Would you say your hair is healthier since going to dominican salons?

fiercediva

Hello, I'm new here. It feels good to finally be able to post. Anyway, I wanted to know if any of you noticed a big change in the health of your hair since going to dominican salons. Did it start growing faster? and how often do you go?

Thanks

Welcome to LHCF, Fierce Diva (I like ure name, btw) :)

Ive been going to the same Dominican Salon almost 7 years now............. and my hair is way healthier. But this has very little to do with the salon. It has everything to do with LHCF though.

The first few years going to the Dominicans (before i discovered LHCF) my hair was thinner, dryer, brittle, and i had frequent split ends. This is because i let them blow my hair out every week that i went in to get it washed. I didnt know any better. And I'd say that 85% of the clients who frequent my salon opt for a blowout.

After i discovered LHCF, i learned to stretch my relaxers, minimize combing, DC weekly, wear protective styles, take supplements, moisturize, and most importantly eliminate direct heat (I now only get the roots blown out, rather than the full length). In other words: I learned how to "retain" my length..... this is something that i was totally clueless about in the past.

So to answer your question............. yes, over the course of going to a Dominican Salon, my hair has gotten progressively more healthy. But i attribute this to the fact that my OWN personal hair practices changed after i discovered this forum, rather than anything the Dominican stylists are doing.

My Pro's And Con's Of Dominican Salons:

PROS:

-many of the products used are natural based and organic (ie, garlic, avocado, coconut, olive oil, etc.)

-you're in and out within two hours (because whoever is available first will wash you, set, or blow you out... no waiting all day long like at a black salon)

-they dont really hassle you about trimming if you dont want to (many of them speak such limited English, so conversation is pretty minimal while you're in the chair)

-you control what happens to your hair (and, unlike many black stylists, they rarely argue with you about your requests and/or special instructions)

-lots of conditioner used when wet combing/detangling (most of them are pretty good at detangling long, wet hair, and do so relatively gently and efficiently)

-relatively inexpensive, depending on where you live (most rollersets will cost you between $15-$20.... in the Tri-State area anyway)

CONS:

-frequent use of direct heat via blow outs (they seem to encourage this, and when you see all of the customers before you walking out with their lovely, silky hair bouncing from a blowout, it's easy to get seduced into it)

-impatient styling natural hair (they try to encourage you to relax it if you're natural or stretching. They sometimes charge ridiculously high prices to roller set/blow out naturals)

-because they try to get folks in and out so quickly, they sometimes rush through your deep conditioning time (so you have to speak up, and insist on the full 20-25 minutes if that is what you want)

-unlike a (good) black salon, the stylists dont usually ask you questions or talk to you about hair care/overall good hair practices. The idea here it to pretty much get you in and out of their chair. While you leave the salon looking wonderful, there is no "relationship" built between client/stylist, and they arent as concerned about the health of your hair like a stylist would who you've been seeing regularly at another salon.

*I'll come back with more Pros/Cons if i think of any*

HTH!!!!!

Last edited:
I've been going since April. Absolutely,but in agreement with kinikakes, I'm only there two or three times a month. The difference is what I do at home to maintain it. If I was going there twice a month but still utilizing bad practices and using low quality products I would be at the salon with jacked up hair twice a month.

My hair literally is in love with the Deep Conditioner that I get and it gets mad at me if I get a wash and set and don't get a DC.

What I love about my shop is how much I am in control. If I want to sit for 25 mins on a DC, I can. If I don't want them to blow out the roots, I can just get it wrapped or pincurled. I can't stand to pay for services and leave unhappy so I get what I want or I don't go back. I also only get my hair done by the same gal every time. My friend recently had someone else do her hair and she said it was a disaster.

Last edited:
SkinnyMocah said:
What I love about my shop is how much I am in control. If I want to sit for 25 mins on a DC, I can. If I don't want them to blow out the roots, I can just get it wrapped or pincurled. I can't stand to pay for services and leave unhappy

ITA with this!!!!!!!

Hands down, this is my favorite part of the Dominican experience. Prior to moving to NY and discovering Dominican Salons, i was used to battling with stylists about what i wanted. Every visit to my former stylist was a power struggle--she wanted to trim, i wanted to wait.... she wanted to use a pressing comb to straighten out my edges after a wash/rollerset, i didnt want that extra heat...... she wanted to load my hair with oil sheen and/or hairspray afterward, i dont like ANY product in my hair after it is freshly washed......she would keep me waiting in the chair for hours, i had other appointments....... I recall frequently feeling frustrated, angry, and helpless.

I have NEVER experienced this since starting with the Dominicans. You pay, you control what happens to your hair. End of discussion!

I love that!!!! ;)

Last edited:
Everything Kini said!!!

Its cheap, fast and a great way to have heat styled hair without the damage! Only blow out the roots!

ITA with what the other ladies had to say! I actually managed to have a great relationship with my stylist, but the language barrier was a bit of a problem. I think that the language barrier is the key reason of why it's often difficult to establish that great stlyist/client relationship, as many of them don't know any English or very little :(

My stylist struggled with her English, but she would light up when I came in and we became close! She was the one who did a big stylist nono, which is give me the run down on all of products that she uses as well as her technique. She wanted for me to be able to take care of my hair once I left NY. So, while I agree that the majority could give two craps about you but to get in and out of the chair, there are some exceptional stylists who do care and will go the extra mile to ensure your happiness! Darnit I miss her :(

Energist said:
She was the one who did a big stylist nono, which is give me the run down on all of products that she uses as well as her technique. She wanted for me to be able to take care of my hair once I left NY.

That is really awesome! She sounds wonderful! I know you miss her.... a GOOD stylist who genuinely cares is so hard to find. :)

if you guys don't mind sharing, what dominican salons do you go to? not every salon is created equal and every lady who responded has some BANGING hair!

