Yerba De La Negrita (scarlet Globemallow) For Thickness

CurlyRy

Background:

I originally found out about this herb through a celeb gossip site (ONTD). Here's the link to the thread: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/99444028.html?thread=17110855484

Someone asked about how to get thicker hair and a member replied with this.

Inserted quote: "Yerba de la Negrita.

I swear it's the devil. My mom put some in my shampoo as a kid because my brother started getting bald spots and I got the thickest hair EVER. I started using it again recently to prep for weight loss surgery and my hair is super thick and crazy again. You can find it at Sally's and it's like $6-8 for a big ol' bottle and you just put like two inches worth in your shampoo and shake it every morning before use
"

Although she said that you could find this at your local Sally's (two hours away for me....), I wasn't able to find it. And what's super weird is that when I asked the sales associative about the concentrate without mentioning the name, she already knew what I was talking about! She said that people have been asking about it recently. Mind y'all, I live in the middle of nowhere....I swear they must have read that ONTD post. Ppl out here lookinnnn!:lachen:

Anywhooo, the same user also said

"I've never tried the shampoos and conditioners that contain it. I was raised on the concentrate really. By yeah, I totally trust Taos Herb. The owners know their stuff. My mom just bought me a HUGE bottle of concentrate from their store about a month ago too. I'd say go ahead. It's what has my hair super thick right now."

So, if Miss Thang with all that hair swears by this brand, I said sheiiiiiit why not! I ordered some last week and got it yesterday. (Pics attached)

Information:

Like most members of the Malva family it has slippery protein in the leaves and stems we call a demulcent. Demulcents soothe dry irritated skin both inside and outside the body by coating the surface with a slippery protein coat that helps hold the moisture and has a cooling effect on the tissue.

Yerba del la Negrita is most well-known in New Mexico for its use on the hair and scalp. The slippery protein is an effective hair conditioner and if not rinsed out completely will add some curl and body to the hair. This is due to the property of the protein shrinking as it dries and causing the hair to warp slightly creating a bit of curl and coating the hair and making it appear somewhat larger.

Once the tea is combined with Yucca root and applied to the scalp, it cleanses the accumulated sebum (thickened scalp oils that plug hair follicles) and is a traditional New Mexican remedy to prevent baldness.

source: http://www.taosnews.com/lifestyle/article_61f5eec0-1769-11e5-9d70-8f26e61c3f8e.html

My Plans:

So I know that nothing will add more follicles on my head (shoot :mad:), but I love trying out herbal stuff like this. Like it's mentioned earlier, maybe it's just the way that it coats the hair that makes hair strands appear thicker. Either way I would like to try it out (and I already bought it...:wacky:). I've taken pictures of the areas of my hair that I want to be thicker and I also took a picture of my crown for comparison. I will NOT be adding this to my crown because I'm fine with the density there. I'm also adding it to my baby hairs....lol because I would like my baby hair/edges on the left side of my face to be as long as the ones on the right side of my face.

If you would like to try some out and share your results, please do! I will be sharing my results here as well :drunk:

Thoughts so far:
  • I wish that the bottle was filled up just a more. It was right up to the label (not near the top) but I mean....c'mon now
  • The scent is strong at first. It smells like the liquid for bubbles (bubbles you blow with a wand) but the scent goes away and I'm guessing it smells like that because it suppose to have a 50%+ concentration of the herbs (yucca root too)
  • It makes my baby hair that usually lay flat, curl up. Idc either way to be honest
  • One spot on my head itched after putting it on but I didn't notice it after a few minutes. Either way spot test it first! Didn't have any itching problems with it the second time.

Where to buy:
http://www.taosherb.com/store/Yerba_Hair_Care_Products.html (Where I bought it from)
http://www.riograndeherbs.com/haircare.html
http://www.aloeveracentral.com/product/ScarletConcentrate

Another LHCF link:
https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/yerba-anyone-i-love-these-products-long-cant-help-it.377273/

*All pictures are before first application. The first baby hair/edges photo is how I want the other side of my edges to look. Sorry for typos

Attachments

• IMG_4613.JPG
    IMG_4613.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 391
  • IMG_4614.JPG
    IMG_4614.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 364
  • IMG_4623.JPG
    IMG_4623.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_4624.JPG
    IMG_4624.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_4637.JPG
    IMG_4637.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 348

CurlyRy

@CurlyRy
I'll be looking forward to your results. Are you using it as a scalp pre-cleanse treatment, before you cleanse? Or, are you leaving it on?

