SL to APL During Most of Your Life:Did you ever take this length for granted?

chicacanella

Ok, this is a spin off from another thread. If you have always been able to reach shoulder length or between APL or APL without any real effort, did you find that you took this length forgranted. Did you think that just because you are this length that mostly anyone could be this length without effort and if so, have you changed your thinking and started seeing the hair growth process from other points of view and been more thankful for what you do have?

I have complained about only being on average between SL and APL, but really I should be thankful for even that. I really didn't believe that people could've been neck length for most of their lives but alot of members attest to it, so I guess I was wrong-no I was in my assumptions.:yep:

Good question. Now that you mention it, I did take it for granted. To me it was no big deal because I was always able to achieve this, like you say effortlessly. Since starting my journey to longer lengths, APL was a big deal because I could only get to BSL if I passed APL. BSL is big deal beacuse I need it to get to MBL and so on. I don't take any length for granted now. Think about it you see people BSL one day and ear length the next because of a mishap, people who can't get over a length hump, etc. So I am very thankful for every inch and I'm never going to complain again.

Good question. Now that you mention it, I did take it for granted. To me it was no big deal because I was always able to achieve this, like you say effortlessly. Since starting my journey to longer lengths, APL was a big deal because I could only get to BSL if I passed APL. BSL is big deal beacuse I need it to get to MBL and so on. I don't take any length for granted now. Think about it you see people BSL one day and ear length the next because of a mishap, people who can't get over a length hump, etc. So I am very thankful for every inch and I'm never going to complain again.

I am thankful too. I don't know why I thought this length was basically, *nothing*. But when you hear other people's story it kind of makes you wonder why I was even complaining in the first place. I kind of doubted people cause I was never a shorter length except for my BC in Jan' 06, which was intentional. But hearing other testimonies gives me a better appreciation for my own goals or hair length.:yep:

Yes, I too abused APL lengh. Good Lord, I was ridiculous negligent :nono:

After joining LHCF and my hair mishap (hair to no hair in minutes!), I totally do not take hair lengh/growth for granted

Yes, I too abused APL lengh. Good Lord, I was ridiculous negligent :nono:

After joining LHCF and my hair mishap (hair to no hair in minutes!), I totally do not take hair lengh/growth for granted

That's good to hear. I remember making a thread to enjoy your hair at every length but I still kind of took it forgranted.

Like, you know how you can enjoy riding instead of taking the bus, but you see people taking the bus and not realize that it could be you. That is how I was. I enjoyed it but it didn't register that I should be thankful at the same time.:ohwell:

:ohwell: you know.. come to think of it..I was BL for YEARS, but got older and started playing in my hair.. My mom did ALOT to take care of our hair. Beer, was a key element. Once a week my mom would DC our hair with Beer. I still dont know what it was for (lived in germany then), but My curls we SUPER thick, and my hair straight was MBL.. Maybe I need to start doing that again.. I will get back to you on the recipe when I talk to my mom...

:ohwell: you know.. come to think of it..I was BL for YEARS, but got older and started playing in my hair.. My mom did ALOT to take care of our hair. Beer, was a key element. Once a week my mom would DC our hair with Beer. I still dont know what it was for (lived in germany then), but My curls we SUPER thick, and my hair straight was MBL.. Maybe I need to start doing that again.. I will get back to you on the recipe when I talk to my mom...

Um, yeah. Please do.:lachen:

I've never been to shoulder length :nono::nono:

I'll let you know if I neglect it when I make it :grin:

Ok, but you probably won't but maybe you neglect the length you are at now. Say if you've always been NL then you might neglect it because you think it is so easy to get there but their may be someone with ear length hair.:yep:

Ok, this is a spin off from another thread. If you have always been able to reach shoulder length or between APL or APL without any real effort, did you find that you took this length forgranted. Did you think that just because you are this length that mostly anyone could be this length without effort and if so, have you changed your thinking and started seeing the hair growth process from other points of view and been more thankful for what you do have?

I have complained about only being on average between SL and APL, but really I should be thankful for even that. I really didn't believe that people could've been neck length for most of their lives but alot of members attest to it, so I guess I was wrong-no I was in my assumptions.:yep:

I think that many of us who can get to SL and beyond easily don't think that it can grow longer than that. I know that all life, I could easily get shoulder and below, but retaining health and length is where the challenge comes in. I would get so frustrated because to me, it serves no purpose to have long hair when it's all chewed up, thin, breaking, and unhealthy. Just my opinion...:drunk:

I did take it for granted. I've always been between SL and APL. After joining this board I was close to BSL until my mishap:spinning:. The only time I seem to appreciate my length is when I look at old pictures of my hair. Once I'm back to APL, I will not take it for granted.

I think that many of us who can get to SL and beyond easily don't think that it can grow longer than that. I know that all life, I could easily get shoulder and below, but retaining health and length is where the challenge comes in. I would get so frustrated because to me, it serves no purpose to have long hair when it's all chewed up, thin, breaking, and unhealthy. Just my opinion...:drunk:

:yep::yep: That's how I feel.

