Transitioning Connundrum

Skyfall

Has transitioning made the state of you hair worse? I seem to be having this problem and the only thing new that I have done is transitioning. No matter what protective style I do, it seems that my hair gets thinner and thinner, not just my relaxed ends but my new growth as well. I got a full-head sew in, got thinner hair. I got braids for two months, got even more thinner hair. Is it possible that perhaps my hair is too delicate to withstand braids and cornrows? I don't remember having this problem as a child, so I'm at a loss, for what the cause for my thinning hair might be. But it all started thinning when I started transitioning. I am currently 9 months post and I'm not sure if chopping it off would help much, because then what am I going to do with the new growth if I can't braid or cornrow it? So..

Should I just get a relaxer?
Or should I keep transitioning?

Do you think that maybe it's really the tension between the two textures that is causing the problem and I should just cut it?

OP, you might wanna see a doctor. Believe me, it will help you a lot. I would suggest for you not get a relaxer because that will not fix your problem. Lay off the weaves and baby your hair. If you do want to relax, it will help minimized the breakage due to your 2 textures but in the long run, the problem may come back. Visit your doctor to see if anything is wrong though.

Last edited:
How often do you DC and how are you washing your hair?

I am transitioning, but my hair has gotten stronger. Although, I primarily wear my hair in twists(with my own hair) for 2-3 weeks at a time.
So, I do my full detangle, dc and wash routine once every 2-3 weeks and rinse my scalp or co-wash in twists in between.

I feel your pain. I posted a similar comment in Jannetmat thread where she lamented tangles caused by stretching.

I don't have a solution, I just wanted to empathize with you.

An excerpt of my comments:

"I retained much more length when I was fully relaxed. I was well on my way to mid-back length and am wondering if transitioning is doing me more harm than good.

I am probably at a point of no return. I increasingly becoming convinced that bc'ing is my only option. I believe it is too late to relax my 10 months of new growth AND hold on to my ends. I think there would be a considerable difference in textures with newly relaxed hair being thicker and healthier with the ends thin".
______

janeemat

OP, you might wanna see a doctor. Believe me, it will help you a lot. I would suggest for you not get a relaxer because that will not fix your problem. Lay off the weaves and baby your hair. If you do want to relax, it will help minimized the breakage due to your 2 textures but in the long run, the problem may come back. Visit your doctor to see if anything is wrong though.

My vitamin and thyroid levels were all normal.

How often do you DC and how are you washing your hair?

I am transitioning, but my hair has gotten stronger. Although, I primarily wear my hair in twists(with my own hair) for 2-3 weeks at a time.
So, I do my full detangle, dc and wash routine once every 2-3 weeks and rinse my scalp or co-wash in twists in between.

I wash every week and when my hair is in braids or weaves I wash once a month.

danibeeja_gyal said:
My vitamin and thyroid levels were all normal.

That's good. Lucky you! Well, then in that case, just baby your hair. Make sure your protein n moisture level is well balanced.

I feel your pain. I posted a similar comment in Jannetmat thread where she lamented tangles caused by stretching.

I don't have a solution, I just wanted to empathize with you.

An excerpt of my comments:

"I retained much more length when I was fully relaxed. I was well on my way to mid-back length and am wondering if transitioning is doing me more harm than good.

I am probably at a point of no return. I increasingly becoming convinced that bc'ing is my only option. I believe it is too late to relax my 10 months of new growth AND hold on to my ends. I think there would be a considerable difference in textures with newly relaxed hair being thicker and healthier with the ends thin".
______

janeemat

That is exactly what is happening to me, I don't know what to do anymore, I think I'm just gonna have to cut it and see if that helps.

Back