Trim vs "Cut" in Stylist-ese

*fabulosity*

Why is a trim always a "cut"... to a hairstylist? I think of trim 1/2 inch or LESS... focusing on the LESS... I understand if the hair needs it... but it seems like every time you say I want my ends "TRIMMED" you come back with a new haircut... Is there a possible way to communicate to them that you want your hair relatively the same length but the actual ends... (and an end is not lower middle STRAND) trimmed?

I know hair grows back; but I am taking this much too personally these days. After investing in all this "grow" stuff, dealing with shedding, and actually starting to see some doggone progress... one Saturday afternoon can take it all away...

Oh well... just means I have to relax and let my hair grow... she got me pretty good (and it does look cute) but STILL.... it kind of annoys me as you see the hair flying... like..I thought I was getting a trim...

Anyone feel me? I can't trim my own hair...especially the layers... but if I could ... I swear I would..

winnettag

Um, yea I wanna know that one too. A lot of stylist don't even know what dusting means.

I got my hair "trimmed" years ago (for the last time) and she cut off MOST of my hair.

I figure if I ever get a professional trim again Ill just say: "If you trim off more than 1/2 an inch, youre not getting paid." And I'll be watching in the handheld mirror like a hawk next time.

nicki6

Um, yea I wanna know that one too. A lot of stylist don't even know what dusting means.

I got my hair "trimmed" years ago (for the last time) and she cut off MOST of my hair.

I figure if I ever get a professional trim again Ill just say: "If you trim off more than 1/2 an inch, youre not getting paid." And I'll be watching in the handheld mirror like a hawk next time.

The bolded should make them VERY careful:yep:

My trust for stylists has completely disappeared...and I have no intention of ever going back to one:nono:

anon123

For some people, I think it is only a cut if they change the overall shape and style of your hair. Seriously, that's the only way I can understand cutting off 3" and calling it a trim.

trj1922

I agree with the above posts. Make them let you watch in the mirror and make it clear that if your instructions are not followed (1/2 inch, 1/4 inch or whatever), they will not get paid. Pull out a ruler for visual reference. I'm completely serious. Some have really lost sight of what 1/2 inch looks like.

Also, communicate very clearly that your goal is to build LENGTH, not have the latest style. If they try to chat you up with any of the standard lies (ie, cutting makes it grow faster, etc.) shut them down with no discussion. Any stylist who cannot/will not agree to those conditions, DO NOT hesitate to get up and walk out!

*fabulosity*

I guess maybe it's not that bad. Here are the comparison photos... Let me know if they show up.. the first one is now... the 2nd one is before the trim...

And I'm also about hmmm....14 weeks post..since I call myself transitioning... but my stylist did agree that I should punch it out through the winter and not get a touch up... so I'm happy about that...

Attachments

• Jaclyn trim 929 2.jpg
    Jaclyn trim 929 2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Jaclyn 913.jpg
    Jaclyn 913.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 28

*fabulosity*

Awww... thanks tishee... I'm just overwhelmed with hair right now... When she blow dried it ...stretched; it was like 1.5 inches away from APL... now I'm at least 3 inches away... but oh well... lord willing it will grow back... <<as I apply the OCT to the scalp>> :D

silverlotus

Awww... thanks tishee... I'm just overwhelmed with hair right now... When she blow dried it ...stretched; it was like 1.5 inches away from APL... now I'm at least 3 inches away... but oh well... lord willing it will grow back... <<as I apply the OCT to the scalp>> :D

Your hair looks nice, but I see no reason for a trim in that second pic. :nono:

aja1121

Actually it doesn't look like she cut any length in the picture, it looks like she made your layers a little shorter. It looks nice to me!

Oh and as a former stylist....I know that one of the main reasons is that most stylist start "trimming" from the nape of the neck. Even on the healthiest of heads, the nape is not a good section to start a guide because it is usually a different texture or shorter than the rest of the hair. So they "trim" the nape and match the rest of the of it. When my stylist trims my length she doesn't section anything off, she just combs it all down and trims. The only time she sections is for layers.

Therefore, anytime a stylist starts at the nape (and uses it as a guide) you need to check her/him.

Another reason could be they made a mistake and needed to even it out more.

Last edited:

*fabulosity*

Your hair looks nice, but I see no reason for a trim in that second pic. :nono:

Well the layers had gotten a bit raggedy; but I was trying to grow them out.. how does anyone grow out layers? I told her that before she started cutting.. Long layers I don't mind; but I don't want any short choppy ones in the top any more...

When I got my last set of highlights; the guy put straight bleach on my hair and gave me touch up like 2 weeks later... the one side survived and continued to grow; the right side got damaged and a bunch of breakage and became a little limp..course that was before LHCF. So I think she definitely wanted to even it up. And it sure is even now...:ohwell:

*fabulosity*

Actually it doesn't look like she cut any length in the picture, it looks like she made your layers a little shorter. It looks nice to me!

