Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I have the devapoo I haven't used it though and now I never will. Sorry that happened @DarkJoy

Thanks @HanaKuroi. Well it sure wasn't for me--your hair may like it! I know ppl rave about it. The Mizani setting lotion was gonna use with Curlformers. Gonna give both to my neighbor or throw them away. made it worse.

@DarkJoy that is crazy how just the addition of one product can have such a negative impact. I hope it doesn't cause a setback. Please let us know how your save goes.

Can you talk about your wash day regimen? How do you use the SM Purification Masque on your wash day? I have the SM PM abut have only used it once. I think I like it but since I don't really have a regimen, not sure how to use it best. I used it as a prepoo before a CW or a shampoo but I can't remember right now which it was.

daviine--It's insane. Just one or 2 changes and everything is thrown off! At least my base reggi works and it's easy to figure out what happened if I add another product.

As for the SM PM, here's how it fits into my reggi: I wet my hair and pre-poo with SM PM. Leave it on for 30min. Rinse. Co-wash. Rinse. Oil or Tea rinse. DC for an hour. Rinse. Done. :drunk:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thanks so much @DarkJoy. That was very helpful. Do you this weekly?

I need a base regimen so I can pinpoint problems early.
you're welcome, daviine yes, weekly. If I'm doing wash n gos, I'll slip a couple more plain co-wash onlies in to freshen it up. That's it. :yep: Keep us in your hair-loop!

Cruzankink

@DarkJoy Damn!!! DevaCurl No Poo supposed to be all natural and great for natural hair considering its part of the product line started by CG prophet Lorraine Massey. As such, you should not have had that kind of adverse reaction. :perplexed Well thanx to you DarkJoy, I ain't buying it. Hope you're saving techniques worked.

UPDATE: Did my weekend regimen (Prepoo, CW, DC). I didn't add extra protein to my DC since I overdid it last weekend. My hair is still soft and manageable so much so that for the last 3 weeks I've been finger detangling exclusively which is a departure for me. Before I felt finger detangling would rip and cause more shedding of hair but now that my hair is better hydrated I can do it w/out any noticable adverse effects.

I've observed bits of hair when doing my bantu knots. My last trim was in June and my ends are due for another one. However, I am not going to trim or buy more product until I receive the results of my Komaza analysis. Speaking of which, I mailed my Komaza hair sample this morning, now, the waiting begins....

STRUGGLES: Curl envy :cry3:

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thank you @Cruzankink.

Update: Yes! My save worked and only down 1/4 inch! No setback...just a hiccup I guess. lol

And no, it is NOT natural! I just took a closer look at the ingredients and have no idea what half that ish is. Found the ingredients online. Bolded = WTF is THAT?

Deva Curl No Poo Ingredients List
Have a look at Laueth-4!!! It's other chemical name is DIMETHICONE! This BS has cones! No freakin wonder my hear broke off!! It's manufactured by Dow-Corning. Link below. Cant believe this ish!

Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-4, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Menthol, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum)

Please note that behentrimonium chloride is actually toxic to human mucus membranse AND is used to kill algea so is not safe for groundwater.

Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate--due to it's toxicity, is ILLEGAL in some countries---wtf?! I didn't research further than that... I'm too disgusted

Deva Curl all natural? Don't buy into the hype!

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

Whaaaaaaaat!???!!!!!

Nooooo. They make me sick! Ugh!

I am glad DarkJoy you only lost 1/4 inch. I am not going to use any of my deva curl collection
at all.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I should re-post that mf'ing bs in its own thread in the main room and just sit back and watch....

greenandchic

Thank you @Cruzankink.

Update: Yes! My save worked and only down 1/4 inch! No setback...just a hiccup I guess. lol

And no, it is NOT natural! I just took a closer look at the ingredients and have no idea what half that ish is. Found the ingredients online. Bolded = WTF is THAT?

