Vlogging vs Blogging

Shadiyah

To all that are making videos on youtube and running blogs. As far as making money with hair care. We know that youtubers will receive free products to review but how many will receive them that are blogers?

Theresamonet

The popular bloggers receive items for review also. I see "item sent for review" disclaimers at the end of blog posts often. But I think it is much easier for vloggers to gain a following and be noticed by companies. I think bloggers have to work harder to stand out.

Tiye

It depends on the individual. Afrobella, for example, is a blogger who has built her name into a brand. And whether you're a blogger or a vlogger you have to seek out business opportunities they don't just come to you.

westNDNbeauty

As a bloggers who also has a YouTube channel I will say your free product power has more to do with your numbers and less to do with whether you are a blogger or vlogger.

Just as people can subscribe to a YouTube channel people can subscribe to a blog or FB fan page. Even your twitter and instagram numbers can be powerful in being able to request products from companies or have companies find you (which they often do).

Shadiyah

Thank you all I am trying to figure this out and to find out if I need to purchase a domain. I know the answer is yes???

Seamonster

I vlog, and blog, just like biggy says, 'I don't get nathing, but penetration'. No one is offering me anything for free. My you tube subscribers is a little less than a thousand, and my blog following is almost nothing like 16 people:yawn:, but they must be studious cause my blog got 17,000 hits this year. Oh, I am not looking for any free products to review either.

Take a look at the people that get free products, mostly it is the glamorous ones. They make sure their editing is on point, have great intros, and photos. They say cute things about product they don't like, like 'it might work for you'. They give you discount codes to make purchases. Some only provide reviews for the items they like. Make sure you put the bells and whistles in, be glamorous, and do a lot of glowing positive reviews.

Down and dirty vloggers like myself know we have to do like Erikah Badu 'I got to reach down in my purse, pay our way, pay they way, and sometimes our cousins way' If you go on you tube looking all cray cray, bad make up, cellie braids, cheap webcam, no editing, twisting your neck and telling companies off for selling janky products, like I do- I got to buy my own products to do that.

Shadiyah

I vlog, and blog, just like biggy says, 'I don't get nathing, but penetration'. No one is offering me anything for free. My you tube subscribers is a little less than a thousand, and my blog following is almost nothing like 16 people:yawn:, but they must be studious cause my blog got 17,000 hits this year. Oh, I am not looking for any free products to review either.

Take a look at the people that get free products, mostly it is the glamorous ones. They make sure their editing is on point, have great intros, and photos. They say cute things about product they don't like, like 'it might work for you'. They give you discount codes to make purchases. Some only provide reviews for the items they like. Make sure you put the bells and whistles in, be glamorous, and do a lot of glowing positive reviews.

Down and dirty vloggers like myself know we have to do like Erikah Badu 'I got to reach down in my purse, pay our way, pay they way, and sometimes our cousins way' If you go on you tube looking all cray cray, bad make up, cellie braids, cheap webcam, no editing, twisting your neck and telling companies off for selling janky products, like I do- I got to buy my own products to do that.

Seamonster LOL :lachen: You had me dying over here. man you are funny. Well I have been thinking about this for months because I can't be seen on the videos and who wants to see me all covered up anyway. I will feature my family and friends if I do it. lol I guess I will just step it up with my blogging.

I just notice you don't have any ads next to your videos??

Last edited:

KimPossibli

Supergirl

Truth!

I'm about to subscribe because this was too funny though :)

Seamonster

Seamonster LOL :lachen: You had me dying over here. man you are funny. Well I have been thinking about this for months because I can't be seen on the videos and who wants to see me all covered up anyway. I will feature my family and friends if I do it. lol I guess I will just step it up with my blogging.

I just notice you don't have any ads next to your videos??

Ads are different than free products, google puts ads on my videos. Videos of friends and family don't usually qualify for ads. I have seen channels where the person does voice over, and videos the product being reviewed.

If you have a great camera presence, and come across as genuine, Many of us would like to see you covered up. Hello, you probably look better in a veil than I do with thin spots. I wear a veil on many of my videos to look better. I search the hijab videos for scarf ideas (I hope that is not disrespectful:look:)

tiffjust2002

I am a blogger and yes it a number's game with companies to get free product for review. Some companies come to me, in the beginning of my blogging I would go to them and ask, now I don't anymore just because I don't feel like it LOL as far as hair care products go. I review other items and love it, but generally at this point I don't ask companies for review products anymore. I usually get them for campaigns I am selected from to do a review or they email me directly. Yes you should buy your domain :) Also if you really want to take your blogging to the next level it's better to self host instead of a free paid platform like blogger. When you are self hosted you have control over your blog when you are on a free platform like Blogger you don't own the blog google does, you own the content you publish but google can delete your blog if they see fit at any given time. That doesn't happen often but it happens I've seen it.

mscurly

you are hilarious :lachen: and oh so true

I think if you have put a lot of money and or effort into making your blog/vlog "glamorous" then more companies will approach you.

