Quick HELP! My first wash and go!!

luxe.li.

So I'm going out to do event photography tonight at 7pm and I've decided to where a Wash and Go.

1. I don't want to damage my hair with heat, and I want my hair to grow.

2. I want to embrace my natural curl and stop hiding it with straight hair, although I love my straight hair.

3. I want to try something different and stop being so scary.

So I need help. I think its too late to try to turn back now, blow dry it and flat iron it, so I def will be wearing a wash and go.

I want to make sure it doesn't get a frizzy, hot mess once I leave the house.

I NEED SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!

I have Kinky Curly Curling Custard, I have Miss Jessie's Sample Pack. I have CURLZ (Milkshake, Souffle, and Whipped Creme), I have Giovanni Direct Leave in, I have some Samy products for Curls, I have Kinky Curly Knot Today, I have Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter Oil, Shea Butter, Lanolin, and I have a rack of conditioners.

So what should I do to make sure my hair doesn't turn into a frizzy afro. Right not its curly and short.

This is my first wash and go, please tell me what you ladies do for success!!

Whatever you do-don't use them all at once. The last thing you want is a film or product overload on your hair since you are about to go out so soon.

I don't usually care for classifications or types but what is your hair type?

Also have you tried any of those products alone to see what kind of definition it gave you?

Here's what I do:
1. Rinse hair in the shower.
2. Apply some castor oil to soaking wet hair focusing on ends so they don't get dried out.
3. Wrap hair in a tshirt, turban style, to get out excess water.
4. Take tshirt off when damp, fluff, put on headband, go.

I think the most important things are not using too much product because it will take your hair longer to dry and don't mess with your hair too much while it's wet. Combing through the curls will make them frizzy.

LOL ofcourse not all at once. I posted all those products because I am going out tonight and I wanted to see if the ladies on the board perferred one of those products over the other.

Honestly sometimes I don't know what works better. Some days I'm like Miss Jessie's suck, somedays I think it helps. I can't tell. My hair 3c with a splash of 3b at the nape, and 4a at the crown of my head.

I just dc it, washed it out, then put a dab of Giovanni Smooth as Silk in my head and I put a dollop of Samy Get Curls in my hair. I'm about to take a bath and see how it does.

Also its dripping wet, when I put a towel on my head it makes frizzies, but I'll try a tshirt, but not today lmao I'm running outta time before I have to be ready and I can't turn back now and flat iron.

BUT THANKS LADIES FOR THE ADVICE, KEEP IT COMING!

lmao I'm running outta time before I have to be ready and I can't turn back now and flat iron.

GIRL, I know the feeling-lol It is already too late to turn back. Whatever the outcome of your first wash and go I advise you to walk out with your head up high. Sometimes I think I look a mess with my washngo and wind up getting loads of compliments. Just remember our natural hair is effortless beauty.

Here's what I do:

I wash with a line or with products that moisturize my hair very well and are not harsh. ie. blended beauty or organix

Detangle my hair while adding conditioner
**I braid my hair into 4-8 plaits

Briefly rinse the plaits add a little moisturizing leave in then light protein gel along braid

Unbraid plaits/hair play with and scrunch curls with some more leave in

(** I braid my hair into plaits when I am in a hurry to leave somewhere and MUST look decent. Its guranteed defintion for me because my hair texture changes all the time and is very unpredictable.)

Hope this wasn't too confusing. Good luck!

Last edited:
I usually cowash in the shower, squeeze out the water, separate hair into 2 or 4 sections, apply cheapie conditioner like suave coconut, add some olive oil or coconut oil and go. What ever you do, just don't comb it and don't touch it until it's dry to avoid frizzies.

Thanks ladies, and even though I'mma but to see how it works, keep telling me what you guys do. Honestly I'm thinking of wearing a wash and go all week.

LOL ofcourse not all at once. I posted all those products because I am going out tonight and I wanted to see if the ladies on the board perferred one of those products over the other.

Honestly sometimes I don't know what works better. Some days I'm like Miss Jessie's suck, somedays I think it helps. I can't tell. My hair 3c with a splash of 3b at the nape, and 4a at the crown of my head.

