Trying to decide what to do

makea84

Okay ladies, I have been natural for about 2 years now and its okay. I keep my hair cut short and flat iron it at home. However, I feel as though my length and overall hair quality was better when I relaxed it. I think I use too much heat on my hair now. I am thinking about texturizing my hair after I take out my kinky twists. Should I get the texturizer or just go back to a regular relaxer? I need some advice!

Have you been attempting to grow out your natural hair? How often are you flat ironing? That could be the reason your length and overall health is suffering. What's your regi?

Ultimately it's your descion. but there are lots of styles you can do without heat to your hair. It should be even easier if it's short.

If you use alot of heat on your hair and your hair doesn't agree then getting a relaxer or texturizer isn't going to revive your hair. In fact it would probably break it off, chew it up and spit it out.

What is your regimine? And what issues are you having?

Ultimately it's your descion. but there are lots of styles you can do without heat to your hair. It should be even easier if it's short.

If you use alot of heat on your hair and your hair doesn't agree then getting a relaxer or texturizer isn't going to revive your hair. In fact it would probably break it off, chew it up and spit it out.

What is your regimine? And what issues are you having?

ITA. Getting a chemical right now wouldn't benefit your hair. If your goal is to be relaxed, then that's another story, but reviving your hair's health is key. What look are you going for? Is having straight hair your main goal?

well i dont really have that much of a regime. i wash/condition it once a week,moisturize my scalp a few times a week. I use a leave in conditioner/ distilled water spritz now with my kinky twists. I usually blow dry it and flat iron it once a week as well. I was doing it more often since its hotter out now and my hair would get so frizzy. I guess I just don't know how to care for it when its natural.

i wouldn't mind keeping it natural, but i have NO IDEA what to do with it or how to care for it. i also have no patience.

well i dont really have that much of a regime. i wash/condition it once a week,moisturize my scalp a few times a week. I use a leave in conditioner/ distilled water spritz now with my kinky twists. I usually blow dry it and flat iron it once a week as well. I was doing it more often since its hotter out now and my hair would get so frizzy. I guess I just don't know how to care for it when its natural.

Seems like you're putting alloooot of heat on your hair(although I understand why due to the style you prefer). My hair definitely was eaten up and spat out when I had a relaxer and used that much heat. I literally had half an inch of natural hair in some places and 5-6 inches of relaxed hair in other places!

Why did you go natural in the first place?That might help you stay natural depending on the reason.

I would recommend stalking some Fotki's for style ideas. I love mixing styles together like 2 strand twists & twisties (see avatar). I also invest in wigs when I fall out of love with my real hair. I wear them for like 2 weeks and then I miss it and we make up! I hope you stay natural. I tried to get a texturizer and it backfired. I regretted it the same day I put it in!:nono:

It depends on how you prefer to wear your hair.

If you prefer your hair straight, I believe a relaxer with no direct heat is better than constant flat iron/blow drying natural hair.

If you prefer to wear your hair textured most of the time, I think you should try to find better ways of dealing with your natural hair and skip the relaxer/texturizer.

i wouldn't mind keeping it natural, but i have NO IDEA what to do with it or how to care for it. i also have no patience.

Whether your hair is natural or relaxed, you need patience.

Anyway, if you have no idea to take care of your natural hair I suggest you start doing some reading on things that may help. There are a lot of styles you can do that don't require heat. You can find lots of style ideas on blackgirllonghair.blogspot.com.

As far as a regimen, since you're in kinky twists right now just focus on keeping your hair clean and moisturized/conditioned.

thanks for your input everyone! i think i will take out my kinky twists and see how it goes from there. i need to find a stylist who can help me.

It seems like you're using a lot of heat, I would recommend not flat ironing/blowdrying your hair unless it's wash day, and maybe if you want to stay natural start trying some natural styles to give your hair a rest. Depending on how long your hair is wash and go's might be easy to get away with for now. I agree with the other ladies that if you're going to relax I would get the hair healthy first, or it will probably exacerbate the problems you're already having.

Back