tips for growing natural hair long

bettytoo

hi i just needs some tips for growing natural hair.my hair about 9 inches in 4 years. so i needs some tips. diet wise and hair maintenance wise i. i normally where braids a lot. please post your album.dont mind if your relaxer just as long as you have tips for growing hair

http://public.fotki.com/BETTYTOO/

Last edited:

remnant

This is my regimen :

Protective styles (Crown and glory challenge :individuals with extensions, weave, twists)
Moisturizing/sealing hair every other day
Co washing once a week
Moisturizing Poo every other week
Clarifying poo once every 5/6 weeks
Reconstructor(affirm 5in1) every other week
Deep conditionning every two weeks when i'm not on Protective style or every 5 weeks after taking protective style off!
No trim challenge
MULTIVITAMINS
DRINK a lot of water
EAT healthy

I'm planning to continue with this until my ultimate goal!

Last edited:

camellia

bettytoo said:
hi i just needs some tips for growing natural hair.my hair about 9 inches in 4 years. so i needs some tips. diet wise and hair maintenance wise i. i normally where braids a lot. please post your album.dont mind if your relaxer just as long as you have tips for growing hair

http://public.fotki.com/BETTYTOO/

Drink plenty of water.

Don't use heat often, if at all. Always use a good heat protectant if you must use heat.

Don't pull your hair back tightly into buns, braids, etc...

My natural hair needs more moisture than protein, I use protein infrequently, too much makes my hair feel hard.

Studio_gal

You need to do the basics which are drink at least 64oz of water , herbal teas etc a day and massage your scalp daily - I think thats what is helping me right now.

SVT

-minimal heat
-put hair in big twist or braids for bedtime
-keeps ends moisturized
-eat healthy (proteins, veggies, etc.)
-exercise (walking is fine)

sweetwhispers

Hey betty what do you do currently?
I have slow growing hair/ hair that doesn't retain much, and i found moisturising has helped me a lot. Also a no-cone regimine.

When your in braids try something like Elasta QP H2. Its a good water based spritz moisturiser. It has a cone but its water soluble. You can make your own braid spray as well.

Do yopu use a shampoo with sulfates? They can really dry out your hair. Shampoos withput sulfates like creme of nature and elasta QP creme are good.

Deep condition regularly. I do it every week. I use natural stuff like coconut milk/honey/castor oil.

Do you do conditioner washes? A really good conditioner is Inecto coconut conditioner it has no cones in it, smells lovely and is very thick and moisturising. Its only £1.50 and you can get it from bodycare or savers. Its a new favourite.

Castor oil is a really good oil to seal with.
Also i like shea butter to seal in moisture as well.

If you don't want to get your braids messy you can wash with a stocking cap on/or wash them with a sponge as demonstrated on the crown and glory page.

Maybe try experimenting with other styles cos i've heard that braids can really dry out your hair.

You should clarify every month or so. I use ACV or bicarbonate of soda, or you can just buy a clarifying shampoo. Basically anything with sulfates.

I think regularly washing and moisturising is a must.

scorpian

sweetwhispers said:
Do yopu use a shampoo with sulfates? They can really dry out your hair. Shampoos withput sulfates like creme of nature and elasta QP creme are good.

Deep condition regularly.

These are good tips...No or minimal sulfates and conditioning regularly

KittenLongPaw

Some good tips here. I agree that it would be helpful to hear what you are doing now/what's your current routine?

I wash once a week with gentle diluted shampoo, then deep condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner mixed with honey, jojoba oil, and my heat cap. I pre-poo with virgin coconut oil the night before I wash.

I condition wash maybe 2-3 times per week. Then I apply a little virgin coconut oil and braid it in two pigtail braids to dry.

I wear my hair up most of the time in buns, braids.

Sleep on a satin pillowcase with my hair in two pigtail braids.

Use seamless combs, and only when I have my hair full of conditioner. Also, don't use hair toys or tools that snag your hair. I use only smooth toys and tools in my hair. No sharp edges.

No heat.

I trim my own hair with good quality hair scissors. I never go the the salon.

I've been consistent with my routine. I've been doing pretty much the same thing for the 4 years I've been on the hair boards, and THAT is how I've grown my hair long. No magical potions, just patience :)

vangrey

my number one tip for growing natural hair long is MINIMALISM.... :grin:
all you need is a good moisturizer, increase your protein intake, and patience:)

KittenLongPaw

camellia said:
OT: KittenLongPaw, I love the new sig! Your hair looks fabulous, you'll be tailbone length in no time!

Thank you Camellia :) I'm trying to catch up with you! Your hair is soooooooooo long and pretty :)