SILK SCARVES

Mandy4610

Hi Ladies,

I am wondering if I could get a few suggestions of where I could get good quality, pretty silk scarves.

Pleas help.

TIA :)

WYSIWYG

I could recommend good quality, plain silk scarves - they aren't necessarily pretty tho. You can buy white or black ones here at relatively inexpensive prices. I love the quality of the scarves.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/scarves/silk/silk-scarves-and-veils.html

I love that place! They also sell silk painting supplies, so you can buy the white silk scarves and dye them any color or pattern you like. I bought a handful of the 30-inch white 8mm Habotai scarves * and dyed them to match my nighties.

*I need the 30-inch scarves because I have a big ol' head. :lol:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
NappyRina

My last purchase were all square scarves of various sizes and qualities so I could pick the ones I liked. My favorite was a thicker weight square one. I can check my receipt to tell you which ones I bought. I was pleased as they have lasted longer than the more expensive department store scarves tho.

virtuenow

I love that place! They also sell silk painting supplies, so you can buy the white silk scarves and dye them any color or pattern you like. I bought a handful of the 30-inch white 8mm Habotai scarves * and dyed them to match my nighties.

*I need the 30-inch scarves because I have a big ol' head. :lol:

@WYSIWYG how did you dye the scarves? Did you use a tutorial? Which dye? A pattern? How did you find that scarf website?

Last edited:

WYSIWYG

@WYSIWYG how did you dye the scarves? Did you use a tutorial? Which dye? A pattern? How did you find that scarf website?

I'm sure I Googled something general like "silk scarves for dyeing" or "plain silk scarves". It's been years, so don't quote me on that. :perplexed

There are lots of silk dyeing tutorials on YouTube. Also, if you Google "Silk Painting" or "Silk dyeing" you'll find everything from super easy kiddie projects to fine arts textile painting.

The Dharma Trading Company website has silk fabric paints and kits and tips on different techniques.

I've dyed scarves with colored tissue paper:
Easy Silk Scarf Dyeing with Tissue Paper
Dyeing Silk Scarves with Spectra Art Tissue

I've used Kool-Aid:
Dyeing Playsilks with Kool-Aid

I've used Sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol:
How to dye fabric with permanent Markers (video)

I've even used my microwave:
How to Dye a Silk Scarf - The Easy Microwave Way (video)
Microwave Dyeing with Silk and Acid Dyes

The scarves are less than $5 each, so don't be afraid to experiment. If it turns out funny looking, you can always use it as a sleeping scarf. :grin:

Last edited: