Virgin Relaxer

shakenspirit

Okay I've decided that when i take down the micro braids i have in I will be relaxing my hair. I am not capable of doing my own relaxed hair so i was wonder if any ladies here have had success growing long relaxed hair going to a domincan salon because that's what i hope to do.I live in the bronx...my family actually rents part of the building we own to a domincan salon.I used to get my hair done by them til i went natural but i dont want to go back because they didnt wash the relaxer out of my mother's hair about a year ago and it fell out.I don't wanna go to jail so i'd like to avoid that situation:grin: If any ladies know of a salon in the bx lemme know. I also want to know how you ladies take care of your realaxed hair btwn salon visits...just tell me everything you know wise ones :yep:

Do you have any DIY friends that could help you with the process? That way it would be someone you trust and you could save money. Just a suggestion since no one else replied. HTH!

Have you tried becoming a heat-straightened natural? After all of the horror stories here, I wouldn't put my complete trust in stylists. Try just a rollerset and blow-out, until you find a place that you're comfortable with relaxing your hair. There are also plenty of threads about maintaining moisture-protein balance of relaxed hair (although you may have to do a search)

Best of luck to you :)

When I was relaxed I would moisturize my hair every other night with Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil, then I would wrap my hair in alternating directions or roller set at night.

Here is a link that will help you: Self Relax Support Thread

My friends doing my hair would end with me being bald...I had a relaxer for 3 years and my hair was healthy going to a stylist...the reason i ask is just because maybe this time around i could do something to make it healthy

I would check into a Manhattan or BK salon. I think upscale is probably best. Maybe a place that does natural hair AND relaxers. I used to live in Bx, but can't think of anywhere up there I would get my hair done, now that I'm on my HHJ. I used to go to this place in Manhattan, when I was texlaxed. They're very good: salonsantacruz.com.

My friends doing my hair would end with me being bald...I had a relaxer for 3 years and my hair was healthy going to a stylist...the reason i ask is just because maybe this time around i could do something to make it healthy

Whatever you do, find a salon YOU are comfortable with being vocal about your opinions and what you will and will not subject your healthy hair to :yep: ... "salon shop" if you will, go for consultations and see whose the most friendly and open to answering questions and hearing your concerns. The last thing you want is a stubborn stylist who thinks she knows EVERYTHING. I don't live in the bx, but just my 2cents.... GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US UPDATED! <3

Dominicans use Hades heat.:rolleyes::grin: They do get your hair strait, though.:lachen: High heat after relaxing is just asking for scalp issues, in my opinion.

I agree. chemical processes should be done by a professional. one that has been researched

Just blow dry and flat iron or hot comb. You will regret it, I assume.

:nono:

OP: My opinion may be unpopular, but look for JC Penney salons. I doubt they'd hire clown stylists. I've been going to them for over a year now. I have one main stylist. One time she wasn't available so I used another. I was worried, but her results were just as good. No shedding, no breakage, no anything! I would think they'd have better salon stylists, or at least more educated, knowledgeable, understanding, what have you, as they are a bigger company and have a reputation to maintain. I got my hair relaxed on the 10th after a 9.5 month stretch. I didn't say a word to my stylist about my hair. She analyzed it and decided to relax my hair in two parts. I asked her why and she gave a Niko's Cousin-esque response. Just my two cents. Other smaller salons I went to always did something to my hair when I never asked. At one salon they trimmed and charged me $20 for something I didn't want. At another salon, she trimmed as well as whipped out the clippers and eliminated my sideburns :lachen:

(I can laugh about that and so can others as I was not a member of LHCF nor a vocal customer at the time lol).

If I were you, I'd construct a regimen before relaxing and try to stick to it. Maybe you didn't have much success when you were previously relaxed. If that's the case, think about what you did, what might have caused you problems, and try to fix it IF AND ONLY IF it was broken. We don't want a setback thread from you a week from now :bat:

Do make sure you've thought your decision through and that it truly is what you want. The best feeling about doing something to your hair, or not doing something to your hair, isn't necessarily the results, but being 100% positive that you made your best decision and you're satisfied. Then, you can enjoy the results :yep:

HTH!

ETA: How I take care of my hair:
-aphogee 2-step mixed with ORS replen. weekly
-moisturing DC weekly
-moisturizing nightly (coconut oil, UBH creme moisturizer, UBH dew, CHI silk infusion) - I usually dump whatever I feel like on my hair, concentrating on the ends
-protective styles - buns for now. I'm trying to pick up rollersetting again.

That's all I can think of for now.

Back