Underprocessed hair - what to do next

Pennefeather

Last November my hair was underprocessed. I babied it at first to prevent breakage. Eventually,I went back to my normal habits, which were actually pretty good. Then, I decided to stretch my relaxer from the usual 12 weeks to 6 months.

The first thing that I told the stylist was that she had underprocessed my hair previously - especially in the right side. Her response was that she would begin on the right to make sure it was nice and straight. She did a nice job with all the new growth....but I still have a problem.

My hair is now straight for 3 inches near the roots, then textured where it is underprocessed , and then straight again. I'm wondering if I should try to straighten the underprocessed section. I worry that the texture change will lead to breakage. I'm also concerned that trying to do a corrective will cause breakage.

She used Affirm relaxer ,which I have been using for years. I just realized that I can buy some from amazon. I don't have any experience doing relaxers, but I think that this would only need a quick touch up.

Last November my hair was underprocessed. I babied it at first to prevent breakage. Eventually,I went back to my normal habits, which were actually pretty good. Then, I decided to stretch my relaxer from the usual 12 weeks to 6 months.

The first thing that I told the stylist was that she had underprocessed my hair previously - especially in the right side. Her response was that she would begin on the right to make sure it was nice and straight. She did a nice job with all the new growth....but I still have a problem.

My hair is now straight for 3 inches near the roots, then textured where it is underprocessed , and then straight again. I'm wondering if I should try to straighten the underprocessed section. I worry that the texture change will lead to breakage. I'm also concerned that trying to do a corrective will cause breakage.

She used Affirm relaxer ,which I have been using for years. I just realized that I can buy some from amazon. I don't have any experience doing relaxers, but I think that this would only need a quick touch up.

she clearly can not do your hair.....don't let her put chemicals in your hair again unless it is to make it straight...texlax is an art:yep:

you can do a corrective yourself but it will be tricky and quite frankly, i wouldn't risk it.

i had straight roots and texlaxed ends from doing my own relaxer once......when i couldn't get to my stylist. mistake.

having said that...the straight hair is weaker than the curly hair. exposing it to chemicals again is not a good idea. not for the sake of a corrective. if you want it all straight, just wait until your regular touch up and do it then.

your hair will be stronger with less exposure to chemicals. the two textures should not be an issue unless you wear your hair out and curly. i lived with three textures until i cut off the relaxer and with regular conditioning and gentle care, you should be fine.

concentrate extra conditioner at those demarcation lines, protein, when you do deep condition and you should be fine.

OR have the stylist do a corrective but relax the hair straight so that it is easier for her to process. she clearly can not do a texlax....:nono:

Last edited:
havilland,

I am considering just relaxing the textured portion of my hair - not all of it. I think that is helpful that I would start 3 inches away from my scalp. I would only need to do an area that is about three inches long.

Pennefeather, this happened to me and the corrective was done during a normal TU. The stylist applied the relaxer to the under processed hair the last 5 minutes before rinsing.

havilland,

I am considering just relaxing the textured portion of my hair - not all of it. I think that is helpful that I would start 3 inches away from my scalp. I would only need to do an area that is about three inches long.

be careful and good luck :yep: keep me posted on how you do.

We must be twins in different parts of the world because last November i went back to relaxers after being natural for 3yrs. I am underprocessed too but i am on the left side. My hairdresser used DE and now i have the exact same dilemma as you because, i have alot of hairs coming out and i have now decided i really want to correct the under processed parts 2 days ago i cut 2'' because of it. I went from APL to BSL now i'm a little aboue APL and its driving me crazy. I also am thinking to change my relaxer because i do not think my hair likes it

Can the expert relaxed ladies help us PLEASE i for 1 am in dire need.

@Pennefeather, this happened to me and the corrective was done during a normal TU. The stylist applied the relaxer to the under processed hair the last 5 minutes before rinsing.

I have been thinking about this. My strands are fine and i think it processes easily, also i'm thinking of self relaxing from now on. It can't be hard plus it will save me a lot of time and money.

Back