Why are my strands splitting?

Belle Du Jour

When my hair sheds (or breaks) and I examine the strands, they are extremely fine, and split! I don't get it. I've been loving my hair for 2 years now: treating it right, giving it TLC, staying away from harsh products, praying to God. And still I get no love in return. What's a girl to do?

I'm at the point where I just want to shave my head off. But that would make me :cry2: Because I really want long hair! But I'm starting to believe that it isn't possible. Any suggestions?

I'm at the end of my rope. . .

Vintagecoilylocks

Classimami713,

I was looking at your journal. One thing first even when we decide we are going to take care of our hair and learn things to do we may still be going about it wrong or not to the best of our hair. I went through this. made some progres but still had breakage and dry hair.

First the hair that was damaged still needs to grow out. Some damage cannot be repaired. so you may still have some of that hair on your head.

Now if you have fine hair like you say in my opinion you may be still strping it to much. Conditioner still has the elements of shampoo just diluted and with other ingredients. So you may want to do only CW and do away with shampoo. That change made significants positive results for me. No matter how gental the shampoo unless a simple natural one it may still be more than you need. The conditioners will add moisture.

Then reevaluate your moisturizing items. Try changing from a conditioner fro pre-poo to a simple oil and honey. Add honey to final conditioner.
Let dry naturally and examine if hair is dry or moist. If moist then it is a good balance. If dry change conditioners or stretch out washing. If moist now you want to experiment with what will retain moisture while letting in more moisture during day. An alchohol free glycerin product maybe. So you need your emoillient also.

I would have to say my first impresion is you are using alot of product on top of product and may not really fully have good understanding of your natural state of hair and what it does or does not need. The products may be reacting to each other mean while neglecting your hair needs.

If it is breaking and splitting yes you are not completely on the right track.

Also I treat the hair closer to my scalp and half way down different slightly them the longer lengths. Because the longer is older. I baggie the longer but before starting that I had been split free for 2 years.

Hope this helps

Vintagecoilylocks

I forgot also to follow all washings with a ACV rinse. 1pt vinegar to 8pt water. like 1 oz. vinegar to 8oz water. Distilled water. This will close the scales of your hair.
Between washings I spray with rose water or distilled followed with my pomade or before the sray if using glycerin based. I check my hair in the morning and before bed to treat as needed.

I use protecitve styles and sleep on satin. :)

chellee

Vintagecoilylocks said:
I forgot also to follow all washings with a ACV rinse. 1pt vinegar to 8pt water. like 1 oz. vinegar to 8oz water. Distilled water. This will close the scales of your hair.
Between washings I spray with rose water or distilled followed with my pomade or before the sray if using glycerin based. I check my hair in the morning and before bed to treat as needed.

I use protecitve styles and sleep on satin. :)

WOW Vintage, you give such good advice. Thanks! (even though you were clearly not talking to me)

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Since your hair is fine, you have to take extra steps to prevent split ends. I like the advice that previous posters has suggested.

beloved1

Don't give up girl, you're just learning more about your hair everyday.

How often are you dusting/ trimming? Maybe if you dust more regularly you can keep the split ends to minimal while retaining your length.

Belle Du Jour

Thanks to everyone! Vintagecoilylocks, that was great advice. I'm going to print it out. Like you said, I must NOT be doing something right. But I don't exactly know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

beloved1 said:
Don't give up girl, you're just learning more about your hair everyday.

How often are you dusting/ trimming? Maybe if you dust more regularly you can keep the split ends to minimal while retaining your length.

I dust my ends pretty regularly. So I don't get why my strands are splitting in the middle and end of the shaft.

Vintagecoilylocks

Classimami713,

I hope you find the cure. One more important thing. OUr hair can only be as strong as it comes out of our head. Eat right get your vitamins and proper protein. Everything after it leaves the head is the strongest it can be. No product can make it sturdier if it came out weak it can only build up on it for temporary results.

Keep it moisturized, sealed and protected. I had to except some truths that my hair can only e handled limited amount of ways. I gave up alot of use of heat and styling. My diet was always good but I improved it with vitamons and etter proper nutrition. MY hair is thin and delicate and I know it but I still can not go against its natural ability to with stand harsh treatment.

I was reading where it says that thin hair which you say you have does not have the medulla center like medium to thick hair. Another reason for extra care, moisture and emoliient and physical protection.

Happy growing. It will come.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
That's great advice Vintagecoilylocks, I'm going to save that because my hair is also going through some changes.

Good luck Classimami713, let us know what works for you! :)