TOTAL RANT - HHJ BREAKDOWN

silenttullip

*Sits with ends baggied with a plastic cap and under a bandana*

I love my hair I do BUT I promise I'm going to scream, cry, stomp, throw stuff *I'm not even violent*, and literally :wallbash:. No I'm not crazy BUT I am FEED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With these dangon single strand knots AND dry ends!!!!!!!!! I did a protein treatment it took. I wash 2x a week because my scalp is oily and sometimes the water *hard water even with filter* makes my scalp dry after that but I deal with it. I dc weekly, I moisturize and seal, I even treat and compliment my hair so it will thrive IE my hair has had moisturizing treatments that cost $20 for 12oz I know on here that's nothing shocking BUT not one pair of my shoes cost that much :drowning:. Is that enough??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I know people say "you're natural you can't help but to get ssk's" I've had these since I was 16 and RELAXED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's just say I've been over :beer2:21 a little while* no I'm not drunk but I needed something to express the time that's passed. I've search and destroyed... I've moisturized, sealed, and protective styled, I've stopped ironing and haven't blow dried in so long and, I invested in a Hana flat iron for when I do straighten. All this for YOU YOU *talking to hair* and this is how you repay me????? I would chop it all off but then I'd be bald and I already am getting sick of wigs so uh yea no. I would get a good hair cut BEEN THERE DONE THAT SINGLE STRAND KNOTS STILL HANG ON EVERY END I HAVE ALMOST and halt my growth cause once I feel them I cut or snap them off! I would use olive oil, coconut oil, lawdhamercyonmysoul oil, but I've tried all that well maybe not the latter but still I'm fed up. A little under a year ago I posted about how I was tired and wanted to relax I didn't I was just tired of these knots and not being able to do many styles. I'm sick of twists, braids, rollersets, bantu knots, twist outs, fros, and well that's about all I personally can choose from. *takes a moment to breathe* I love the styles on other people but my hair is just getting boring but I could handle the boredom if the knots would flea. I need help and the first step to solving a problem is admitting I have one... I do! My hair is a... Knatic = knot addict the state of being addicted to getting knots regardless of her relaxed or tightened state. Sooooo I made an appointment for next month with a Trichologists to see if I have a thyroid issue, in the book healthy black hair I think it's called she has a test and thats what it said I had if not then either way I'm hoping the trichologist can shed some light BUT until then what should I do?????????

ChristmasCarol

Sorry that you are becoming frustrated :(

Have you considered wearing your hair in straight styles for awhile? I mean flatironing, not relaxing. Maybe get a trim first and then give yourself a break from the knots until you figure out where to go from there.

hopeful

So you get knots relaxed and natural? Even on freshly relaxed, flat-ironed hair? Or after the newgrowth came in? I can understand why you would be frustrated. As long as I keep my hair in a stretched state I don't have this issue. I really hope you find some type of resolution.

Diam0ndiva

ok so this is my method for the maddness. im a 4a/b you need to seriously calm down first lol.. then make sure you keep your hair in platts when you wash it condition it (i usually undo one braid at a time then re braid when conditioning)

after that if u deep condition i'd do the same .. keep it in platts until your ready to get up and go..

you need regular trims like me.. not alot of hair just a lil after you flat iron or straighten your hair.. see what your doing is removing the ends that are getting ready to split plus controling your other starnds.. after a cut .. i make sure i use a moisture cream or a nice moisture mist to maintain a nice PH... the keys are moisture after cuts and platts when your washing conditioning and down time.. also dont be afrain to take a little water and wet your ends .. see i learned i cant moisture and thats it i have realized i have to make it a habit..

CrissieD

I have the worst SSK. I am talking finding them literally 1 week after a trim. Here is what works for me (and a bunch of other ladies from what I have read) NEVER allow your hair to dry in its shrunken state. Braid it, twist it, roller set it anything so that the curls can't twist around on thier own and form knots. Straightening might help but it sounds like your hair is super dry so it might not be worth it. Especially in the summer. Also I know you said you are sick of wigs but a month or so (even if you do some days on some off) of protective styling (meaning not just a ponytail end tucked completely away) should help turn your hair around. That said you will probably need a trim to start off. Hope I helped a little :)

Oh and cheer up. Your hair is cute in your profile pic :)

Diam0ndiva

let me not confuse you.. no you dont put a water based product after a flat iron or press but you make sure you do later that night.. put ya platts in.. or ur method to keep things smooth.. the next morning use heat protectant, then touch up the frizz.

as crazy as this sounds i also believe thermal straigntening will help in a way because all hair slowly stretches out the more you flat iron or press it.. but the trick is the heat protectant to prevent DAMAGE.. see girl get that heat damage where it wont curl up or do anything right.. the protectant is like the hurdle the heat has to get over.. so i think that may help.. just use heat to your hairs liking not to put your knots at easy..

hope that helped ..