Oh and as a former stylist....I know that one of the main reasons is that most stylist start "trimming" from the nape of the neck. Even on the healthiest of heads, the nape is not a good section to start a guide because it is usually a different texture or shorter than the rest of the hair. So they "trim" the nape and match the rest of the of it. When my stylist trims my length she doesn't section anything off, she just combs it all down and trims. The only time she sections is for layers.

Therefore, anytime a stylist starts at the nape (and uses it as a guide) you need to check her/him.

Thanks.

Well I alternate between two stylists. One has been doing my hair for years... the only problem... she told me that to get rid of the "damage" she needed to cut my hair up to my ear. And I was like HELL to the naw. Plus sidebar we had had an issue before when my hair was midback and she put all the shorter layers in it in the first place and took about 3 inches of length off...saying it would look fuller and better and not just "hang" there. Like I said...it was cute; but not what I wanted. I knew she would CUT it and I actually was going to go through with it until I was looking like this hair does not look that bad. The day of the supposed cut; I chickened out and just asked her to dust. That was 3 weeks ago. So the end-ends did not need to be trimmed again, although they did get about 1/2 inch this go around bc I had had a lot of recent success with the OCT.

The new stylist is very into hair care; plus all of her customers are long haired so I felt a little more comfortable about her trimming my hair. We had a long discussion about what my plans were for my hair and how we were going to achieve that.

TG she didn't start from the nape...which wouldve freaked me out immediately because my hair is way shorter in the nape...my middle hair (?) is the longest.

*fabulosity*

But they got us all brainwashed. My two friends and I went out Sunday, and they're all like yeah; you need to cut your hair to make it grow...

I'm like "that's not true!!":wallbash:

One has about between APLish and BSL hair. I could only imagine what her hair would look like if she let me educate her..lol...:lachen:

hillytmj

I really think this is why they have overcut in the past. What has worked for me recently is to stop letting my regular stylist cut it and going to a Supercuts type place that specializes in cuts. I call ahead of time to ask for someone who is patient and can work well with long hair. (I'm sorry; if you have a short bob with three colors in it, you're not coming anywhere near my hair.)

Once I get there, I explain my hair growth goal and offer a huge tip upfront if they do what I ask them to do - give me a trim, or as one lady says, "just trim the tips." I'm talking a $20 tip here when the trim is only $10. It's worth it to me becuase this gets their attention, they respect your wishes and they remember you the next time. Also, I don't have to argue with my stylist about why I don't want her to cut my hair.

tbaby_8

Actually, you can have the stylist show you on their multi-purpose comb what an inch is. It is listed on the comb. Once they show you what an inch is you can show them how much, on the comb, that you want cut. This is what I do with my clients. When they tell me they want their ends trimmed, I make a recommendation and then let them tell me what they want and we go from there.

*fabulosity*

I really think this is why they have overcut in the past. What has worked for me recently is to stop letting my regular stylist cut it and going to a Supercuts type place that specializes in cuts. I call ahead of time to ask for someone who is patient and can work well with long hair. (I'm sorry; if you have a short bob with three colors in it, you're not coming anywhere near my hair.)

Once I get there, I explain my hair growth goal and offer a huge tip upfront if they do what I ask them to do - give me a trim, or as one lady says, "just trim the tips." I'm talking a $20 tip here when the trim is only $10. It's worth it to me becuase this gets their attention, they respect your wishes and they remember you the next time. Also, I don't have to argue with my stylist about why I don't want her to cut my hair.

This is SOOOO smart. I'm going to have to do this...now to find a SC with black people in it. Or do you let non black people do it? After reading that one thread; I'm a little apprehensive about the "others" and my hair.

crazydaze911

Hey do u have highlights? it looks like you do in the pics. are they natural? if not, what do u color with?

yeah - i know, just totally changed the subject here..........

hillytmj

This is SOOOO smart. I'm going to have to do this...now to find a SC with black people in it. Or do you let non black people do it? After reading that one thread; I'm a little apprehensive about the "others" and my hair.

Actually, I prefer others. The lady who trimmed mine was Hispanic and she had long hair too. I know that all black stylists aren't scissor happy, but I also don't know how often they see people on a regular basis who are actively growing long hair. Also, some Hispanics have highly textured hair even it doesn't look like it (I had a friend who actually used grease/hair food on her hair), so some Hispanic stylists are more comfortable with black hair than you might think. I had a great experience and will continue going to her. I've seen other ladies at the LHCF who said they went to supercuts and let Asian ladies cut their hair too.

Finewine

what thread are you referring to?