**WHY CHRISTIANS MUST STOP PASSING JUDGEMENT ON CHRISTIAN MUSICIANS**

Gosh I hate doing this... I mean starting threads like this... Anyways...
Ladies you must understand, just because they put out a cd doesn't mean that they are making MEGA BUCKS off of their cd... I know, because I have seen their expenses... My boyfriend and many other people live very happily off of musician's expenses... as they should. The bible clearly tells us NOT TO MUZZLE THE OX, and making a cd is HARD WORK... even harder work for the behind the scenes people... The artists really do the least
Making an album costs money... You must pay for:
  • studio time (approx. $300 per hour, one song can take up to 2 hours to record)
  • mixing and mastering (making the cd radio ready... can cost up to $1000 per song)
  • beats (the background music) these can cost up to $20,000 per song!!!!! and then the composer takes most of the royalties
  • writing (most songs are written by an artist of an outside source) lyrics can be up to $20,000 and the writer collects most of the royalties
  • album cover art (graphic design and original artwork can be up to $3000 plus royalties for each cd sold)
  • Distribution (putting in the stores) this is usually done by way of a deal, and a distribution deal is not a gift, it is like a house loan... they put you in stores, itunes, and on the radio and then your album sales must pay them back all of the money... it is an advance, not a gift
  • Concerts- you have to pay people to set up, break down, be back up singers, do lighting, sound, everything... The crew takes at least 50 people, and each make at least 50,000 per year, and thats cheap
  • Makeup, wardrobe, cooks, fitness coaches...
Then, to get a record or distribution deal, you have to prove to the major labels that your music is worth backing. It is a investment. If people like your music, then they make money first, and you will make about 100,000 from your tour if you havent spent it all on havin a life... its not all the glamour you think it is!!! Many artists that go quiet after one album do it because of debt!!! They owe their label thousands and thousands just like many people owe their loan providers for school. It is a big deal and a big risk and an even bigger responsibility!!! And they rarely get a significant amount of royalties if they only sang on the song and didnt write anything...
Be proud of your Christian musicians, because it is a tough world they live in, and many of them are either broke and have a 9-5. Trust me, I have met many mainstream artists, and they all make money from their books, non-profit orgs, live performances, endorsemets, and their home businesses, not from their music. All the music does is make you popular.
Stop hating on Mary Mary, please just support them and buy their music. And do the same for every Christian artist that you hear and enjoy... because they are probably broke trying to give a good word to everyone around them.

brg240

I don't think people are hating on Mary Mary :/ Correction I don't think the majority of people are; disagreeing with someone =/= hating.

momi

Hi music! I see that you are truly passionate about this subject. Although I am well-aware of much of the science behind the music industry I really dont see what difference this makes.

As far as folks making observations about people in the business - that just goes with the territory. . If someone does not want any criticism they should stay out of the spotlight. Just my humble cant sing a lick opinion.

blazingthru

I am not hating on Mary Mary, I have all of their CDs except the last one. some of them I have brought twice. This is before I becames aware of what is really going on. God gives some of us special talents. Even our jobs are a blessing, we are still held accountable for how we spend our money. I don't believe that all these things you listed above is something God would want you to burden yourself with this is not how he would want you to use your talent. When its something thats truly a blessing from the Lord, I beleive everything falls into place as it should. There is this guy I can't think of his name but his program is called Acts of the Word. he just talks or puts on a one man show. Its actually good, he memorizes books of the bible and he talks it out. Its like back in biblical days when you went to the temple this is how it was read to you. He had a great chance of being very successful in TV & News whatever, but God called him out of that life these are his words and this is what he does not he goes around just reading the bible but he isn't reading it he memorizes entire books. Its truly a blessing to hear him. Different but interesting. he actually memeorize seven books in the bible. He said it took him a year and a half to do each book. Amazing. Its hard to book him at church he is so busy.

divya

I personally am not passing judgment on Mary Mary, but just because particular artists are Christian does not mean I should buy their music. They've made one or two songs that I like but that's it. Not my style or taste in Christian music.

I personally am not passing judgment on Mary Mary, but just because particular artists are Christian does not mean I should buy their music. They've made one or two songs that I like but that's it. Not my style or taste in Christian music.

Thats cool I don't regularly buy their cds either... but I also don't listen to their songs and complain about them... not saying that you do, but my guess is plenty of people on here do that... its just counterproductive

Hi music! I see that you are truly passionate about this subject. Although I am well-aware of much of the science behind the music industry I really dont see what difference this makes.

As far as folks making observations about people in the business - that just goes with the territory. . If someone does not want any criticism they should stay out of the spotlight. Just my humble cant sing a lick opinion.

I feel you, but if everyone stayed out of the spotlight, who would then be the light in the dark world? What would Christians listen to? If they were called to be in the spotlight then why should we make it miserable for them? They, just like female speakers such as Michelle McKinney Hammond were all called to do what they do... We can't just tell them to be out of the "spotlight"... why even have a ministry then?
Thats like saying I shouldn't have sang at my church on Sunday so that i could avoid the criticism.... I didn't want to sing a solo... the church asked me, and so I feel like God told me... Who am I to say no? You can't dismiss your calling... God will make you miserable if you do that. He will put a weight on you so heavy that you wont be able to breathe, and I've felt that many times...

