New Hairstyle, opinions needed *pics included*

Is it eay to maintain this hairstyle?

• Very easy go for it!

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • fairly easy but you'll be alright

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • not very use friendly proceed with caution!!!

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • girl dont cut your hair!

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spongie Bloom

Spongie Bloom

LOL im a scatterbrain i forgot to write what this thread about :lachen:
Anyhoo, i have a friend who has wanted to cut her hair and have a short hairstyle like one of the ladies i posted for the longest. She has shoulder length hair. The question is how easy/difficult is it to maintain a short hairstyle like that but continuing healthy hair practises??

Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

msdeevee

Those styles are super cute, but they can be high maintenance. I had a short cut like that when I had a relaxer and I had to touch it up every 2 weeks .

If you put color in it then you have to do intense deep conditioning to maintain it so it doesn't dry out and fall out.

If you want to keep the lines of the cut you would also have to have it trimmed regularly to keep it up.

I had it for about a year and then let it grow out. I have never been one to be sitting in the salon every 2 weeks and I never will be.

Side note: I hate that Eva she is so dern ca-yoot!! and that glow is blinding.

Color me green : )

tada1

it might be difficult to maintain once the ng starts coming in. resulting in more frequent relaxers and/or flat ironing

Stepiphanie

I am currently growing out my rihanna cut. Those hairstyles are very fierce but very HIGH maintenance! Especially if you are relaxed, I had to touch up the back every two weeks, and get a trim to keep the shape. If your friend wants an easy style this is not the one.

BklynHeart

I agree with the other ladies, it's high maintenance. One of my friends keeps her hair short like that and she knows how to touch up the back of her hair, so she saves some money. But she has to go to the salon every week or 2 just for the curling and trimming.

Alastri

I have a friend with a cut sort of like that. She works out at least every other day, which means she has to flat iron it constantly. She's got to cut it frequently to maintain the shape. If she wants to curl it, she has to use an iron on most of it because of the length. Too much work.

tatambabyy

I had the rihanna cut and it was very cute but DIFFICULT. I was in the salon every week getting shaped up. you have to constantly put heat to it. If you don't do anything to it, it won't look good. Wet wraps are good but only the first few weeks post relaxer. after that, its a mission using that fine tooth comb trying to get your hair sleek. its also a lot a manipulation doing that. It's very trendy but after awhile it might do some damage.

Sistaslick

I think these cuts are where stylists make their money. :yep: Not the initial cut, but the upkeep it takes to keep it looking sharp and fierce. Grow out is a mug on those-- my co-worker is going through some mushroomy looking days of her own when she can't get to the stylist on schedule. :lol:

RegaLady

I had these fierce cuts for 5 years and I LOVED them:love4:. I itch every so often to go back, BUT my hair is much healthier now because I don't relax, even though if I did go back to them, I would reduce the amount I use to relax when I wore the cuts.
I thought they were pretty low maintenance:look:. I only touched up the back of my hair very often :ohwell:and I would go to the salon once a month to twice a month and that was to cut. I could wrap and style my own hair. I didn't use heat as much because I didn't care for perfectly curled hair:ohwell:. I liked it pretty messy, sexy and carefree. If fact if I could wear my hair without the relaxer, I would go back to short hair in a heartbeat:yep:.

If your friend has a hand for hair, than she won't need a stylist so often. I had a good idea on how I wanted my hair, so most of the time the sylist was used to cut it. If she is a DIY, than she wouldn't have a problem.

bluediamond0829

Ive had short cuts like three times i believe. And ITA that even though some people think that short cuts are low maintenance from the look of it, but nope not at all. The relaxing almost every 2 to 3 weeks depending on how fast ur hair grows, keeping it edged and trimmed up especially in the back, as soon as you start growing it out it goes thru the awkward stages-(i truly hate that)---oh and dont let the stylist cut the hair too short that you cant use the curling iron to curl it yourself unless the person is well skilled at it(which i know some that are)---but nope not me i had to have some length before i could be able to even curl my hair and still it wouldnt look that great. My hair was very fine and thin so it was just high maintenance to me. But ive seen some nice looking short hairstyles on women that make me want to go back but there texture is totally different.

