Self (Hair) Realization...

nakialovesshoes

I decided 2 grow my relaxer out b/c I realized that my hair would straighten easily enough w/o chemicals. Initially I don’t think I really even entertained wearing my natural hair unstraightened. Then I found the wonderful online hair communities and I couldn’t wait 2 c what my natural texture looked like. The day I did my BC, I went 2 a local natural hair salon & bought some DevaCurl No-Poo, some Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Cond & the entire Miss Jessie’s line. Outside of the Miss Jessie’s styling aids, these products really worked for my hair. My hair was always soft – didn’t dry out.

Well, after really getting n2 LHCF, I became a self-admitted length whore. I began jumping on every bandwagon that was giving someone else growth – from MN 2 the Ayurvedic regimen 2 C&G 2 my own personal braids, wigs & weaves challenges. I was seeing so many ladies on here that were getting good results but they weren’t spending a lot of money. So I switched from what really worked for me 2 what was really working for others. And though I haven’t suffered any hair loss, Hallelujah, my hair is as dry as the desert.

So now I’m really learning about me & my hair & what I want. Do I still want length? Yes! But what I have admitted 2 myself is I don’t want it bad enough 2 bun every day. I don’t want it bad enough 2 do the C&G method for 2 years straight. After about a week of any style that includes faux hair, I simply want 2 snatch it out & b done w/it. I’ve decided that I really don’t want 2 fuss w/my hair much @ all. Of course I know I have 2 do normal maintenance such as trims, DCs, etc. But that’s just it, I don’t want 2 do much else. I truly want 2 “wash n go”!

Well, I’ve decided that I am going 2 get my natural hair cut n a “C-Cut” 2 give it some shape & I’m just going 2 let my hair b!

And what’s the point of this thread, u may ask? 3 things…
1. 2 vent
2. 2 possibly encourage members who have either jumped on bandwagon after bandwagon & r simply frustrated or 4 the newer ones who are about 2
3. 2 get encouragement from all my ladies out there who have thriving hair yet they don’t bun, don’t have complex routines, etc.

Last edited:
I feel you. I gave up trying any and everything. It set me back big time. Now I just do me, and my hair is thriving at amazing speed.

I couldn't agree with you more! I can't even add anything more because you just put into words the conversation I have been having with myself. It is good to know that I am not the only one that feels this way. I think you have made a great decision and you will be happier for it.

Good for you! At least you had your epiphany before going broke or doing your hair any damage. I came to the same conclusion after joining this board years ago that you have to cheer on anybody that found a product that works for them, but realize it probably won't give you the same results because everyone's hair is DIFFERENT. Find what works for you and then just do you.

Best of luck to you on meeting your own personal hair goals and keeping it simple.

I thought about this the other day. I have decided to do the K.I.S.S. method. I look in the fotkis of sisters with BSL, WSL and the products(economical) they use and their methods are just as simple as ABC. I have had wonderful results with OCT so I will probably just order the cell therapy next go round and I"m gonna use my Indian powders I ran out and bought with my Giovanni conditioners, none of this is purse busting except for the OCT and soo, that may be history too.

Totally understand the parameters you've set for your journey. I am a hard core length ho who will wear a wig until I get to WSL. I love my wigs though. Thanks for sharing your reality.

OP - i love your post!!

It's good to know what's best for us and us alone.
I know I'm too lazy to even try some of the methods/products these ladies are using, despite getting growth from it.

I'm glad you had your epiphany!

I thought about this the other day. I have decided to do the K.I.S.S. method. I look in the fotkis of sisters with BSL, WSL and the products(economical) they use and their methods are just as simple as ABC. I have had wonderful results with OCT so I will probably just order the cell therapy next go round and I"m gonna use my Indian powders I ran out and bought with my Giovanni conditioners, none of this is purse busting except for the OCT and soo, that may be history too.

See, the economical products were the trap 4 me. The products I began with aren't as expensive as OCT but they don't fall in the cheapie category, either. I will continue 2 use the Giovanni leave-n - that was 1 bandwagon that actually works 4 my hair. But no more Indian powders :nono: - I hate the leftover grit & plus it's 2 time consuming.

OP - i love your post!!

It's good to know what's best for us and us alone.
I know I'm too lazy to even try some of the methods/products these ladies are using, despite getting growth from it.

I'm glad you had your epiphany!

Thanks...honestly, I think it is my true laziness that lead me to my "epiphany". I would find a bandwagon, i.e. the Ayurvedic routine & stick 2 it faithfully 4 a few months & then the laziness would kick in & slowly but surely I'd start slacking.

I'm glad you came to this realization before you ended up broke or bald. I am all set with jumping on every growth bandwagon. Nature is the best bandwagon for me. If I take care of my hair and keep it simple it will grow. Yes I'd love for it to grow a lot faster, but frankly I do not have the patience or the energy to do half the stuff suggested here. But to each her own.

Well, I’ve decided that I am going 2 get my natural hair cut n a “C-Cut” 2 give it some shape & I’m just going 2 let my hair b!

What's a "C-cut"?

Also, I understand what you're saying about sticking to what works for you. Happy hair growing!

Girl I couldn't agree more with your post! I'm back to just listening to my hair now. I don't really dig the protective styling thing b/c I want to enjoy my hair at all the stages.

I was just wondering...what is a "c-cut?"

I decided 2 grow my relaxer out b/c I realized that my hair would straighten easily enough w/o chemicals. Initially I don’t think I really even entertained wearing my natural hair unstraightened. Then I found the wonderful online hair communities and I couldn’t wait 2 c what my natural texture looked like. The day I did my BC, I went 2 a local natural hair salon & bought some DevaCurl No-Poo, some Jane Carter Nutrient Replenishing Cond & the entire Miss Jessie’s line. Outside of the Miss Jessie’s styling aids, these products really worked for my hair. My hair was always soft – didn’t dry out.

Well, after really getting n2 LHCF, I became a self-admitted length whore. I began jumping on every bandwagon that was giving someone else growth – from MN 2 the Ayurvedic regimen 2 C&G 2 my own personal braids, wigs & weaves challenges. I was seeing so many ladies on here that were getting good results but they weren’t spending a lot of money. So I switched from what really worked for me 2 what was really working for others. And though I haven’t suffered any hair loss, Hallelujah, my hair is as dry as the desert.

So now I’m really learning about me & my hair & what I want. Do I still want length? Yes! But what I have admitted 2 myself is I don’t want it bad enough 2 bun every day. I don’t want it bad enough 2 do the C&G method for 2 years straight. After about a week of any style that includes faux hair, I simply want 2 snatch it out & b done w/it. I’ve decided that I really don’t want 2 fuss w/my hair much @ all. Of course I know I have 2 do normal maintenance such as trims, DCs, etc. But that’s just it, I don’t want 2 do much else. I truly want 2 “wash n go”!

And what’s the point of this thread, u may ask? 3 things…
1. 2 vent
2. 2 possibly encourage members who have either jumped on bandwagon after bandwagon & r simply frustrated or 4 the newer ones who are about 2
3. 2 get encouragement from all my ladies out there who have thriving hair yet they don’t bun, don’t have complex routines, etc.

I totally understand girl,

When I first went natural, I thought I'd be wearing my hair straight more often than not, but now, I wear W-n-G's ALL the time!!, co-wash every other day and that's it!!
Other than certain products that I use on and in between wash days, that's my regimen.
Co-wash and go.

and my hair is noticeably getting longer finally!!!:grin:

Honey I feel u. I was trying to get every new product out there and reallizing that at home I had a great product that worked but everytime something new came out I tried it to see if my hair would grow faster. :grin: Also my pocket book was starting to look funny with gas miles and all.

Also I stopped trying all of those vitamins for hair growth and hair potions. I hate the mixing and the measuring Lord have Mercy. Now I am just sailing smooth. :grin:

Here are some pics of a C-Cut. Basically it's just one of those cuts that the Miss Jessie's ladies were doing. The pictures are in progression from when she 1st did her BC to now. Tell me what you think. I want 2 cut mine back to the length she started with. I still have a few straight natural pieces that I want 2 do away with & I want 2 cut as much of this color out as possible. Okay gimme a sec 2 post - I'm having technical difficulties...

Very cute cut! I think it'll look good on you. I just wrote about this in my Fotki journal the other day. It seems like some of us are in such a hurry to get our desired length that despite the fact that we've already found what works for us, we always want to try the next big thing to speed up the progress. I've found my hair flourishes when I keep it basic, use minimal product and just forget about it! You know the saying "You study long, you study wrong" definitely comes to mind when it comes to hair care.

Very cute cut! I hear you with that! While I appreciate the suggestions, all of this gets very overwhelming! Being simple is the best way for me!:grin:

See, the economical products were the trap 4 me. The products I began with aren't as expensive as OCT but they don't fall in the cheapie category, either. I will continue 2 use the Giovanni leave-n - that was 1 bandwagon that actually works 4 my hair. But no more Indian powders :nono: - I hate the leftover grit & plus it's 2 time consuming.
:laugh: I first read that as Grits ... LOL I totally agree with this, I got all dried out by this too. I am liking the K.I.S.S. method, because when I try 50-11 things I can't remember what worked so I'd have to start over :spinning:

Great post :thumbsup:

That is such a hot look!!! - - I'm definately checking that salon out .... just let me get a little more length for them to work with...

Hey girl. I 4got 2 tell u but the friend of a friend that works @ Urbanbella says that the best stylist only works on Mondays only. As soon as I have her name I'll let you know.

Did you get the person's name? I'm tinking about trying this salon.

Sorry it took me a minute 2 respond. I've been on hiatus due 2 a sick child. Anyhoo, I went 2 Urbanbella on Monday 4 a product consultation - I needed 2 find some good styling aids. Anyhoo...I found out that the previous mentioned stylist (Tara - used to b @ 2 Groovy, I think) isn't working there anymore & now they have a new stylist. I know 1 of the girls that works @ Urbanbella & she assures me that the new stylist is really good. I have an appointment w/her (sorry 4got her name already) on June 24th. I'm starting 2 chicken out on the hair cut so I don't know - if I don't get a cut then I'll definitely get a trim & a style. I'll post pics when I do.

Back