Have a look at Laueth-4!!! It's other chemical name is DIMETHICONE! This BS has cones! No freakin wonder my hear broke off!! It's manufactured by Dow-Corning. Link below. Cant believe this ish!

Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-4, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Menthol, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum)

Please note that behentrimonium chloride is actually toxic to human mucus membranse AND is used to kill algea so is not safe for groundwater.

Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate--due to it's toxicity, is ILLEGAL in some countries---wtf?! I didn't research further than that... I'm too disgusted

DarkJoy

Word??

I just looked up Laureth-4 on EWG and found this:

Function/use(s): Surfactant - Emulsifying Agent; ANTISTATIC; MASKING
About LAURETH-4: Laureth-4 is a synthetic polymer composed of lauryl alcohol and PEG (polyethylene glycol). Due to the presence of PEG, this ingredient may contain potentially toxic manufacturing impurities such as 1, ... read more
Synonym(s): PEG-4 LAURYL ETHER; POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL 200 LAURYL ETHER; POLYOXYETHYLENE (4) LAURYL ETHER; TETRAETHYLENE GLYCOL DODECYL ETHER; 3,6,9,12-TETRAOXATETRACOSAN-1-OL; LAURYL ALCOHOL TRI (OXYETHYLENE) ETHANOL
I don't see how its related to silicone unless I'm missing something even though it is toxic.

I purchased the No Poo on impulse one day without really combing though the ingredients...:nono:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
greenandchic, I found Laureth-4 on the Dow Corning website, who manufactures Laureth-4, and it lists and it lists it's other name as dimethicone. The link is in the PP. This is madness...

cocosweet

Hair profile? 4a mostly, dense fine strands

Reggie and products? Moisturize daily with Suave Trop. Coconut, Queen Helene Cholesterol DC or Aubrey's GPB 1x monthly. In light of recent developments I'll resume using Infusium 23 leave in 3-4x a week.

How do you style your hair? alternate between buns and twists

What problems do you have with your hair? ssks, stealth breakage, shedding.:nono:

I think I need to go to hair rehab. My hair has gone completely berserk. I detangled,dusted, and put my hair into large twists last night. This morning when I tried to style it tried to knot up again. I don't get it. :whyme:

I'd like to put in twist extensions and do that for about 3-6 months.

Can I DC while I have the extensions in?

Last edited:

faithVA

I've used the deva curl no-poo. It just acted as most shampoo does in my hair. Neither better or worse. I didn't incur any major breakage. But I also use on of the Deva Curl conditioners behind it. I did post in the Deva Curl thread that their products are formulated to be used together. I don't think using 1 or 2 products out of the line will yield good results.

With all that said, I will probably use my bottle up but I won't repurchase just because it is just a shampoo. But because I have the Deva Curl conditioners, they work well together.

I haven't had any negative experiences with the Deva Curl products. I do like the conditioners the most out of the product line.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thanks for chiming in faithVA. I wouldn't suspect that it would have such a bad effect for all. My fickle hair is just...well... fickle! Lol

However, the bottle clearly states no silicones. It has dimethicone under a different name. That is an outright lie that misleads customers.

faithVA

Thanks for chiming in @faithVA. I wouldn't suspect that it would have such a bad effect for all. My fickle hair is just...well... fickle! Lol

However, the bottle clearly states no silicones. It has dimethicone under a different name. That is an outright lie that misleads customers.

Yes that is misleading. Also explains to me why the conditioners work better.

Cruzankink

DarkJoy;16666097 I found Laureth-4 on the Dow Corning website said:
@DarkJoy I don't mean to beat a dead horse:deadhorse: but I remember watching yt queen and CG disciple MahoganyCurls recent vdo expressing inconsistencies b/w Lorraine Massey CG philosophy and her DevaCurl products. Appartently Massey is introducing a hairspray that contains drying alcohol and some of her products contain castor oil which according to Massey are both 1st class tickets to hair hell. I personally find that no cones or poo, even low poo, has done wonders for my hair. Castor oil does not absorb into my hair well so I stay away from it. But I'm beginning to suspect that Massey does not practice what she preaches at least when it pertains to her products. The link for the vdo is below. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCxOvFUB3zw

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

DarkJoy said:
Thank you @Cruzankink.