IMO Short cuts look very nice on someone with thick hair..

MissBCurly

i think they are all really nice, but the easiest to maintain would most likely being the one keyshia cole has becaus eof the length u have other options or the eva pigford because she seems to be natural or texlaxed the most matience would be maintaining the shape of them.

Spongie Bloom

Hi ladies thank you for all your input, my friend will be relaxing her own hair but i doubt she will be tshaping it herself. So i guess its not as low maintenace as it looks especially if she wants it as short as eva's. She had a twa for yrs in high school and she looked really good she feels she looks better with shorter hair.

Any suggestions of hairstyles that are short but low maintenance?

Spongie Bloom

I had the rihanna cut and it was very cute but DIFFICULT. I was in the salon every week getting shaped up. you have to constantly put heat to it. If you don't do anything to it, it won't look good. Wet wraps are good but only the first few weeks post relaxer. after that, its a mission using that fine tooth comb trying to get your hair sleek. its also a lot a manipulation doing that. It's very trendy but after awhile it might do some damage.

Did your hair get damaged because of the manipulation?

Spongie Bloom

I had these fierce cuts for 5 years and I LOVED them:love4:. I itch every so often to go back, BUT my hair is much healthier now because I don't relax, even though if I did go back to them, I would reduce the amount I use to relax when I wore the cuts.
I thought they were pretty low maintenance:look:. I only touched up the back of my hair very often :ohwell:and I would go to the salon once a month to twice a month and that was to cut. I could wrap and style my own hair. I didn't use heat as much because I didn't care for perfectly curled hair:ohwell:. I liked it pretty messy, sexy and carefree. If fact if I could wear my hair without the relaxer, I would go back to short hair in a heartbeat:yep:.

If your friend has a hand for hair, than she won't need a stylist so often. I had a good idea on how I wanted my hair, so most of the time the sylist was used to cut it. If she is a DIY, than she wouldn't have a problem.

do you have any pics of your hair when your hair was short??

ThePerfectScore

When my mom had her waiting to exhale moment and cut her hair super short she thought it would be easier to take care of than her shoulder length hair. In actuality, a precision cut takes a lot of up keep especially if your hair grows super fast. I think Eva's curly hair would be easier than a Rihanna or Nia Long that is straight and is undercut in the back. The technique of undercutting sculpts beautiful texture by shortening layers underneath the hair. I def think short pixie cuts are fierce and sexy; in some cases more so than long flowing hair that has a virginal appeal. So I def think you should go for it!

GulfCoastChica

Those styles are super cute, but they can be high maintenance. I had a short cut like that when I had a relaxer and I had to touch it up every 2 weeks .

I also had a similiar cut a long time ago and I too had to get frequent retouches in the back of my head for the style to look cute. But it is cute on all of those ladies! I can see why your friend wants to cut.:yep:

Butterfly08

I think these cuts are where stylists make their money. :yep: Not the initial cut, but the upkeep it takes to keep it looking sharp and fierce. Grow out is a mug on those-- my co-worker is going through some mushroomy looking days of her own when she can't get to the stylist on schedule. :lol:

Let's not even talk about the mushroom. :nono: It's real. :ohwell: Luckily my roomie's bf would keep the faded part of my hair trimmed down for free. Growing it out was a mushroom for real. It's cute but VERY high maintenance.

knt1229

I have had plenty of short hairstyles and they are very easy to maintain. Short hair is much easier to maintain than long hair.

I have NEVER had to relax my hair every 2 weeks either. If her hair is very short in the back all she has to do is tie a scarf around it at night and keep it moisturized and it should lay down and still look cute. At least mine did.

Washing, conditioning, drying and styling are a snap because there isn't much hair to deal with. If she knows how to care for her hair then she won't have any problems rocking a short cut.

Last edited: