Transitioners/naturals: Any strong feelings for/against DIY BC-ing?

jd_bdfly

I'm not at the point in my transition where I am quite ready to get rid of my relaxed ends, but I am eagerly awaiting it. When I do get ready to do it, I'm not sure if I should cut it myself or get it done professionally. I lean towards doing it myself because I tend to believe that stylists always cut more than what I want cut.

I'm interested in hearing from those of you that BCed - whether you did it yourself or went to a pro. Do you think a self-BC is a disaster waiting to happen and is something that should be strictly left to professionals?

I'm also particularly interested in people that actually did a DIY BC. Was it a success? What did you do to ensure it came out right?

Re: Transitioners/naturals: Any strong feelings for/against DIY BC-ing

I didn't do a BC but I did have to have a lot of relaxed ends cut from my natural hair. I struggled with this decision also and ultimately decided that it was better to go to a stylist. They could make my hair even and then I could just get on with my growing instead of worrying about uneven hair. I figured I wanted it done once and for all and if I straighten my hair, I wanted it to look halfway decent. I think a professional cut is the way to go. I am pretty much an advocate of professional cuts AND trims!

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not at the point in my transition where I am quite ready to get rid of my relaxed ends, but I am eagerly awaiting it. When I do get ready to do it, I'm not sure if I should cut it myself or get it done professionally. I lean towards doing it myself because I tend to believe that stylists always cut more than what I want cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've wondered this same exact thing... /images/graemlins/think.gif

I BCed myself!! It wasn't hard, I just cut off the straight parts. But in all actuality, when I went to the hairdresser, she said I cut too much in some places, so maybe you should get it professionally done so that you will have as much hair left as is possible!!

I went to a stylist because my big chop was a spur of the moment decision (decided I was tired of transitioning one day and went and chopped that afternoon). But I still wish I had at least tried to take some of the hair off myself- my problem was my hair still had wave/curl to it even relaxed so I couldn't quite tell where to cut.

When I chop I will probably try to do it myself or my aunt or someone help me with the parts I can't see. I figure it will not be as quick as if a hairdresser does it but my hairs was kind of overprocessed so I can clearly see the permed ends.

DIY for me. I cut too much in the front. But you couldnt tell becasue it was curly anyway. I got it evened out five months after my BC.

Back