Diam0ndiva

if you dry go get a hair mask.. you can find it at wlmarts, targets, rite aides, only. i love NTG hair mask for deep mositure.. .. do you follow your protein with mositure?? u cant protein without moisture its about balance.. u know how ur hair operates..

pay attention the way it feels after a few weeks .. STARTING to feel cruchy.. time to use the jeri, s-curl or moisture creams, STARTing to see more shedding or breakage then you need to get protein..

WHEN YOU LEARN TO BALANCE PRO AND MOIS... PLUS MAKE PLATTS A HABIT B4 BED AND DURING DOWN TIME.. PLUS GET REGULAR TRIMS ALONG WITH A SMALL TRIM AFTER A STRAIGHTENING YOU WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER.. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEAH YOU MUST PUT CONDITONER OR PREPOO YOUR ENDS, LET SIT BEFORE YOUR WASH DAYS.. IT KEEPS THE SHAMPOO FROM DRYING OUT THE ENDS WHICH WILL IN TURN PREVENT SPLITS WHICH WILL IN TURN COUPLED WITH PLATTS.. WILL DRAMATICALLY STOP THE KNOTS BUT YOU KNOW THEY WILL ALWAYS EXIST..

silenttullip

Thanks so much for the detailed advice. Yes I moisturize after protein but you are right I don't do it when I flat iron. I've never had an actual hair mask so I'll get one of those tomorrow :) You're probably right about the shampoo too because I shampoo 2-3 times but it is sulfate free. The last two times I followed with a conditioning poo on the second wash and then dc'ed.

if you dry go get a hair mask.. you can find it at wlmarts, targets, rite aides, only. i love NTG hair mask for deep mositure.. .. do you follow your protein with mositure?? u cant protein without moisture its about balance.. u know how ur hair operates..

pay attention the way it feels after a few weeks .. STARTING to feel cruchy.. time to use the jeri, s-curl or moisture creams, STARTing to see more shedding or breakage then you need to get protein..

WHEN YOU LEARN TO BALANCE PRO AND MOIS... PLUS MAKE PLATTS A HABIT B4 BED AND DURING DOWN TIME.. PLUS GET REGULAR TRIMS ALONG WITH A SMALL TRIM AFTER A STRAIGHTENING YOU WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER.. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEAH YOU MUST PUT CONDITONER OR PREPOO YOUR ENDS, LET SIT BEFORE YOUR WASH DAYS.. IT KEEPS THE SHAMPOO FROM DRYING OUT THE ENDS WHICH WILL IN TURN PREVENT SPLITS WHICH WILL IN TURN COUPLED WITH PLATTS.. WILL DRAMATICALLY STOP THE KNOTS BUT YOU KNOW THEY WILL ALWAYS EXIST..

silenttullip

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I wash my hair sectioned but not plated so I will try that. Also I agree about the frequent trims when I was trimming every 8 weeks it was fine for a while but I didn't think I'd gain any length with all that trimming, I guess I'll go back to it.

ok so this is my method for the maddness. im a 4a/b you need to seriously calm down first lol.. then make sure you keep your hair in platts when you wash it condition it (i usually undo one braid at a time then re braid when conditioning)

after that if u deep condition i'd do the same .. keep it in platts until your ready to get up and go..

you need regular trims like me.. not alot of hair just a lil after you flat iron or straighten your hair.. see what your doing is removing the ends that are getting ready to split plus controling your other starnds.. after a cut .. i make sure i use a moisture cream or a nice moisture mist to maintain a nice PH... the keys are moisture after cuts and platts when your washing conditioning and down time.. also dont be afrain to take a little water and wet your ends .. see i learned i cant moisture and thats it i have realized i have to make it a habit..

silenttullip

Yep I get them relaxed and natural. Yep after a fresh perm now if I get it pressed right after the perm I don't think I use to get them after both hard to remember but definately way before any new growth. Thanks I hope so too

So you get knots relaxed and natural? Even on freshly relaxed, flat-ironed hair? Or after the newgrowth came in? I can understand why you would be frustrated. As long as I keep my hair in a stretched state I don't have this issue. I really hope you find some type of resolution.

Nasdaq_Diva

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I wash my hair sectioned but not plated so I will try that. Also I agree about the frequent trims when I was trimming every 8 weeks it was fine for a while but I didn't think I'd gain any length with all that trimming, I guess I'll go back to it.
Yes! Plaiting your hair up while you cleanse, condition will work wonders for your hair. Take down each plait when you are ready to detangle, then re-plait and move on to the next. I have about 5-8 in my head.

ajoke

Yes! Plaiting your hair up while you cleanse, condition will work wonders for your hair. Take down each plait when you are ready to detangle, then re-plait and move on to the next. I have about 5-8 in my head.

Yes,washing my hair in plaited sections was the magic that solved all my knotting problems. I just read on another thread that some ladies secure the ends of the plaits with kiddies barrets, that might be the solution to my poofy ends problems.

Diam0ndiva

so happy I could help im 9mo post thinking of staying natural but kinda want to texlax again but may stay natural ;)

silenttullip

Well I think it would be great either way because you seem like you understand your hair and know a lot about hair in general and knowledge is power especially in the hhj

so happy I could help im 9mo post thinking of staying natural but kinda want to texlax again but may stay natural ;)