Yup, I'm leaving it on. My wash days are kind of far apart so I don't think it would be effective for me just to do it before washing.
I also saw this on the site where I bought it from:

"Some customers have reported great results from leaving the Concentrate on the scalp after rinsing shampoo and conditioner. Clean and clear when dry, Yerba Hair Care Scalp Treatment Concentrate can be used any time on your scalp, or as a volumizer or styling aid"

So, they didn't have to tell me twice. I'm just leaving it on haha

CurlyRy

Me too... Let us know your results.. I am on a ceramide high right now so I might try this in the future.

I've been keeping with it. I'm starting to put it on my dad's scalp as well because he's had some thinning on top. I'll see if I can add his before photos to the post as well. I think that results might be more noticeable on his head lol

and I ain't about to be no hair product pusha but if you do decide to buy it and share results as well.... I wouldn't be mad at ya :eyebrows2:

Kinky4Agirl

I've been keeping with it. I'm starting to put it on my dad's scalp as well because he's had some thinning on top. I'll see if I can add his before photos to the post as well. I think that results might be more noticeable on his head lol

and I ain't about to be no hair product pusha but if you do decide to buy it and share results as well.... I wouldn't be mad at ya :eyebrows2:
Tell me something... Do you think it would be good for edges too? My night cap has thinned my edges and I'm looking for something to help them grow back faster.

CurlyRy

Tell me something... Do you think it would be good for edges too? My night cap has thinned my edges and I'm looking for something to help them grow back faster.

I'm thinking it could be. Actually, that's the main area where I apply it. I wanted thicker edges and baby hair on one side of my hair since it looks thinner than the other. I think it would be easier to see results here than throughout my hair.

I'm doing it daily so I'll for sure tag you in an update. I could do it in a month but to be honest I'm not sure how fast I should see results. Regardless, I got you!

Kinky4Agirl

I'm thinking it could be. Actually, that's the main area where I apply it. I wanted thicker edges and baby hair on one side of my hair since it looks thinner than the other. I think it would be easier to see results here than throughout my hair.

I'm doing it daily so I'll for sure tag you in an update. I could do it in a month but to be honest I'm not sure how fast I should see results. Regardless, I got you!
Awesome sauce!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I'm watching but surprised that there is so little about it on ANY hair board. Even Google searches produce very life by way of reviews or challenges. So I would love to see some tangible results before investing.

There was a previous thread about the product here on LHCF from 2009 but no follow ups.

CurlyRy

My edges are a little sparse as well as my nape and bang need a little tlc. I'll use this for the year and see how it aids me.

ooooh! Thanks for sharing pics!:wave: I'm happy that someone else is going to try it because it's nice to see results among different people. I was sick last week so I'm starting back on it now. Good luck, girl and I can't wait to see your updates :weird:

CurlyRy

I'm watching but surprised that there is so little about it on ANY hair board. Even Google searches produce very life by way of reviews or challenges. So I would love to see some tangible results before investing.

There was a previous thread about the product here on LHCF from 2009 but no follow ups.

Yuppp, ain't nottin! But I don't mind being a guinea pig. I'm in that stage of my hair journey where I want to experiment. But instead of cutting my hair and dyeing it, I'm ova here just buying random things and giving them a try hehe...cough cough I've become a product junkie :rolleyes:

CurlyRy

I appreciate you being our resident guinea pig, er, tester. Lol

I really want it to work so I can get it in June, so please be sure to update us on your results.

girl, I want it to work too:yep:...I already paid for it :lachen:

But really, it would be amazing if we could see results from this! I was even tempted just to buy both of the main herbs and see if I could make a concoction myself. But this is super convenient and I like it as a styler for my edges. But I'll be sure to do at least two updates before summer :yep:

CurlyRy

Is anyone adding the product to their spray bottle? Thanks!!!

like shawyblazes said, I just use mine straight. I only focus it on my scalp but I guess you could use it for the length of your hair as well because the ingredients are nice. I'm just doing scalp because I want full concentration :yep: