To aviod (direct) heat, how do you set your hair?

How do you set you hair to avoid direct heat?

• I Wrap it damp with Wrap Foaming Lotion to set the style

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • I rollerset to set the style

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • I put it in braids to set the style

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I put it in two-strand twists to set the style

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

pistachio

I tried rollersetting, but didn't like the curl volume because I wanted a straight look, and the curl made my hair look shorter. I tried to use gray rollers because Ifigured that since the were big, it'd be less curl defintion. I tried wrapping my hair damp with wrap foam, and a comb, and it gets the job done! Which method do you prefer?

I wrap it wet with olive oil wrap mousse (I believe that's the name) and then I tie a silk scarf on.

I rollerset on gray rollers first to get it dry. Then I apply a little coconut oil, wrap my hair and then wrap saran wrap around my hair and sit back under the dryer for about 10 mins. When I take my hair down it is straight, shiny and silky. No direct heat involved. :)

simplycee said:
I rollerset on gray rollers first to get it dry. Then I apply a little coconut oil, wrap my hair and then wrap saran wrap around my hair and sit back under the dryer for about 10 mins. When I take my hair down it is straight, shiny and silky. No direct heat involved. :)

Huh! I should try that!!! Great suggestion :)

Pokahontas started a thread about that technique a week or so ago and posted pics too. Her hair really looked straight like it had been flat-ironed.

simplycee said:

Sounds good!:)

simplycee said:

I agree. The saran wrap does get the hair really smooth and silky. I went to a hairdresser and she did this. I roll my hair with the purple rollers, spray oil sheen, wrap, and put some serum around the wrap. I usually lay down or go to sleep after that. In the morning when I unwrap the curls are relaxed and the wrap is bouncy.

Although I voted for rollerset...I actually do two things at different times.

I either rollerset, or do a braid/twist out.. just depends on what mood I am in after I am done washing/conditioning my hair. Whatever style I choose I get under the dome dryer(indirect heat) to knock out some of the water and then I let the rest dry on it's own.

Cutiepie7691 said:
I agree. The saran wrap does get the hair really smooth and silky. I went to a hairdresser and she did this. I roll my hair with the purple rollers, spray oil sheen, wrap, and put some serum around the wrap. I usually lay down or go to sleep after that. In the morning when I unwrap the curls are relaxed and the wrap is bouncy.

something new for me to try:D

simplycee said:
Ditto. The only thing I do differently is use the purple rollers instead of the gray.:)

pistachio said:
I tried rollersetting, but didn't like the curl volume because I wanted a straight look, and the curl made my hair look shorter. I tried to use gray rollers because Ifigured that since the were big, it'd be less curl defintion. I tried wrapping my hair damp with wrap foam, and a comb, and it gets the job done! Which method do you prefer?

Why don't you try rollersetting then dry wrapping?

This past wash I let my hair airdry in big twists. This morning I used my Carusos and my set came out beautifully.

ETA: Oh, I see the ladies have already mentioned the silk wrap. Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

Last edited:
shunta said:
Ditto. The only thing I do differently is use the purple rollers instead of the gray.:)
I'm wondering if it really matters whether one uses gray, purple or the big green rollers if the goal is to do a silk wrap for straight hair...or are you and others leaving a curl at the end?

After washing, I put my hair in 2 ponytails so the roots dry as straight as possible. Then for texture and definition I'll do a braidout on dry or nearly dry hair.

Back