I agree with everything Kini said...
esp. the part about not having a relationship
its kind of cold... get in & get out
I kind of miss the conversation you have
at a Black Salon... its kind of like
you miss the whole experience but as
far as the health of my hair goes...
its more of the things I'm doing at home.
I only go once a month for a blowout.
Per KiniKanes post/fotki... I asked the
stylist to "blow out the roots"... she replied
"that's what I was going to do" as if to say
shutup but she didn't blow out the roots...THAT B****!!!
I won't be returning to that salon but Miami has
many many Dominican salons... she's already been replaced.

I am a Dominican convert!! :grin: I love all the yummy products they use, how fast I'm in and out, and how wonderful my hair looks and feels when I leave!!! Since they're used to working with long textured hair, I don't have to fight with a scissor happy stylist who "hates" working with longer hair. Thank God for my LHCF sistas, because I didn't know anything about a Dominican salon before coming here :kiss:

I am blessed to live in an area with literally hundreds of Dominican salons.

Question: I would rather that my roots not be blowed dried out. My hair is pretty easy to relax and even if I use rollers and pins that cause dents where the pins are, my hair is so fine and soft that all one has to do is wrap it, then unwrap and the dents are gone. I'm afraid that the direct heat will cause my fragile hair to break at the roots. Will the Dominicans fight with me if I demand no direct heat at all other than the rollerset? Perhaps a doobie and that's it?

Thanks for all your help.

[Judy, the Dominican stylist...here I come! ;)]

when I first started going to them, i loved them because the blow outs made my hair looked truly beautiful----awesome shine and felt so silky. plus, i loved the price ($25 for a wash/set and blow dry). however, after a year, and hundreds of blow out later, my hair became very thin. so, now i still go to them because of teh price, but I just get rollersets. i bring my own products though: CON shampoo )greena dn whote bottle) and saler 21. i let them u use their conditioner since i havent found one i truly truly love.

I would say YESSSSSS!!!!!! I've been going to the dominican salon for approx 15yrs. Since going to them I no longer relax my hair with "super" optimum and color my hair with dark and lovely permanent color (golden bronze). I use rinses now. I no longer relax every 4 weeks(8-10wks now). I use affirm sensative scalp relaxer now. I no longer get my hair blow dried every week when I get my wash & sets (only roots now). I also get a deep cond every week. Some of these practices were learned here at LHCF. So between the dominican salon and the LHCF I know I can reach BSL. I'm trying for BSL by the end of the year. The dominican prices for touch ups($40) and wash & sets($17) are reasonable.

Last edited:
Serenity_Peace said:
I am blessed to live in an area with literally hundreds of Dominican salons.

Question: I would rather that my roots not be blowed dried out. My hair is pretty easy to relax and even if I use rollers and pins that cause dents where the pins are, my hair is so fine and soft that all one has to do is wrap it, then unwrap and the dents are gone. I'm afraid that the direct heat will cause my fragile hair to break at the roots. Will the Dominicans fight with me if I demand no direct heat at all other than the rollerset? Perhaps a doobie and that's it?

Thanks for all your help.

[Judy, the Dominican stylist...here I come! ;)]

They don't, at my shop. My friend N goes every few weeks and she refuses to let them use the hand dryer on her so after her rollers come out they wrap it up for her and she goes on her merry way.

SouthernTease said:
I agree with everything Kini said...
esp. the part about not having a relationship
its kind of cold... get in & get out

I kind of miss the conversation you have
at a Black Salon... its kind of like
you miss the whole experience but as
far as the health of my hair goes...
its more of the things I'm doing at home.
I only go once a month for a blowout.
Per KiniKanes post/fotki... I asked the
stylist to "blow out the roots"... she replied
"that's what I was going to do" as if to say
shutup but she didn't blow out the roots...THAT B****!!!
I won't be returning to that salon but Miami has
many many Dominican salons... she's already been replaced.

the bolded is so true. i do like the fact that they dont pressure you to get a trim unlike my old stylist she would just trim without even asking. i do wish there was more of a client stylist relationship but i rely on LHCFto guide me in the right direction. but i LOVE how I am in and out of there.

as far as the health of my hair i've been going to them for about 8 months. I have never gotten a blow out from them. I never saw the need to. my hair has started to retain length but I owe that to the knowledge i have learned here rather than the dominican salon. i still have a long way to go in terms of the health of my hair. which was damaged b4 i even started going to the dominicans. right now i only go to them for touch ups because i am trying to save.

Thank You so much for your replies. Now I know what to expect when I decide to go. As long as they don't rake all of my hair out of my head, I'm good.

And if they start, ask them to stop. My salon uses a wide tooth comb during detangling, I make sure of it. Be vocal you're paying money for a service, get what you want!

I've been twice to dominican salons and I just CAN'T stand how hot the blow dryer was:eek: :eek: has to be damaging:eek: !!!!!The end result the first time was fab...but IMO it was not worth it....I'll stick with the rollerset!!!!:)

Energist said:
ITA with what the other ladies had to say! I actually managed to have a great relationship with my stylist, but the language barrier was a bit of a problem. I think that the language barrier is the key reason of why it's often difficult to establish that great stlyist/client relationship, as many of them don't know any English or very little :(

My stylist struggled with her English, but she would light up when I came in and we became close! She was the one who did a big stylist nono, which is give me the run down on all of products that she uses as well as her technique. She wanted for me to be able to take care of my hair once I left NY. So, while I agree that the majority could give two craps about you but to get in and out of the chair, there are some exceptional stylists who do care and will go the extra mile to ensure your happiness! Darnit I miss her :(

If you don't mind sharing, what was your stylists technique? She did a great job passing the info along to you.

Back