People may not like this but I also think that it depends on your hair. I think the better your hair is length, look, texture and how cute you are the more companies will want to work with you.

Also your popularity. If you have a lot of people subscribing, watching, reading then they are more willing to work with you.

Last edited:

trendsetta25

ITA with you...

I'm one of those non glamorous blogger and YT'ber that has been sent products to review. Not a lot...but so far 2 hair companies contacted me and sent hair my way as well as an independent company that wanted me to review their organic hair products. The first company that contacted me was because i wasn't happy with a purchase i made...she loved my honest view and offered to give me hair from her new vendor. The second company i reached out to was for a giveaway for my subscribers. I wasn't looking for hair for myself at all but she insisted after seeing some of my videos. All the other products and giveaways I've done is with my hard earned money as well. I don't get all glammed up and i use a $100 flip cam to record my videos.:lachen:

I think it's all about how you market yourself. I have a decent amount of subscribers and i don't post videos often...but it's what i post that keeps them coming. If you find your niche then companies will seek you out.

My intentions when making my channel was to help those out there that want to be self installers but just don't know how and to educate others on healthy hair care practices.

Hope this helps OP

Last edited:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
To all that are making videos on youtube and running blogs. As far as making money with hair care. We know that youtubers will receive free products to review but how many will receive them that are blogers?

When I was into doing videos etc, I got way more offers for freebies as a blogger than I did as a vlogger. Granted, I stopped vlogging right around the time youtube was offering pretty much everyone a partnership and my videos weren't fancy, but still, the blog had much more appeal.

Ms Lala

I vlog for fun and don't have a big audience so I don't get free anything. As another poster said it's all about your numbers. Focus on growing your site and getting an audience before trying to get products. I've been trying to get my blog up for the longest. I am paying a fee for hosting etc... and still don't have it up. I think it helps if you post frequently, I'm busy w/the lil one and hardly post at all anymore.

HolisticHoney

I think it's also about your personal goals as a vlogger/blogger. Some people do not want to endorse anyone's company. And some people have channels and blogs dedicated to trying different products.

I'm not a real product pusher so I don't really promote any products on my channel or seek out products to review. At this time I would probably only be interested in that kinda stuff for giveways and such.

But I'm still a newbie so my channel isn't even big right now. I think like another poster said just focus on your content and updating on a regular basis to build an audience.

Shadiyah

Ads are different than free products, google puts ads on my videos. Videos of friends and family don't usually qualify for ads. I have seen channels where the person does voice over, and videos the product being reviewed.

If you have a great camera presence, and come across as genuine, Many of us would like to see you covered up. Hello, you probably look better in a veil than I do with thin spots. I wear a veil on many of my videos to look better. I search the hijab videos for scarf ideas (I hope that is not disrespectful:look:)

others that don't know you may find that you are making fun of us but you told me why you are doing it.

Shadiyah

When I was into doing videos etc, I got way more offers for freebies as a blogger than I did as a vlogger. Granted, I stopped vlogging right around the time youtube was offering pretty much everyone a partnership and my videos weren't fancy, but still, the blog had much more appeal.

1QTPie so let me ask you. as a blogger how did you get your numbers up since it is suppose to be about the numbers? I have only 36 followers but over 14,000 viewings.

Shadiyah

I think it's also about your personal goals as a vlogger/blogger. Some people do not want to endorse anyone's company. And some people have channels and blogs dedicated to trying different products.

I'm not a real product pusher so I don't really promote any products on my channel or seek out products to review. At this time I would probably only be interested in that kinda stuff for giveways and such.

But I'm still a newbie so my channel isn't even big right now. I think like another poster said just focus on your content and updating on a regular basis to build an audience.

HolisticHoney I clicked on your blog and the link is not working and I just subscribe to your channel.

This has been a interesting topic and I may have posted in the wrong group but I am loving this. I am more interested and getting my blog up and blowing up than I am videos. videos would take way too much work for me because I would have to set up the models and setup for someone to video us with only focusing on her hair. I tested out on uploading 2 videos I made from my phone just to see how I would sound and how my phone would look until I got a camera but I love blogging. I did buy a domain and I had said in the beginning that I was not going to do that unless I really found myself liking it.

I have my own website for my business which I have not been able to work because of my illness and that is how I stumbled into blogging because I needed something to keep me busy because I could not sew and I thought I have learned so much about my hair at this time that I felt like I could talk.

I am going to look into using some of my web space for my blog but I have to really look into somethings before I move it.

I just want tips on how to get followers????? or is it the viewing???

1QTPie

Elder Sim
@1QTPie so let me ask you. as a blogger how did you get your numbers up since it is suppose to be about the numbers? I have only 36 followers but over 14,000 viewings.

