What is your haircare?

BlackBelle

Hello everyone. I was just wondering how you all take care of your hair esp. if it is long. I recently tried to go natural but than stopped and right now my hair is short and very thin. I decided not to trim my hair until it gets to about mid-back and then cut/trim it to my shoulders. I use motion products in my hair and carrot oil. I used to roller set my hair but now I use a curling iron and flat iron. I tried to use Hair Formula 37 but it makes me sick to my stomach. Do any of you have any suggestion on how I can make my hair grow faster?
Thanks

Hi Blackbelle! I'm sure the ladies here can give you great advice but maybe you need to be more specific about your hair. Did it get shorter because of breakage?

What I do know is using too much heat can be damaging. If you want longer hair, sometimes the case isn't how fast your hair is growing, but how much you are retaining. Meaning that your hair is growing, but breaking off so that you never have a chance to see the length.Also, how often are you relaxing? What is your hair type? Are you flat ironing and curling everyday? How often do you wash, and how often do you moisturize?

Yes it did get shorter b/c of breakage. My hair type is 4a/4b. I put a relaxer every six weeks. I wash my hair twice a week. I use a leave in conditioner. I curl my hair everyday. I iron my hair after each wash. I don't use any moisturizers.

That sounds like quite a bit of heat to be using.I know each person is different but my hair will be fried if I did that.Do you get lots of splits?
I would say give airdrying and protective styling a try.
As far as increasing one's growth rate,their are supplements you can take to do that eg biotin.Their are also supplements that help keep your hair healthy like MSM or flax seed oil etc.
Exercise and scalp massage are also good for upping your growth rate and of course eating a healthy diet high in protein and drinking lots of water(I drink 1.5 -2 litres a day)
You should also look into a good daily moisturizer.(I like Profectiv Breakfree and have just discovered John Frieda Secret Weapon)
Try doing a search on this board on various supplements to find out more about them.

Hope this helps!

[ QUOTE ]
BlackBelle said:
Hello everyone. I was just wondering how you all take care of your hair esp. if it is long. I recently tried to go natural but than stopped and right now my hair is short and very thin. I decided not to trim my hair until it gets to about mid-back and then cut/trim it to my shoulders. I use motion products in my hair and carrot oil. I used to roller set my hair but now I use a curling iron and flat iron. I tried to use Hair Formula 37 but it makes me sick to my stomach. Do any of you have any suggestion on how I can make my hair grow faster?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome!
wave.gif

Why did you stop rollersetting? I think it might be easier on your hair than the flat ironing and curling. Or at least if you aren't willing to completely give up the heat, choose either curling or flat-ironing, and not both.

I would also suggest trying a moisturizer. Your hair may be breaking from dryness. There are a lot of good recommendations on this board if you do a search. Which moisturizer you choose depends on your hair type and probably also how you plan to wear your hair daily. Also, another suggestion I would have is not relaxing so often. The chemicals can really take their toll on your hair in the long run, especially if you aren't moisturizing or using any sort of reconstructor. Do you think you'd be able to wait a little longer between touchups?

Yes, I think that I would be able to wait a little longer for putting relaxers. The reason why I stopped rollersetting is because I just became lazy since I started college.So much studing and running around. I think I will start back with rollersetting. Thanks for you advices.

[ QUOTE ]
BlackBelle said:
I just became lazy since I started college.So much studing and running around.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was an overwhelmed undergrad, I wore my hair in braids. Maybe you could grow it to shoulderlength between now and summer time if you kept it braided without relaxing for 6 months? Let it grow with minimal manipulation.
smile.gif

megonw, how did you keep your hair in braids for 6 months?
Did you wash and braid? Can you tell me what you did so that I can get a better understanding of what I need to do with my hair.
Thanks.

My hair is in braids right now. I keep mine in for 2 months, shampoo once a week, rinse a couple times a week, and moisturize with African Gold braid spray and Infusium 23 2 times a day. Sometimes I switch up the moisturizers, but that's my main routine and so far my hair is doing great.

No problem, Blackbelle. Another thing I forgot to add is when you take your braids out, make sure you gently separate any knots in your hair with your hands first before you even think about combing it! So much of my hair broke off from doing this and also because I wasn't keeping it moisturized. The bigger the braids are, the easier it will be on your hair, especially around the hairline. And one last thing, don't get them too tight!!

Back