Relaxers on Low Porosity Hair, any more tips?

cocoagirl

For those of us with low porosity hair, we know the challenge of getting our roots straight during the relaxing process. I've read some great tips about flat-ironing the hair right before relaxer application as well as chelating 3 days before to remove buildup. In the past I've left the relaxer on for 35 minutes just to wash it out and see some texlaxed areas as opposed to straight. I'm going to try flat-ironing next time..
Are they any other techniques or products that have helped you low po ladies during relaxing?
How about relaxer brand, any that work excellent?
Are you all using super to help get hair straight or is regular working well?

bump, cause i think i'm low porosity. would tell me more about those other tips or post a link plz?

cocoagirl, I get my hair relaxed professionally. I don't suffer with processing problems. Design Essentials Regular is what my stylist uses. I flat iron my ng about a week ahead of schedule to help with the navigation through the ng but for no other reason.

Shelew - was that question directed to me? Flat ironing 1 week prior gives my hair enough time to experience reversion. If not, I lightly spritz it with water the night prior to TU.

cocoagirl - yes, low porosity.

I'm wondering. If the hair is flat ironed then its probably coated with cones from the heat protectant. Wouldn't that screw with the level of processing.

I'm wondering. If the hair is flat ironed then its probably coated with cones from the heat protectant. Wouldn't that screw with the level of processing.
@Shelew and @TheNDofUO

Let me clarify - if I air dry my hair the week before a TU, I will flat iron my ng only and yes, my heat protectant has -cones but it doesn't impact relaxer processing. Note, I am relaxed professionally; I'm not a self-relaxer.

Most often, I rollerset my hair one prior to TU for sleek roots rather than air drying and flat ironing the ng. It really just depends on if I have the time to rollerset. If not, I'll air dry and lightly hit the roots. I'm not looking for bone straight roots. Just taming them enough so the TU process isn't over manipulating my ng.

I have prods that allow me to rollerset without using -cones. I have done it both ways (with -cones and without -cones) and neither impacts relaxer processing.

If I don't tame the ng before my TU, the stylist has a hard time navigating through it. Made that mistake before and it resulted in breakage, thus flat ironing my ng and/or rollersetting is a better option than doing nothing at all.

HTH

thanks divachyk! i plan on relaxing in the next two months or so, so i know my new growth is going to be crazy. i will try this method. i want to get relaxed professionally as well.

Back