I just dc it, washed it out, then put a dab of Giovanni Smooth as Silk in my head and I put a dollop of Samy Get Curls in my hair. I'm about to take a bath and see how it does.

Also its dripping wet, when I put a towel on my head it makes frizzies, but I'll try a tshirt, but not today lmao I'm running outta time before I have to be ready and I can't turn back now and flat iron.

BUT THANKS LADIES FOR THE ADVICE, KEEP IT COMING!

If a towel causes your hair to be frizzy then don't use it because that's not gonna turn out well. Just grab any clean t-shirt and use that.

Whatever you do, try to manipulate it as little as possible after you get out of the shower. If you are using your towel/tshirt and rubbing it through your hair then this is why it gets frizzy. Try:

Co-washing and detangling with a denman followed by an oil rinse. Apply moisturizer to soaking wet hair then gently squeeze out excess water or just plop (wrap the towel/tshirt around your hair and let it absorb the extra water while you proceed with your after bath routine). Once your hair has dried a bit add your curl defining product and if you are really worried about it drying out/getting frizzy then seal with an oil/butter. You can plop again if you don't have enough time to dry before you leave the house.

I can guarantee this will give you frizz free curls. Just don't mess with the curls until they dry!

Here it is, its not all that, but I guess it'll do.

Photo542.jpg

Photo540.jpg

I can't wait til it gets longer. :ohwell: oh well.....

I still have time, because my hair is short so it'll take less time to dry, I didn't do an oil rinse though....I just dc, detangled, rinsed, then I put the curl product in my hair while it was dripping wet, and then I did the castor oil on the ends of my hair....but I'm still looking in the mirror trying to figure out if its fine or not. The pictures I took on my MAC, they don't do a good job at showing the curl, but I don't have time for the digital camera lol.

You know how some people say you can train your hair by wrapping it, can you train natural curls?? Because sometimes when I wash my hair it gets nice juicy curls, sometimes it just wants to be frizzed. LOL

Okay Ladies!! I have 45 minutes before I leave the house, Imma just spend it on LHCF. But I used this product called Samy, Its Samy Get Curlz Re-Energizing Potion.

It might not be the best product for naturals, but until I can get to UrbanBella in Atlanta to get some Devacurl and Hair Rules (I might go tomorrow) it'll do.

What I do like, its gel like, it makes my curls slick looking if I put a lot in but I'm not.

What I don't like, my curls get hard or sticky, and as soon as I get home I'm washing it out.

SOOOO the Samy is bogus. Not only did it make my curls less frizzy, it made them crunchy and by the end of the night my hair still was curly but was so dry and ashy looking, so I wont be using that product again. :(

Ok, so what I've tried with my WNG's are:

Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Leave in - I loved it.

Fantasia IC gel - liked it

When my hair was short, I used mousse, but it made my hair hard when it dried.

I have a pic of my WNG with the Herbal Essence LTR in my fotki if you ever stop by, you'll see in the twists, buns and other stuff folder.

I was gonna pm you cause I was wondering how it went..thanks for the update.

Have you tried using aloe vera gel or curl activator gel? I can get good curls by layering different products but I can never make it look the same twice and it is too much work with the denman blah, blah, blah. My curls really look best with gel but just clumping on most gels will give you extra crispy hair.

Fantasia IC is a great gel and some use it as a curly pudding substitute. I don't use it because of the cones but it is a great gel. With aloe vera gel I can use as much as I like because it is moisturizing and good for my hair and scalp. I did a wash n go with curl activator gel (Smooth n SHine ?) the other day for the first time and it was gorgeous but I didn't like the stickiness of it (I am heavy handed).

Try mixing one of your oils and/or a melted butter with the Sammy gel to make it less crunchy and give you more moisture and shine. Worth a try before just throwing it away.

Sorry so long...I really love gel!

No I haven't tried those, I will definitely look into it. What I notice my hair likes is, whatever product I put in my hair, I take my fine tooth comb, while wet and with product I take a small section, comb out any tangles and kinks, and as it curls up on the comb I take my finger and roll the hair up to help assist with the curling, I like random curls but I notice my hair likes the systematic method.

Back