn]your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment. James 5:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 15, 2013

Devotional:

"I took hold of the two tablets and threw them from my hands and smashed them before your eyes. Deuteronomy 9:17 (NASB)

Anger, frustration, disappointment, and loss of self-control have sunk many of God's greatest leaders. Leading can sometimes be a horribly disappointing task. Yet God's people would perish without strong leaders full of godly conviction. Despite the failure of some of our leaders and the perils that can beset those who choose to lead, leadership is as honorable as it is vital! Where would Israel have been without Moses or Joshua or Hezekiah or David...? So if the Lord is calling you to lead, don't accept his invitation lightly, but please, accept it! If you are not a leader, please remember to pray for your leaders and their families.

Prayer:
Holy LORD, please bless your Church with leaders of great faith, courage, endurance, and integrity. Bless us with courage to answer you when you call us through our leaders to serve you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," Hebrews 13:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 16, 2013

Devotional:

Wisdom is better than weapons of war, but one sinner destroys much good. Ecclesiastes 9:18 (NASB)

Just a little leaven and the whole lump is changed. A sinful person can have the same effect on a whole group of people committed to God. So let's be wise and reverence God by obeying him and his Word. Let's be insightful in the way we deal with sin and temptation in our lives. Also, let's be sure to remember that we are at war with the evil one. Then let’s praise God, because our Savior has already defeated our enemy and the Holy Spirit empowers us to stand up to Satan's attacks and resist his temptation.

Prayer:

Loving Father, please give me wisdom to see through the deceptiveness of the devil's schemes while I seek to live your truth and display your character in my life. Thank you for your power at work in me and in my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Truthful lips will be established forever, But a lying tongue is only for a moment. Proverbs 12:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
March 18, 2013

Devotional:

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 1 Corinthians 9:19 (NASB)

Grace frees us from the law of sin and death. But, our freedom is not to be used for rebellion or for self-gratification. Instead, we are to use our freedom redemptively, just as Jesus did (cf. Philippians 2:5-11). We can voluntarily limit that freedom to help others still caught in bondage to sin and false ideas about God. We can use the freedom of the Spirit to be transformed to be like Christ (2 Corinthians 3:17-18). Let’s use our freedom to rejoice and to bless.

Prayer:
Thank you, great and mighty LORD, for setting me free by your grace. I know, dear Father, that this gift was given to me at great cost -- the humiliating torture, death, and burial of your Son, Jesus Christ. So use me, dear Father, to bless others who have not yet found their deliverance and freedom in Jesus. I pray this in the name of my Savior, Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever. 1 John 2:17 (NASB)