This was all I could find about the beer thing...and you DONT drink it

Flat beer to be exact. Most people might not know that flat beer has been used on hair for years and years by top models and beauty pageant contestants. It styles your hair without stickiness and gives the hair a bounce no other product gives.

Beer also will give extra life to permed hair that is almost at the end, or naturally curly hair that may droop as the day goes on. Here's how to use it...

Leave a can of beer open until it is flat. Pour ½ cup of the beer in a spray bottle. Spray on towel dried shampooed hair before setting, blow-drying, or curling. While you might think you will smell like a brewery, the odor will evaporate quickly...

Shiny and bouncy hair.
For an extra shine,take 1/3 cup vodka, 1/3 cup of your favorite shampoo. Mix together and shampoo as usual. And your hair will shine like never before. Beer is an excellent remedy for dull hair.

Beer rinses are mostly based on dark, rich beers. In general darker beers have more protein and sugars in them (although not always). The principle is simple, the beer gives the hair some extra body as a result of the sugars and proteins in the beer. These adhere to the hair shaft and make them a little thicker as with egg rinses. Unlike eggs though, beer does not have soap or conditioning properties and the residual smell can be quite a significant deterrent to using a beer rinse.

Beer Conditioner
- 1 cup of your favorite brand of beer (warm)
- 1 teaspoon of Jojoba Oil ($14.99 for 4 ounces at Drugstore.com)
Combine ingredients and then apply to hair, spreading conditioner from ends to scalp. Rinse well.

Beer Hair Rinse
Ingredients
- 1 ounce of distilled water
- 7 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 ounce of beer
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
Combine ingredients and then apply to hair after shampooing. Rinse well.

As a conditioner too, beer has excellent results on adding up to the shine of your hair. As it contains vitamin B6, which prevents the build-up of amino acid called homocysteine that has been linked to heart disease, you're sure to have a healthy hear too.

Yeah, my problem was staying between sl and apl, or just getting a few inches past apl. For the most part my hair was healthy but I could never really make it to BSL.:blush:

This was all I could find about the beer thing...and you DONT drink it

Flat beer to be exact. Most people might not know that flat beer has been used on hair for years and years by top models and beauty pageant contestants. It styles your hair without stickiness and gives the hair a bounce no other product gives.

Beer also will give extra life to permed hair that is almost at the end, or naturally curly hair that may droop as the day goes on. Here's how to use it...

Leave a can of beer open until it is flat. Pour ½ cup of the beer in a spray bottle. Spray on towel dried shampooed hair before setting, blow-drying, or curling. While you might think you will smell like a brewery, the odor will evaporate quickly...

Shiny and bouncy hair.
For an extra shine,take 1/3 cup vodka, 1/3 cup of your favorite shampoo. Mix together and shampoo as usual. And your hair will shine like never before. Beer is an excellent remedy for dull hair.

Beer rinses are mostly based on dark, rich beers. In general darker beers have more protein and sugars in them (although not always). The principle is simple, the beer gives the hair some extra body as a result of the sugars and proteins in the beer. These adhere to the hair shaft and make them a little thicker as with egg rinses. Unlike eggs though, beer does not have soap or conditioning properties and the residual smell can be quite a significant deterrent to using a beer rinse.

Beer Conditioner
- 1 cup of your favorite brand of beer (warm)
- 1 teaspoon of Jojoba Oil ($14.99 for 4 ounces at Drugstore.com)
Combine ingredients and then apply to hair, spreading conditioner from ends to scalp. Rinse well.

Beer Hair Rinse
Ingredients
- 1 ounce of distilled water
- 7 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 ounce of beer
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
Combine ingredients and then apply to hair after shampooing. Rinse well.

As a conditioner too, beer has excellent results on adding up to the shine of your hair. As it contains vitamin B6, which prevents the build-up of amino acid called homocysteine that has been linked to heart disease, you're sure to have a healthy hear too.

Thanks alot. I am going to try this evern though I don't drink beer.:lachen:

What a good question. I've been at least SL all my life except for right after high school when I wanted to be grown and I had it cut in a bob. I really did take it for granted personally, but I never really thought about what others could or could not achieve. Now that I'm trying to get to full BSL, I'm appreciating my hair.

Yup, i never paid my shoulder length any attention, nor did i find it to be special. I do notice some women whom are neck length and realize that I should be thankful for what I have.
I am thankful, but I do want more!:ohwell::yep:

Yes, I did take my SL hair for granted. It wasn't special since I was able to get there with no effort. Even when my hair broke off, I was always able to get back to SL. Now that I'm APL for the first time ever, I'm very grateful for it.

Yes, I took SL for granted because I was there for years and years and years...Now that I have just reached APL...I will not take it for granted because this is the beginning of me reaching my goals. Next stop is BSB!!!!

Back