What to do? What to do? Newbie in DESPERATE need of advice

sonychari

Hello ladies! I've been lurking for a couple years now and desperation has forced me out of lurkdom. So, I did an aphogee two step protein treatment last night in preparation for my relaxer this friday and I think it gave me a protein overload...little pieces of hair are breaking off left and right :cry:. I put some moisturizer in my hair to see if it would help with the breakage and it hasn't. My question is: Do you all think it is too late for me to wash and do a moisturizing deep condition? I realize that I'm not supposed to wash for at least three days prior to relaxing, but do you think I could get by with just two days? Please help. Thanks.

I think you should try to postpone your relaxer and use moisturizing DCs until your hair feels normal again. If you can't postpone it, then do a moisturizing DC and try to avoid scratching or irritating your scalp when applying/rinsing it out.

Last edited:
Relaxers strip a lot of moisture from ur hair, the last thing u want to at this point is to strip more moisture from ur hair. I agree with SpicyPisces, you need to postpone your relaxer. I would wait a couple of weeks so you can do at least 2-3 DC and return the moisture to ur hair.

I agree with the ladies.

My advice would be for you to pull out your most superior moisturizing deep conditioner and carefully saturate your hair root to tip before sitting under the dryer for 30 minutes. Next, allow the conditioner to sit for an additional hour or two, or overnight. Rinse well and apply the thickest, creamiest, most moisturizing leave-in conditioner you have (it cannot contain cones or protein), then seal with your oil of choice. Air dry in a ponytail/bun.

The following day, co-wash with your thickest, creamiest, most moisturizing conditioner (no cheapies, and no protein or cones), and let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing. Then, apply the leave-in and oil as mentioned above before air drying in a ponytail/bun.

The next day, co-wash again, then DC with your creme de la creme deep conditioner as instructed above. By this time, the protein should have loosened its stranglehold on your hair. If it has, I believe that it would be safe for you to make preparations to relax your hair.

HTH!

ETA: you can relax three days after the last co-wash and DC

Hello ladies! I've been lurking for a couple years now and desperation has forced me out of lurkdom. So, I did an aphogee two step protein treatment last night in preparation for my relaxer this friday and I think it gave me a protein overload...little pieces of hair are breaking off left and right :cry:. I put some moisturizer in my hair to see if it would help with the breakage and it hasn't. My question is: Do you all think it is too late for me to wash and do a moisturizing deep condition? I realize that I'm not supposed to wash for at least three days prior to relaxing, but do you think I could get by with just two days? Please help. Thanks.

sonychari let us know how your hair is going. Did you do a deep conditioning with a conditioner without protein? That is the best bet and moisturize and seal you hair like crazy... I have never tried PJaye method, it is worth it to give it a shot. Also I too would cancel your relaxer appointment. Do you really need to relax right away? If you can delay it, it would be better for your hair health. If your problem is not fixed, relaxing will compound the issue. Good Luck and let us know. HHJ!

sonychari - been there/done that. Took weeks to correct the imbalance. Even then, I don't think it was 100% corrected but I had postponed my relaxer by weeks to correct the imbalance until it got to the point that I couldn't stretch anymore.

PJaye provided great tips but I didn't have the time to cowash daily to correct the problem immediately so I simply kept my moisture up and bunned. I washed and DC'd weekly until I ended my stretch. Staying away from the things the PJaye mentioned.

Ladies, thanks to all of you for the wonderful advice. I guess I'll try to stretch a little while longer as you all suggest and add moisture moisture moisture like PJaye says. I am disappointed though. Friday would have been twelve weeks on the dot. My longest stretch so far...I've been joyfully anticipating this relaxer for WEEKS. Thanks again. I'll let you all know how it goes.

sonychari - you must do what's best for your hair but I protein overloaded somewhere around 12 weeks and was forced to 16 weeks to correct the overload. I think I did more harm than good stretching as long as I did with trying to correct the protein overload. My hair was breaking and getting matted from stretching, a technique that I had not yet quite mastered at the time. If I could rewind the clock, I would have just went in for my TU at 13 weeks, giving my hair one week to recover from weeks 12 to 13. Again do what you feel is best, though.

Big thanks to Angelicus, SpicyPisces, dachsies_rule!, DayDreamist, PJaye, Bnster, and divachyk for all your advice concerning this dilemma I had. I got my relaxer and didn't burn at all. Also, my hair has stopped breaking. Thanks ladies :kiss:!

Back