Relaxed Non-combing Ladies..?

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
How on earth do you wear your hair on a daily basis? I am stumped as to how to style my hair if I decide to persue a strict no-comb routine. I understand that many ladies only comb their hair on wash day to detangle. I did the no-comb once while sporting a flexi-rod set, which worked OK for a week/10 days. However, now I'm practicing protective styling with a baggie and either a bun or phony pony and I can't see how I can achieve smoothness without combing. BTW, I wrap my hair and cover with saran wrap at night to retain moisture. I'm open to any suggestions?
P.S. My hair is just grazing my shoulders (4a/b) TIA :)

I believe a lot of ladies who do the no combing thing wear protective styles like buns or braidouts and just sleep in that style and fingerstyle in the morning to re-new the style. I'm currently wearing a phony pony and lately I have stopped wrapping my hair and just taking the ponytail off and putting the scarf on, in the morning I just put the ponytail holder and the ponytail back on and put some Scurl in to slick it back and go. When I wrapped my hair ever night I couldn't do the no combing thing. It takes practice IMO, I took it a couple of days at a time (like the ladies suggest for stretching relaxers) I combed every 2 days then every 3 and now I am at every 5.

MissFallon said:
I believe a lot of ladies who do the no combing thing wear protective styles like buns or braidouts and just sleep in that style and fingerstyle in the morning to re-new the style. I'm currently wearing a phony pony and lately I have stopped wrapping my hair and just taking the ponytail off and putting the scarf on, in the morning I just put the ponytail holder and the ponytail back on and put some Scurl in to slick it back and go. When I wrapped my hair ever night I couldn't do the no combing thing. It takes practice IMO, I took it a couple of days at a time (like the ladies suggest for stretching relaxers) I combed every 2 days then every 3 and now I am at every 5.

Ditto! That's

I put it in a bun on wash day. The next couple of days I spritz with distilled water, rub some oil between my hands, smooth down the flyaways and I'm good to go.

I only use the comb on wash days, and I wear my hair out every day. Lately I have been wearing braidouts, twistouts and most recently a flexirod set. I usually either put it in a high pony at night to maintain the curls. In the morning I take it down, shake it out and style as I want it. I'm still trying to perfect this, but I'm getting better at it with practice. I have been doing this for at least 6 months now.

Hi, I don't comb and I don't wear any protective styles.
I only comb when I wash. I usually wear a braidout for the week or I wear hair straight down. I leave hair straight and tie with scarf everynite with hair hanging out the back. I put a oversized bonnet over that part. Next morning I wake up, take off scarf smooth on serum and go. I repeat this method every single day never having to comb.

sylver2 said:
I only comb when I wash. I usually wear a braidout for the week or I wear hair straight down. I leave hair straight and tie with scarf everynite with hair hanging out the back. I put a oversized bonnet over that part. Next morning I wake up, take off scarf smooth on serum and go. I repeat this method every single day never having to comb.

I'm slowly getting the hang of this. For me the trick is not to take a comb with me to work. No comb = no combing during the day. When I get home at night I apply my moisturizer, tie on a scarf and I'm done. If I decide to make pin curls I finger comb and part.

MissFallon said:

Yep, that sums it up for me.

I'm learning not to comb. for like a 2 weeks I wouldn't comb except every other day (thats hard especially since I rinse after working out) As my hair gets longer I'm learning that I can go a day without combing and not have to worry about tangles (too much that is)

-A

sylver2 said:

i can't wait till my hair gets long enough to do this.

I wear my hair in a bun everyday, also, and I comb only when I wash. It's been really easy, and my hair has thanked me!

Thanks to all you ladies who responded! You ladies are fantastic and so supportive. I tried MissFallon's technique and left my hair unwrapped last night, slicked back; basically in a bun without the bun/phony on with my baggie. It worked out great and I only needed to neaten to surface without actually combing the roots and my phony. So I guess on wash day I should comb before I wash to avoid tangling?

P.S. Sylver2: I know you have a whole shout-out thread dedicated to you and your hair, but I'll say it here while I'm typing - your hair is out of this world, absolutely breathtaking! Talk about inspiration for us newbies... :)

MissFallon said:
I believe a lot of ladies who do the no combing thing wear protective styles like buns or braidouts and just sleep in that style and fingerstyle in the morning to re-new the style.

Yep, that's exactly it. I put a bun in, and then sleep with a scarf..... so in the morning, it still looks relatively neat. If anything, I can use my fingers to lightly scrape escaped strands back into the bun.

I dont comb either, well just once a week if that lately. I just use my hands to smooth it into place, I just clip it up everyday, or just shake it a little if I wanna wear it down, I hardly see any breakage this way. I wash, rollerset and flat iron once every 3 weeks.

the only time I do a no comb is with a wash and go. But my wash and go can only last two days before it becomes a mess and I lose too much hair. I have accepted that I have to wash every other day when I do this.

Back