texturize or relax? THAT IS THE QUESTION

Innocent_Kiss

ok..heres a sum of my hair story. I decided to go natural in aug 2004. I wore a sew in for about a year and wore my hair naturally styled for about two months. After the two months I got bored w/ my styles so I went straight. I would get wash and sets every two weeks for feathered wraps. Maintaining wraps when my hair was natural was a NO NO! Too much heat required. Then, I had the nerve to get streaks! So, my 4b strands - under the pressure - broke off. Last december I decided to grow my natural hair back and this time I wore kinky twist..up until this day. See, I LOVE curly textured styles like wash and gos, twist outs, rods, etc but I also love an occassional rollerset or wash and set, too. I'm gonna keep my kinky twist up (of course re dos about every 6 weeks) ..until April (AROUND MY 20th BDAY)!!! In April, I plan to let my hair take a loooong break from extensions and style my own hair. I dont know whether I should relax it or texturize it. HELP!!!

i can't give you any experience based advice, but I do have a theory.

If you plan on moving back and forth between natural and straight styles then texturizing would be the way to go. If you figure you're going to wear straight styles more often, just go head and perm it.

i just texturized my hair after 7 years natural. i love curly hair too, but i wanted a change, so texturizing gave me the middle road.

I guess I can ask my question here.

If you have 4b hair, how can you texturize it for a loosen hair pattern if you don't have a curl pattern to begin with.

seraphinelle, I saw your question in the other thread and I'm slightly curious about the answer as well.

I was under the impression that a texturizer would not work on 4b hair becaues there was no curl pattern to loosen. your hair will probably just end up straight. have you thought about texlaxing? it may not have the curly definition anymore but it will be thicker than relaxed hair

JCoily said:
If you plan on moving back and forth between natural and straight styles then texturizing would be the way to go. If you figure you're going to wear straight styles more often, just go head and perm it.

Great advice JC. Next year when I touch up my texturized new growth I'm going to wear a straight do for a lil while right after and until new growth appears. Well that is if I can last that long w/o yearning for my carefree low maintenance curls. :lachen:

VinDieselsWifey said:
i just texturized my hair after 7 years natural. i love curly hair too, but i wanted a change, so texturizing gave me the middle road.

wish i had taken the middle road, now i got 3 textures:ohwell:

If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have texturized instead of relaxed straight. Now I am transitioning to texlaxed which is a beast within it's self with the two diff. textures.

I agree with Jcoily, the middle route is always better. If you don't like it and want to go str8ter you can. if you don't like it and want to transition, you can without the harshness of battling a straight and natural texture. Good luck with you decision regardless.

yeah, i texlaxed as well..i could not be bothered dealing with my natiral hair anymore..i would almost cry when washing and cond. it..it was tedious(sp)..i say go for the middle road..tex...

Back