Now, understand that I started my blog in 08. My numbers came up by word of mouth. I became friendly with other bloggers and a lot of the big bloggers have no problem supporting and shouting you out. I would recommend networking. You don't even have to leave your house if you don't want, but getting linked up with people with similar interests and passions helps a ton.

I literally started by following blogs similar to mine through Google reader and keeping up with the bloggers in my area. Some of whom i now consider friends.

These days, it seems to be more about giveaways. I don't think that you have to do that though. People also seem to enjoy hearing about your actual life. If your blog isn't personal (I will sub later, at work now) adding small elements helps.

Again, start commenting on other blogs. Create profiles on other blog hosts (wordpress, blogger etc) so that your comments link back to you blog.

I didn't have a lot of followers because my blog wasn't set up for that. But I had a ton of repeat visitors. Most were daily.

I hope that helps a little.

Shadiyah

Now, understand that I started my blog in 08. My numbers came up by word of mouth. I became friendly with other bloggers and a lot of the big bloggers have no problem supporting and shouting you out. I would recommend networking. You don't even have to leave your house if you don't want, but getting linked up with people with similar interests and passions helps a ton.

I literally started by following blogs similar to mine through Google reader and keeping up with the bloggers in my area. Some of whom i now consider friends.

These days, it seems to be more about giveaways. I don't think that you have to do that though. People also seem to enjoy hearing about your actual life. If your blog isn't personal (I will sub later, at work now) adding small elements helps.

Again, start commenting on other blogs. Create profiles on other blog hosts (wordpress, blogger etc) so that your comments link back to you blog.

I didn't have a lot of followers because my blog wasn't set up for that. But I had a ton of repeat visitors. Most were daily.

I hope that helps a little.

1QTPie yes that helped a lot. I have been a guess blogger on one blog site and that is a shame because I don't remember which one it was lol. I was not looking at it like that at the time.

I am going to go back to those blogs and do what you said because I am following a lot of them

HolisticHoney

HolisticHoney I clicked on your blog and the link is not working and I just subscribe to your channel.

This has been a interesting topic and I may have posted in the wrong group but I am loving this. I am more interested and getting my blog up and blowing up than I am videos. videos would take way too much work for me because I would have to set up the models and setup for someone to video us with only focusing on her hair. I tested out on uploading 2 videos I made from my phone just to see how I would sound and how my phone would look until I got a camera but I love blogging. I did buy a domain and I had said in the beginning that I was not going to do that unless I really found myself liking it.

I have my own website for my business which I have not been able to work because of my illness and that is how I stumbled into blogging because I needed something to keep me busy because I could not sew and I thought I have learned so much about my hair at this time that I felt like I could talk.

I am going to look into using some of my web space for my blog but I have to really look into somethings before I move it.

I just want tips on how to get followers????? or is it the viewing???

Thanks chica! By the way I fixed the link in my siggie so it should work.

I also checked out your blog. It looks good so far. I think it's just a matter of getting the word out. People won't follow you unless they know you exist.

Heck I'm telling myself that also. I can definitely step up my networking game

Just hang in there and keep posting and keep spreading the word about your blog. :yep:

Ms. Tiki

What I find funny is that my Facebook pages for both of my blogs is more active than my blogs. People don't comment on my actual blog post but on my FB page. As for vlogging, I haven't made a video in awhile but I notice my old HCG videos are still getting views. I want to work on my hair vlog but I wonder if it will really help anyone or what I should talk about.

Shadiyah

What I find funny is that my Facebook pages for both of my blogs is more active than my blogs. People don't comment on my actual blog post but on my FB page. As for vlogging, I haven't made a video in awhile but I notice my old HCG videos are still getting views. I want to work on my hair vlog but I wonder if it will really help anyone or what I should talk about.

Ms. Tiki same thing here. they ask me questions all day long on my facebook page even inbox me but do not post their comments on my blog lol that is so funny.

I have gotten a lot of views from this forum and facebook and google. I am so excited I don't want to move now. I have something really good with my cousin hair and if I move back to Atlanta she will miss out and I will miss out on seeing her growth day to day. I know I can get someone else who will allow me to play in there hair lol. and I do this because I can not post pictures of my own here. right now I am working on a new look for my blog

ItsMeFre

What a great thread! I'm new to vlogging and I want to figure out how to get my numbers up too...I'm subscribing to this thread

Shadiyah

Ok I just have to say this, I think we all owe it to each other to follow each other on the blogs, twitter, facebook, youtube what ever. I think I have just about checked you all on my list.

empressri

There is no guarantee with anything to be honest. On top of that, I've networked outside of the videos and did other things with that.

As far as the followers thing...it has a lot to do with personality and all that. Someone just asked me to follow her and heaven forgive me, but she kept smacking her lips and I couldn't understand anything she was saying and the videos bored me to tears...and there was nothing appealing about ANY of her videos.

I tried, I really tried. If you feel bored making the video chances are you will bore other people.