So what's the difference?

VirtuousBeauty

Ok I plan on texlaxing from now on and was confused on the differences between using a texturizer versus just using a relaxer. I'm looking at the Linange shea butter relaxer and Texturizer and the ingredients are exactly the same and in the same order. So what's the point of having both?

I got this information from Bluebeez.com

Linange Shea Butter Cream Texturizer

Water, Mineral Oil Petrolatum, Ceteraryl Alcohol, Propylene Glyco, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Polysobate 60, Laneth-15, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG(150) Stearate, Steareth 20, PEG (60), Lanolin, Hydroxypropy Itrimonium, Vegetable Protein, Fragrance.

LINANGE Shea Butter Relaxer

Water, Mineral Oil Petrolatum, Ceteraryl Alcohol, Propylene Glyco, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Polysobate 60, Laneth-15, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG (150) Stearate, Steareth 20, PEG (60), Lanolin, Hydroxypropy Itrimonium, Vegetable Protein, Fragrance.

My guess would be a texturizer is weaker (less of the active ingredients in ratio) and is less likely to straighten your hair fully, unless you have very weak hair. So that if you follow the directions correctly, you hair curls will not be straightened but just loosened a bit.

If you're sure you can know the right cut off time for a relaxer not to fully straighten, you could get the same results, but if unsure, I'd say a texturizer is safer.

Some box texturizers use Lithium Hydroxide, I just use a Regular Relaxer and leave it on for a shorter amount of time, I guess it could also be a Marketing thing to make more money IDK lol!!!

More folks should chime in soon.

most stylists texturize with relaxers but only leave it in long enough to loosen the curl pattern. a texturizer is a relaxer cause if you leave it in too long it will straighten your hair. i too think this is a marketing gimmick to take unsuspecting suckas money,lol.

Last edited:
most stylists texturize with relaxers but only leave it in long enough to loosen the curl pattern. a texturizer is a relaxer cause if you leave it in too long it will straighten your hair. i too think this is a marketing gimmick to take unsuspecting suckas money,lol.

The key phrase being "too long", which I understand to mean you aren't following directions. Relaxers work as texturizers if you don't follow their directions and leave them on for too short a time. Texturizers will work as relaxers if you don't follow directions and leave them on too long.

Directions are important and not following them should make a difference. It's like if the recipe tells you lower heat and simmer for one hour, do that. If you decide you don't have one hour and turn the heat up, you will burn the food while it is still uncooked inside. If it says turn heat up and stirfry for 5 mins and you decide you want it well done so you'll lower heat and cook for 30, I hope you enjoy eating little dark rocks.

So if something is not concentrated and you leave it on for a ten minutes, it may not have the same effect as something concentrated that you leave on for ten minutes. But if you take that dilute thing and leave it for twenty minutes, you may just get the same results as the concentrated thing would give in ten.

So if something is not concentrated and you leave it on for a ten minutes, it may not have the same effect as something concentrated that you leave on for ten minutes. But if you take that dilute thing and leave it for twenty minutes, you may just get the same results as the concentrated thing would give in ten.

I get what you're saying. I'll still go the texturizer route I guess. It just threw me off when I looked at that specific brand and saw it was pretty much the same product with a different title

I get what you're saying. I'll still go the texturizer route I guess. It just threw me off when I looked at that specific brand and saw it was pretty much the same product with a different title

That's what I would do too, because I'd feel more confident that if I followed directions and timed well, I'd get better results and closer to what I was looking for than if I used a relaxer and just started guessing at what point it'd have performed like a texturizer.

Back