BeautifulFlower

Yeah, judgements come with the territory but Christians are the most critical to be honest.

Maybe in death people with learn to leave them alone like MJ. :(

saved06

There shouldn't even be a gospel music industry and I thought as "gospel" musicians you are actually supposed to live as Christ taught hmmmm.....we really should be birthing our own songs in the church...but that's another issue I don't have energy to get into

divya

Thats cool I don't regularly buy their cds either... but I also don't listen to their songs and complain about them... not saying that you do, but my guess is plenty of people on here do that... its just counterproductive

Are people really complaining about them or are they just stating what they see? And how do you know?

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

There shouldn't even be a gospel music industry and I thought as "gospel" musicians you are actually supposed to live as Christ taught hmmmm.....we really should be birthing our own songs in the church...but that's another issue I don't have energy to get into

But why not?

This sounds like exclusionary mumbo jumbo... Like oh by the way, missionaries should only go to other churches and preach instead of trying to minister to the world...
I'd like to hear the rest of that... Just to see if this really was as off as it sounded

msa

I'm confused about what the music making process has to do with people not liking Mary Mary.

And for the record...
Dislike is not the same as "hating".
Dislike is not the same as judgment.

MA2010

Are people really complaining about them or are they just stating what they see? And how do you know?

The majority of us are doing the latter I believe.

No doubt these ladies may work hard and get paid little to nothing, got it.

But does this change the fact that many in the faith are finding affirmation in the world when those who are "called" to minister look and sound just as such? I think it confuses people.

Where is our separation? Were we not called to be apart?

momi

The majority of us are doing the latter I believe.

No doubt these ladies may work hard and get paid little to nothing, got it.

But does this change the fact that many in the faith are finding affirmation in the world when those who are "called" to minister look and sound just as such? I think it confuses people.

Where is our separation? Were we not called to be apart?

Exactly - it is not really that hard to understand -unless one is trying to find a truth or principle in the word that is just not there.

I'm not into separation... I think that sounds like you're "too good" to be around those non-christians... Which I know that probably isn't what you mean, but I have very close relationships with non-believers and they have always said they saw something different in me... While I am different, I'm not gonna separate myself from them.. I may be the very little bit if God they ever see in their lives

Ramya

Please don't take this the wrong way but the way that the industry runs is not my problem or concern. My concern comes with the finished product. If I don't like the finished product, there's no reason that I should support it. ESPECIALLY when I feel the message is incomplete or contradictory.

queenspence

I think that for some artists it would be easier or more acceptable to take out Christian/Gospel and use Inspirational as their genre. Why? If the world doesn't see a difference in their image and lifestyle, then why as christians do we compromise? Or made to feel guilty if we don't support some of these projects?
It's not just Christians that criticize some of these artists, the secular world does too. They are looking for something different than what's presented by r & b artists. It takes more than just placing God or Jesus in a song and thinking that makes it Christian. What if Marilyn Manson kept all things the same but talked about God in his music, would that then qualify his music as Christian? Probably not-
There are several artists that have made more of an impact not labeled as Christian than some of those that are- great example is MJ- his music was very inspirational and had a positive message but he was under the pop genre- just a thought

Last edited:

luvn_life

Yeah, judgements come with the territory but Christians are the most critical to be honest.

Maybe in death people with learn to leave them alone like MJ. :(

I was think about that yesterday that Christians are so critical and hypocritical. That's why so many people don't get to learn of Jesus Christ becuase of the people. I'm a Christian, so don't stone me. I think it's the truth. I think so many people are judgemental and think that Christian music is supposed to be one way and music is supposed to be one way.

I'm sorry but other religions are way nicer and act more out of love than alot of Christians I know. That's why I'm glad my mother taught to look to the throne and not at people because someone will always have something to say about your life and you way of doing things because it doesn't fit THEIR lifestyle.

queenspence

I agree that as humans we can all be critical, hypocritical, and judgmental. However, when you have a standard or measuring stick, it should give things some balance. That's why I am glad Jesus is the perfect example and the Bible is specific about how we should conduct ourselves, shun the appearance of evil, come out of the world, etc.

MA2010

I was think about that yesterday that Christians are so critical and hypocritical. That's why so many people don't get to learn of Jesus Christ becuase of the people. I'm a Christian, so don't stone me. I think it's the truth. I think so many people are judgemental and think that Christian music is supposed to be one way and music is supposed to be one way.

I'm sorry but other religions are way nicer and act more out of love than alot of Christians I know.I That's why I'm glad my mother taught to look to the throne and not at people because someone will always have something to say about your life and you way of doing things because it doesn't fit THEIR lifestyle.

How so (to the bolded)?

Everyone of us should be looking to the throne, I agree with you there.

We should be building personal relationships with Christ, not building a "religion" anyways.

