Am I wrong to ask her to use a wider comb?

PersuasiveBeauty

I am going to get my hair braided soon. I don't mind the way the lady does my hair, but I don't really want her to be raking through my hair with a fine toothed comb... Whose hair is supposed to fit through that? Is it necessary to use a fine toothed comb? I've never done hair before... If not is it wrong if I bring this size comb:

Because she's always using this size comb, and she rakes through my hair with this:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I always take my big tooth comb when I go to get braids. And I make sure it is used too. I don't know why they feel it is necessary to use a small tooth comb except maybe for parting only.

brittle_hair

I'm keen to read the responses on this because I went to get my hair braided last week and I did not like the way she was aggressively raking through my hair with a fine toothed comb. She was pretty stubborn too so she didn't like the fact that I didn't want my hair blow dried.

I think hairdressers have the potential to undo all your good work once u sit in the chair. I was just thinking to myself thank God I visit the hairdressers only once every 2 and half months, as opposed to every other week, otherwise i would most definitely be bald!

Last edited:

likewtr4chklit

Oh boy here we go.... OP do yourself a favor and discuss this before you even get to the salon. I dont want you to be in here a week later with a thread about how she mistreated your hair. A cosmetology license doesnt give anyone the right to screw up your progress so SPEAK UP!!!

Mis007

As it's your hair getting done, I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest using a wider comb.

Last edited:

brittle_hair

The hairdresser last week said it wasn't about what I wanted, but what made it easier for her to do her job!! Yep, need to find a new one - but most hairdressers seem to have the same mentality!

choctaw

When I went to get my hair braided I would wash, condition, oil my scalp and make a few big braids to dry. I took my own combs (wide tooth for combing, rat tail for parting), rollers to curl the ends and grease/pomade. I know that my hair tools are clean because I cleaned them. A blower dryer was used if the braids were still damp but that was pretty rare.

Last edited:

choctaw

The hairdresser last week said it wasn't about what I wanted, but what made it easier for her to do her job!! Yep, need to find a new one - but most hairdressers seem to have the same mentality!

+1
and that's what my last braider is short a couple hundred dollars every 6 weeks for the past 2 years ... my retention is much better without her :grin:

diadall

Nothing is wrong with it.

As a matter of fact I have taken my own comb out and gone through my hair first before I allow them to.

remnant

That's why I learned to braid myself several years ago (through Youtubes and crown and glory techniques) and never went back to them :yep::yep::yep:

youwillrise

Not at all! Its your hair, you're paying for it and you want to be fully happy with the experience, right? Id EXPECT my client (if I were a hairdresser) to tell me exactly what they wanted before I started so that we have no issues later. If they don't want to listen to your concerns then they can work on the head of someone who doesn't give a ****.

brittle_hair

That's why I learned to braid myself several years ago (through Youtubes and crown and glory techniques) and never went back to them :yep::yep::yep:

It's definitely the way forward - need to give this some serious consideration in 2012.

OP, hope your hairdresser is a lot more willing than mine!

darlingdiva

Umm, NO! You are the client, so it is about what you want. She isn't paying you to sit in her chair; you're paying her to do your hair.

OP, tell her that you want her to use the wide-tooth comb. If she says anything other than "yes", find someone else to braid your hair.

Solitude

I've taken my own combs and asked the stylist to use it...I just said, "Can you use this comb?" and pulled it out. If you feel strongly about it, you have to be prepared to leave if she says no.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

naturalmanenyc

Take your tools. If she will not do what you ask, find someone who will listen to you.

I've gotten into more verbal battles with stylists than I care to recount over how they treated my hair. I have taken my own tools, shampoo, conditioner, leave in....even to the Aveda salon (non Aveda products). It was a battle almost every time, but they did what I asked in the end.

Kerryann

WTFUDGE kinda comb is that she uses in your hair omg... my braider uses the end of a tail comb and has never handle my hair bad

LisaMar

Its better to call her in advance, and tell her you are planning to bring your own comb and would this be a problem. If she says yes, I personally would not let her do my hair. So if you really want her to do your hair do not take no for an answer try to persuade her to say yes. This is better than discovering mid way through allowing her to do your hair that she is breaking your hair. I live in NY and when I go to have my hair done, I bring everything (shopping bag and all) such as naturalmanenyc said. Some places even charge less because you bring your own products. I know some stylists just prefer a certain tool such as a comb to work with, sort of like some people have their favorite comb/brush as if this would change the finished look which I find silly.

Ronnieaj

Of course it's not wrong. Keep an eye on your combs though, I've seen more than one person try to swipe a good one :look:.

That said, I'm also that weirdo who uses a rat-tail comb when I do my twists, and I do comb through each section of hair prior to twisting. I think the size of the combs I use would cause most naturals to go apoplectic....

FearlessNik

I'm keen to read the responses on this because I went to get my hair braided last week and I did not like the way she was aggressively raking through my hair with a fine toothed comb. She was pretty stubborn too so she didn't like the fact that I didn't want my hair blow dried.

I think hairdressers have the potential to undo all your good work once u sit in the chair. I was just thinking to myself thank God I visit the hairdressers only once every 2 and half months, as opposed to every other week, otherwise i would most definitely be bald!

You are absolutely correct. After losing my edges :crying3: I decided to step up to the Bully Braiders (or any stylist). If I want them to use my homemade products I bring them with me. When they bust out that rat tail comb I give them the epic side eye and tell them it's not going in my hair unless she's making a part with the tail :arguing:. And I'm growing my edges back and I tell them to make sure they don't touch it. Yes I walk around with clean braids and fuzzy new growth edges. Then they are quick to get the scissors and trim the stray aways from the braids. I tell them don't do that because it's not always the ends that they are cutting. If they don't like what I tell them to do to my hair I haul a** :auto:

TamedTresses

Nah. You are not wrong to bring the comb. It's your hair and you are paying her so she needs to use whatever you tell her to use. If not, find someone else who will.

Now, if you had come in here AFTER you let her rip that lil Barbie comb through your hair and asked that question, I would've bumped a special little thread in your honor...because you know you would've been wrong. :lol: