Relaxed Hair Thread

I need to figure out a new hair routine. As much as I love my mini/micro braids, I gotta figure out something else to do that doesn't take hours to do so often. Maybe I'll consider relaxing every 6 months instead of 1x a year. To be honest, I'm kinda tired of the long stretches only because I have to braid to combine the two textures. Like I'm a little nervous of having loose hair because I'll have to be more gentle, but it makes styling so much easier and quicker. However I'm tired of spending hours braiding although it has greatly increased my productivity once it's all done since I can get up and go AND my scalp is cooler since it's not being smothered by my new growth. I need to find a happy medium....

I need to figure out a new hair routine. As much as I love my mini/micro braids, I gotta figure out something else to do that doesn't take hours to do so often. Maybe I'll consider relaxing every 6 months instead of 1x a year. To be honest, I'm kinda tired of the long stretches only because I have to braid to combine the two textures. Like I'm a little nervous of having loose hair because I'll have to be more gentle, but it makes styling so much easier and quicker. However I'm tired of spending hours braiding although it has greatly increased my productivity once it's all done since I can get up and go AND my scalp is cooler since it's not being smothered by my new growth. I need to find a happy medium....

Cuz, we are HERE!!
Could you maybe try cornrows? They're fast and also very protective!

That's why I leaned hard on cornrows last year bc they're faster to install, refresh and take down. BUT I keep getting some bad tangling at take down. I've been thinking about this all weekend and revisiting my old hair photos. I believe that the culprit is the straight back cornrows. I don't think cornrows in general are to blame, I think I need to revisit an old braid pattern. I used this pattern, or something similar, under my wigs all of the time. Instead of braiding straight back, I braided from the perimeters toward the center of my head. That meant that less of my hair was actually cornrowed and most of the length was plaited. My hair loves plaits. And then I cornrowed the plaited tails together straight down.

Don't judge my janky cornrows, they get the job done. Lol!

1714400186786.png 1714400240068.png

1714400668126.png

This pattern also works better for my crochet styles. I think this works best for me bc the coarsest and driest part of my head is my crown. And this means I'm not cornrowing that part of my head. So takedowns and refreshes were much easier bc less was cornrowed and it reduced tangling in the coarsest part of my head.

I started doing straight backs bc if I didn't cover them, I could bun the tails and look presentable. But I think they only work when my hair is SL or shorter.

Last edited:
@MzSwift I think my head and your head were separated at birth cause we are here (points to e-you and e-me) :laugh:

That's a great recommendation about the cornrows! I think I might do that and add some box braids up top so I don't get bored. I can't talk about anyone's cornrows cause mine be just as janky :rofl:

How do they hold up to washing?

I think I found a new product staple. Given that relaxers really open up the cuticles, I figured I should try the Redken acidic bonding concentrate mask because it’s designed to close the cuticles essentially. It’s pricey but it made a huge difference in the feel of my hair. I did a major hair treatment today to combat dryness I was feeling so I shampooed with a hydrating shampoo, k18, then layered on some deep conditioners for 30 minutes. Then I did a second deep condition with olaplex for 20 minutes which definitely helped my hair along. I saw my Redken mask and figured let me try it today and my hair felt very silky when I rinsed out after about 5 minutes.

I put some leave ins (with heat protection ) and curling gel then diffused to dry my hair. It only took an hour to detangle, style and dry after washing :yay:

dry texture - I have more clumping curls now than as a natural oddly enough.

IMG_4640.jpeg

I think I've posted about this Jojoba Oil & Lavender Curls Conditioner before. But, here's another post! I use this in my cowash rotation and it kind of gets lost because I love trying new conditioners. I buy a lot if different flavors and scents.

However, I cowashed with this last night because it was the closest condish within reach. Nothing spectacular with the cowash, rinse, or airdry.

BUT! When I took my hair down this morning to moisturize, I ran my fingers through it and thought "did I do a dc last night?". Yep! My hair wash moisturized, soft, and detangled as if I'd done a dc! It's this conditioner y'all! I'm telling you! Something in here really agrees with my hair. I'm a little past 8 weeks post and my newgrowth was laid this morning! :D

I need to stock up on this stuff!

1000009057.jpg

Ooohwee! I was scratching the bejeebus out of my scalp. I had to base the daylights out of it :lachen: I don't think I'll be stretching yearly anymore. The struggle was too real and my head was sore. I felt like my mama was doing my hair. Y'all just don't know how I was calling on Jesus name and asking the LORD to have mercy on me lbvs. Now I think I'll just relax whenever I'm tired of struggling lol I always forget the pain until I get ready to relax again :rofl:

So my scalp is a little sore, but it's not from scratching I promise lol. I based really good. But it's sore because I didn't rinse as well and as fast as I should've.

((BIG HUG)) ACV or white vinegar really helps w soreness and scabs the few times I've had those issues.

You can also follow it up with another neutralizing wash to be careful. I don't think it hurts to do too many washes but it will definitely hurt your hair if you leave any relaxer residue in. GL! :)

((BIG HUG)) ACV or white vinegar really helps w soreness and scabs the few times I've had those issues.

You can also follow it up with another neutralizing wash to be careful. I don't think it hurts to do too many washes but it will definitely hurt your hair if you leave any relaxer residue in. GL! :)
Thanks Swifty. Do you dilute the the vinegars or leave them whole?

@ItsMeLilLucky Do you do any smoothing?
Yes with my fingers. But this time I really messed up cause I did the left side 3-4 minutes less than the right side. So I need to do a hard protein treatment and in about a month's time or so I'll do a corrective because it's really bothering me :crybaby:I can't even wear a braid out because the textures are so drastically different. I can't do any style really except for braids :lachen:

Yes with my fingers. But this time I really messed up cause I did the left side 3-4 minutes less than the right side. So I need to do a hard protein treatment and in about a month's time or so I'll do a corrective because it's really bothering me :crybaby:I can't even wear a braid out because the textures are so drastically different. I can't do any style really except for braids :lachen:

:bighug:

GL!

I've done a corrective twice before after having it suggested on here and I've regretted it both times.

:bighug:

GL!

I've done a corrective twice before after having it suggested on here and I've regretted it both times.
I've done it exactly 1 other time that I can remember and it was for the same issue, only my hair was much, much, shorter :lachen:

I figure I'll go as straight as I safely can, and build up my hair back to where I want it.

I've done it exactly 1 other time that I can remember and it was for the same issue, only my hair was much, much, shorter :lachen:

I figure I'll go as straight as I safely can, and build up my hair back to where I want it.

I dunno if you can stand it but I've found it better for me to wait until my next relaxer and then bring the relaxer up the strand a bit more during smoothing.

I always waited about 6 weeks or so before doing my two correctives but they just didn't work out as well as when I just smooth the relaxer into the portion I want corrected. Does that make sense?

OH!! I wanted to come share w my community - I'm pregnant!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

It's another geriatric pregnancy for us so I'm trying to take it easy and keep the stress low. Baby is due in Jan or the end of Dec. I'll know for sure once I get the initial "ultrasound."

I still plan to texlax every 6 months in June and December. I relaxed during both of my previous pregnancies. I'm still planning to use Ayurveda in almost all of my hair care steps. I'm gonna eliminate the scalp oil for now though and just stick to an Amla and Bhringraj hair oil.

I dunno if you can stand it but I've found it better for me to wait until my next relaxer and then bring the relaxer up the strand a bit more during smoothing.

I always waited about 6 weeks or so before doing my two correctives but they just didn't work out as well as when I just smooth the relaxer into the portion I want corrected. Does that make sense?
I can't stand it :rofl::abducted::dighole:

Back