A lot of "natural" products contain Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate because it's a preservative alternative to parabens. But its actually just as bad or worse. It's annoying because even the natural etsy seller use it and the ingredient are great until I get to friggan Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate[. A lot of products contain parabens, but when it's all natural you expect it not to.

On another note funny how other countries protect their citizens from such chemicals.

Also, laureth-4 works as a mild surfactant and since its an emulsion it's not supposed to build-up on the hair. Kind of like peg- modified cones which a lot of Curly Girls still use.

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

Edited my post after reading more about laureth-4, but I'm still side-eyeing Lorraine Massy a little bit and think part of her CG "avoid" lists may just be so that her products seem better than the competition.

faithVA

Also, laureth-4 works as a mild surfactant and since its an emulsion it's not supposed to build-up on the hair. Kind of like peg- modified cones which a lot of Curly Girls still use.

Yeah, I was doing some research on this as well and noticed this. But I was being lazy and didn't feel like doing the full research to share it.

faithVA

As far as curly girl, the key is to avoid things that prevent the hair from maintaining hydration. Keeping that in mind then you can't go wrong. Also, her primary clientele is not 4a, 4b hair. So we have to adapt anything she says to fit our hair.

I don't use sulfates or silicones because both are drying to my hair. I do use castor oil and other oils because I can rinse them off my strands without using a sulfate shampoo. I use what she says as a guideline but I also factor in what I know about my hair.

Cruzankink

I posted this in the Komaza Hair Analysis thread. I thought I'll share it here as well.

Did my analysis yesterday w/ Jenn. Unfortunately, my analysis may not have provided a true hair status since I did not submit a sufficient hair sample for her to see my main concern which were my fried ends.

Hair Condition: Jenn said I had normal to low porosity fine hair (I always thought it was medium thickness). She said I had soft hair w/ a very defined curl pattern. (Thanx CG) From my sample she only saw 2 indications of heat damage which was a hair bubble (caused by using heat when hair isn't completely dry) and a damage shaft also caused by heat. The ends in my sample all looked freshly cut w/ no damage. Huh?! I told her that I haven't cut my hair since early June and I feel that my ends are heat damaged from the BKT. But she didn't see that so on my 3 month followup I'm gonna give them more hair in my sample to analyze. My hair follicle was fatter than my shaft thus no evidence of hair loss. Everything else looked pretty good.

Regimen/Products: She stressed that I should wash my hair at least once a week w/ low poo. She described CW as washing your face w/ lotion. I told her that poo, even low poo, dries and frizzes my hair. Her concern was ensuring that my scalp was cleansed properly. So she recommended instead of CWing after my coconut oil pre poo to use a low poo mainly on my scalp which would minimize any adverse effects. I'm gonna try her suggestion but if I see frizzing I'm gonna switch to a cleansing conditioner. She said that my weekly DC w/ quinoa protein is working out and to continue this part of my regimen. Like many of you, she said not to use more than 2 leave-in products at a time - moisturizer and sealant. Since I have fine normal to low porosity hair to use a lighter leave in.

Heat Advisory: I told Jenn eventually I want to use heat but sparingly. She recommended low heat considering I had fine hair and to use a heat protectant w/ silicone. 250-280 degrees would be enough to straighten w/ minimal damage. My Izunami is gonna be glued to 250.

Action Plan: This weekend I gonna cut what I feel are remnants of heat damage from my BKT. I'll try her recommendations on leave-ins and weekly low poo washes. Hopefully in 3 mo I'll have better results.

faithVA

[USER=337891 said:
Cruzankink[/USER];16690197]I posted this in the Komaza Hair Analysis thread. I thought I'll share it here as well.

Did my analysis yesterday w/ Jenn. Unfortunately, my analysis may not have provided a true hair status since I did not submit a sufficient hair sample for her to see my main concern which were my fried ends.