But if I, Manushka, wanted to become a Christian/ Gospel musician/artist I would think those who believe in the Gospel/ Christianity would have expectations of me. I would understand that and work towards what aligns with what the "Good News" is.

There were/are expectations of Mary Mary (the song, and the outfits) that fell short for most of us is all. :ohwell:

Last edited:

MA2010

Please don't take this the wrong way but the way that the industry runs is not my problem or concern. My concern comes with the finished product. If I don't like the finished product, there's no reason that I should support it. ESPECIALLY when I feel the message is incomplete or contradictory.

If I could thank you a million times over I would!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I agree that as humans we can all be critical, hypocritical, and judgmental. However, when you have a standard or measuring stick, it should give things some balance. That's why I am glad Jesus is the perfect example and the Bible is specific about how we should conduct ourselves, shun the appearance of evil, come out of the world, etc.

Interpretation? No internet, no telephones, no television, no dancing, no dating, no eating out at restaurants, no nuttin. Because honestly, if people want to return to how people lived in Jesus' time, women wouldn't go to church when they menstruated, men would be studying the word day and night and women would work to support them...a host of other -isms with people attempting to guilt others into more legalism. I'm not talking about so-called legalistic orthodox Judaism, goodness knows that christians have their own legalistic hierarchical system.

Or would it be Victorian Age in design? Medieval? European, Middle-eastern? African? No one knows what is the line between christian culture and non-christian culture. So that's when fence laws were invented...and it's been building since Moses. So, to some, even having a cd player is rather sinful and worldly and to others, listening to some beats while "Jesus" is in the refrain is equally considered worldly. But if Victorian christians were to ressurect in this day and age and sit through a typical church service, we'd be reburying them 1/2 way through the service.

msa

I think that for some artists it would be easier or more acceptable to take out Christian/Gospel and use Inspirational as their genre.

I completely agree with you.

It's interesting for me because in my musical choices I look for lyrics that are inspirational and uplifting to me. Throughout my teenagehood I found more inspiration (and positive motivation) in India Arie's music than I did anywhere else because she spoke to the exact issues I was dealing with.

There are many gospel/Christian artists that should be categorized as Inspirational and not necessarily Christian. Throwing "God" or "Praise the Lord" in the song doesn't make it Christian, that's for sure.

ILYandY

I understand everyone's point of view and agree with some:

As for the business side of things it is not important to me it's whats in the music that matter to me for example I used to listen to rap and Lil Kim and Adina Howard and artist alike without a care in the world for G-D until I heard the " controversial " (who people claim him to be) Kirk Franklin remake of Why I sing, it wasn't until then that I started to search for G-D to gain my knowledge.

I said that to say; to a person like me Kirk Franklin made it cool to know G-D people may disagree with his style and Mary Mary style of trying to touch people but you have to understand some people didn't start going to church and or reading scriptures until those artist made songs that were trendy and not of the traditional gospel hymms.

divya

I'm sorry but other religions are way nicer and act more out of love than alot of Christians I know. That's why I'm glad my mother taught to look to the throne and not at people because someone will always have something to say about your life and you way of doing things because it doesn't fit THEIR lifestyle.

Where are you and your family from, if you don't mind me asking?

Renovating

ITA. :yep::yep:

luvn_life

How so (to the bolded)?

Everyone of us should be looking to the throne, I agree with you there.

We should be building personal relationships with Christ, not building a "religion" anyways.

But if I, Manushka, wanted to become a Christian/ Gospel musician/artist I would think those who believe in the Gospel/ Christianity would have expectations of me. I would understand that and work towards what aligns with the what the "Good News" is.

There were/are expectations of Mary Mary (the song, and the outfits) that fell short for most of us is all. :ohwell:

I know Muslims, Buddhists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons that are way nicer. One of my mom's friends said that before she became a Christian she was studying or practicing (as you can see I don't know what you call it:) ) to be a Jehovah's Witness and that they were sooooo nice. Way nicer than most Christians she had encountered. She just believes that Christianity is the right religion so that is why she decided to stick with it. And I have witnessed that too. If you ask most non Christians what they think of Christians they will tell you they are judgemental, hyprocritical and just plain mean sometimes and a whole bunch of "youcan't do this and you can't do that". Heck, if a non Christian read this thread they might think that.

Also, I think that Mary Mary's goal is to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. But to a wider audience than just older Christians. She wants to affect young people and the older generation and alot of Christian songs are just kinda boring or the same old sound. I personally like contemporary stuff like Israel and I also like the Katinas (Not sure if you've heard of them) and other groups when it comes to my Christian music.

I agree that if you decide to go into the gospel genre that you have to know that you are set apart from other genres. But, you still have to appeal to those that buy music and the younger crowd are the people that truly buy music and download(That's a true statistic). But, you have to also know that you will never please everybody and at the end of the day just try your best.

And trust me I'm not judging what you're saying at all. I understand that we all have opinions and that we are free to express them:)

P.S. I like your hair in your sig.

Last edited: