Rinsing Time following Relaxer Application

Hi everyone,

My sister wanted your opinion on rinsing time following relaxer application. For those of you who apply your own relaxers, do you rinse for two to five minutes? I thought I read on some other website that rinsing too long can damage the cuticle.

So, can you rinse TOO much following relaxer application?

Thanks.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Well If you don't rinse enough then some chemical could be left in you hair. I don't believe that you can rinse too much not when it comes to getting that relaxer out. I have had broken hair due to someone not rinsing enough!

karezone

Rinse until all of the relaxer is gone. IMO, There is no such thing as rinsing too much. But I have been told that you can over shampoo with neutralizer and the hair will revert back. So shampoo once with neutralizer-rinse, shampoo with a regular shampoo-rinse, and then with neutralizer again.

localhost

I agree with DSD and karezone. I don't think that you can rinse too much...too little brings major problems. I don't time myself when rinsing, I just make sure that all the relaxer is out. But it does take me a good 12 - 15 minutes (including neutralizing shampoo and rinsing). You can never rinse too much.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with DSD and karezone. I don't think that you can rinse too much...too little brings major problems. I don't time myself when rinsing, I just make sure that all the relaxer is out. But it does take me a good 12 - 15 minutes (including neutralizing shampoo and rinsing). You can never rinse too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetpea, I agree with you and DSD and Karezone about the rinsing. I also read on the board that Peachtree likes to do extra rinsing too just to make sure the relaxer is completely out.

Since you apply your own relaxer, can you answer this question? One step that has my sister confused also is the part where you leave the neutralizing shampoo on the hair for five minutes or more AFTER rinsing out the relaxer cream. Do you apply the shampoo to your hair and mix a little water with it to lather it? Or, do you just saturate your hair in shampoo but not work it into a lather?

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

localhost

Good question, Ultrasheen.

What I do is rinse all of the relaxer out FIRST, then use my neutralizing shampoo, working up a lather. I do this because the water starts the neutralizing process and I want ensure that there's no more processing action being done by the relaxer - It can't really process anymore if it's rinsed off my head! It takes me about 5 minutes to lather my newgrowth, scalp, and length with the neutralizing shampoo, and I do it twice - lather/rinse, lather/rinse. I don't really need to let it sit because [hopefully] there's no more relaxer in my hair.

Some ladies apply the neutralizing shampoo before they rinse out the relaxer for the first time...I'm too chicken to try that because I have a phobia of overprocessing. But my method works well for me

[ QUOTE ]
Good question, Ultrasheen.

What I do is rinse all of the relaxer out FIRST, then use my neutralizing shampoo, working up a lather. I do this because the water starts the neutralizing process and I want ensure that there's no more processing action being done by the relaxer - It can't really process anymore if it's rinsed off my head! It takes me about 5 minutes to lather my newgrowth, scalp, and length with the neutralizing shampoo, and I do it twice - lather/rinse, lather/rinse. I don't really need to let it sit because [hopefully] there's no more relaxer in my hair.

Some ladies apply the neutralizing shampoo before they rinse out the relaxer for the first time...I'm too chicken to try that because I have a phobia of overprocessing. But my method works well for me

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetpea,

I misphrased my quesion. I meant to say do you let the shampoo sit for 5 minutes or longer on your hair AFTER you have thoroughly rinsed the relaxer from your hair.

Sorry for the typo.I will edit post.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]

Sweetpea,

I misphrased my quesion. I meant to say do you let the shampoo sit for 5 minutes or longer on your hair AFTER you have thoroughly rinsed the relaxer from your hair.

Sorry for the typo.I will edit post.

[/ QUOTE ]

The neutralizing agent in your case shampoo must sit on the relaxed hair for at least five minutes or your hair will not totally neutralize and the relaxer can still be breaking down your hair. Unfortunately I learned this so late because a lot of shampoo techs use the neutralizing shampoo like any other shampoo and just lather quickly and then rinse it out. This is a no-no
your hair may still be relaxing itself, they should keep it on for at least finve minutes before rinsing and make sure to follow up with a good conditioner. This is one reason I like Motions Relaxer, their neutralizing agent is their conditioner and you keep it on for 15 minutes making sure you're properly neutralized.
Affirm has a similar process as well.

Victorian

old head
I guess I haven't been leaving my shampoo on long enough then. I didn't know--I always just rinsed well first, then lathered up twice with the shampoo. I didn't let the shampoo sit for any specific length of time. I'll try letting it sit for 5 minutes with my next touchup (soon).

localhost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No problem, Ultrasheen. Thanks, Ms_Kenesha.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problemo...my April Hair Goal Model!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaa??! Who, me?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No problem, Ultrasheen. Thanks, Ms_Kenesha.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problemo...my April Hair Goal Model!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, thank you, Sweetpea and Ms. Kenesha. I will pass info along to my sister.