Hair Condition: Jenn said I had normal to low porosity fine hair (I always thought it was medium thickness). She said I had soft hair w/ a very defined curl pattern. (Thanx CG) From my sample she only saw 2 indications of heat damage which was a hair bubble (caused by using heat when hair isn't completely dry) and a damage shaft also caused by heat. The ends in my sample all looked freshly cut w/ no damage. Huh?! I told her that I haven't cut my hair since early June and I feel that my ends are heat damaged from the BKT. But she didn't see that so on my 3 month followup I'm gonna give them more hair in my sample to analyze. My hair follicle was fatter than my shaft thus no evidence of hair loss. Everything else looked pretty good.

Regimen/Products: She stressed that I should wash my hair at least once a week w/ low poo. She described CW as washing your face w/ lotion. I told her that poo, even low poo, dries and frizzes my hair. Her concern was ensuring that my scalp was cleansed properly. So she recommended instead of CWing after my coconut oil pre poo to use a low poo mainly on my scalp which would minimize any adverse effects. I'm gonna try her suggestion but if I see frizzing I'm gonna switch to a cleansing conditioner. She said that my weekly DC w/ quinoa protein is working out and to continue this part of my regimen. Like many of you, she said not to use more than 2 leave-in products at a time - moisturizer and sealant. Since I have fine normal to low porosity hair to use a lighter leave in.

Heat Advisory: I told Jenn eventually I want to use heat but sparingly. She recommended low heat considering I had fine hair and to use a heat protectant w/ silicone. 250-280 degrees would be enough to straighten w/ minimal damage. My Izunami is gonna be glued to 250.

Action Plan: This weekend I gonna cut what I feel are remnants of heat damage from my BKT. I'll try her recommendations on leave-ins and weekly low poo washes. Hopefully in 3 mo I'll have better results.

Does that apply to using the cleansing conditioners as well?

greenandchic

^^^^^^so is cowashing bad.

I don't think cowashing is "bad" per se, but for me, I have to use some sort of cleanser for my scalp about once a week. I get the itchies if I cowash exclusively.

For me, cowashing is good for the hair, but not so good for the scalp.

faithVA - That is a good question about cleansing conditioners...

faithVA

Doing curly girl I have always washed my scalp with something at least every other week. I use either the mudwash, Deva Curl No Poo or Deva Curl One. My scalp feels the best it ever has. I don't just use conditioner exclusively. And I don't see that changing.

Cruzankink

^^^^^^so is cowashing bad.

The Princess Jenn's concern w/ CW is the scalp not the hair. I didn't interpret her advice as CW being bad but that my scalp needs to be cleansed and CW does not clean the scalp properly. I believe that's why she recommended that I restrict my low pow wash to my scalp/roots (which is difficult considering I have a TWA). But I'll try.

Cruzankink

Does that apply to using the cleansing conditioners as well?

faithVA I did ask her that but she told me to try baby low poo (I didn't know that even existed). I was the one pushing cleansing cons I don't remember her taking a position on that. I have some cons that aren't working for me. I'm gonna mix it w/ my low poo and cleanse my scalp. I hope this would be an alternative since I need a clean scalp and get rid of products.

greenandchic SNAP!!! No wonder my scalps been itching lately! OK, for real, lo-poo/con mix here I go...

faithVA

[USER=337891 said:
Cruzankink[/USER];16692849]@The Princess Jenn's concern w/ CW is the scalp not the hair. I didn't interpret her advice as CW being bad but that my scalp needs to be cleansed and CW does not clean the scalp properly. I believe that's why she recommended that I restrict my low pow wash to my scalp/roots (which is difficult considering I have a TWA). But I'll try.

You can apply your shampoo to your hair outside the shower and just to your scalp just like you would oil your scalp. You can dilute it a bit so you can just hand part and apply. You can even massage out of the shower. Then just rinse and do your cowash from there.