This may a dumb question but...

seraphim712

Is pre-pooing another way of deep conditioning? Or is deep conditioning slightly different?

For example, I pre-poo for an hour using coconut milk before washing out in the shower. Then I follow up with my shikakai bar. Would you consider that deep conditioning?

A dumb question I know...:look:

I always thought pre-pooing was a deep conditioning treatment.

I use Aubrey Organics GPB sometimes to do so and have used coconut oil too. Maybe others will confirm this.

ETA: I don't think this is a dumb question...lol.

Last edited:
I hope someone can tell me if I'm right or completely and utterly WRONG...but I think Shikakai has a drying effect so I would always deep condition after using the bar. I DC after using a Shikakai powder blend. I hardly know much...bumping!

Maybe I over do it, but since I've been hanging out on the board so much I do both. I pre-poo, wash with poo (ewwww LOL) and then I DC. My hair is great after the pre-poo but after the wash it's a bit dry. So I do both.

Pre pooing is to protect your hair from the harsh, drying effects of the shampoo.

If you didn't wanna dc after pre pooing, I guess it would be okay cause your hair wouldn't be all dry and stiff from using the poo. But you still might wanna do a quick condition after pooing with a cheapie just to be safe

I've noticed that since I started pre pooing with oil my ends are a lot more moisturized and they feel great! :yep:

I always thought pre-pooing was a deep conditioning treatment.

I use Aubrey Organics GPB sometimes to do so and have used coconut oil too. Maybe others will confirm this.

ETA: I don't think this is a dumb question...lol.

Yeah pre-poos are great. According to Aubrey Organics conditioners and Ojon Restorative Treatment instructions a pre-poo makes an excellent DC conditioning treatment. The hair absorbs all that conditioner. It also protects the hair during the wash process.

Pre pooing is to protect your hair from the harsh, drying effects of the shampoo.

If you didn't wanna dc after pre pooing, I guess it would be okay cause your hair wouldn't be all dry and stiff from using the poo. But you still might wanna do a quick condition after pooing with a cheapie just to be safe

I've noticed that since I started pre pooing with oil my ends are a lot more moisturized and they feel great! :yep:

I think I will start doing that. I've noticed that after pre-pooing with coconut milk, my hair doesn't dry out from the shikakai bar. But maybe doing a DC treatment will give me much better results.

Back