Thickening My Hair with Castor Oil and . . .

Shawn

. . . glycerin. I just purchased some castor oil and glycerin over my lunch break today. How do I go about using these products? I understand that the castor oil is a thickening agent and that the glycerin is a top-notch moisturizer. Shall I dilute them? If so, with what? Thanks in advance.

Bump . . . . If I don't get some response soon, I'm reposting under the title of my thread to "Beyonce Announces Pregnancy on Larry King"!:lol:

Castor oil is da bomb and so is glycerin. Castor oil can be used in hot oil treatments, be added to conditioners, and you can seal your ends with it.

Glycerin is in a lot of great products like the ORS Replenishing Pak, NTM Silk Touch and S-Curl. It is acts as a humectant. It can also be added to conditioning treatments, homeade leave in sprays and work as a heat protectant. HTH :p

My aunt, is a walking testimonial for castor oil! About a year ago, we started using it in her hair because female pattern baldness runs in our family. She had a bald spot that was hard to cover at the top of her head. Every other night, I would rub a dime-sized amount in the plams of my hand and massage it onto her scalp. Everyone who knew her before and after always compliments her on how thick and pretty her hair is. She says, "I owe it all to my niece (that's me!!), castor oil and my hairdresser."

When you have glycerin and castor oil there are a variety of ways to use them. I use both of these in many of my products. If you are going to mix them together You can use them as a prepoo mixed with a conditioner. I have tried this and it has thickened my hair up well and allowed it to stay super moisturized. The most common way to use them both (which is my personal fav) is to add them to your deep conditioner. I use Lekair Cholesterol (whatever kind you have) and just pour about 4 tablespoons of castor oil and 4 tablespoons of glycerin to it. This IMO gives amazing results and your hair will stay moisturized until your next wash.
My favorite way to use Castor oil alone is to add it to your leave in conditioner. I use Smooth-N-Shine Leave In Treatment (the one you have to shake and it mixes up). I get a medium sized spray bottle, put about 5-6 tubes of the smooth n shine in (this was b4 I learned it came in an actual bottle), about 3 tablespoons of castor oil, and fill the rest with water. I love this mixture the best out of all the other methods. If I don't use the conditioner mix i always make sure that I use the leave in mixture. You have to toy with your own mixture so I suggest not using too much castor oil the first time and then gradually putting more in the mixture until it is just perfect. You do not want your hair to be sticky....it is always easier to add something b/c u cant remove just one ingredient and you will have to throw out the whole mixture (which I learned the hard way the first time I tried).
I rarely use glycerin alone but when I do I use it to seal in the S-Curl when I use the baggie method, or apply some to my edges to moisturize them and to hold them down. I also add a little glycerin to my regular conditioner (Jason's Natural Thin-To-Thick).
I have pictures in my fotki of the results that I have gotten using castor oil and glycerin. I am assuming that you purchased regular refined castor oil (because it is usually right next to the glycerin in the bss). I would suggest that you get some of the unrefined castor oil, alot of people use Jamaican Black Castor Oil but there are also other kinds available in the health food store. The unrefined castor oil tends to give quicker and better results. Ok, I feel like i just wrote an essay...but I hope this helps, if you have any questions send me a PM or post them here. Good luck.

Shawn said:
Bump . . . . If I don't get some response soon, I'm reposting under the title of my thread to "Beyonce Announces Pregnancy on Larry King"!:lol:

Girl, that thread would be on fire! I don't use glycerin so I don't know.... I going to start using castor oil as a prepoo though

bee said:
My aunt, is a walking testimonial for castor oil! About a year ago, we started using it in her hair because female pattern baldness runs in our family. She had a bald spot that was hard to cover at the top of her head. Every other night, I would rub a dime-sized amount in the plams of my hand and massage it onto her scalp. Everyone who knew her before and after always compliments her on how thick and pretty her hair is. She says, "I owe it all to my niece (that's me!!), castor oil and my hairdresser."

I love these kind of testimonials! There are so many good stories like this about castor oil! :D

To answer your question: I've never used glycerin alone but I use castor oil as a prepoo(mixd with a moisturizing conditioner).

I've used Castor Oil as a sealant, but I'm gonna try it as a DC too. I like it for its thickening properties, I :love: thick hair.

Back