Puss Bumps in the scalp

Carmen9000

Hello everyone
I have a male friend who has bumps in his scalp. They are bumps and puss and blood comes out of them. He says that they hurt when he combs his hair (his hair is shoulder length) and when he touches them. When I looked at one of them, his scalp around the bump was very red and the bump wasn't that big. It kind of looks like acne but just on the scalp. He asked me what they could be but I have no ideal so I decided ask you all.

trini_rican

He may have gotten a hair cut from a barber who didn't clean his clippers. Try tar shampoo and sea breeze afterwards. Sounds fungal to me.

ETA - scratch the barber and clippers theory ( I see that his hair's long) could be an allergic reaction to a new shampoo or if he's sharing hair tools it could be fungal. Try Benadryl.

Last edited:

mzhotniz86

at first i thought it sounded like keloids, but i dunno since his hair is long .:perplexed does it itch ? if it does it could be a number of things including ringworm (which has a different crazy arse name when its on the scalp) did he recently have braids in? if so , its nothing to worry about . it just meant that the braids were too tight and stress bumps formed. do u have pics?

kittenz

Cosigning, it sounds like a scalp infection. He should see a doctor and see if an antibiotic can clear it up. BTW, If he's scrathing his head alot it can make it worse. The dirt under your nails can be very poisonous (reason it's very important to wash your hands) and if he tore his skin with his nails something could have possibly infected his head.

MoMo

My dad had this same problem for years. He would usually put some type of grease in his hair. Once he stopped with the grease and started using gel, it healed. I agree with the poster that stated his pores may be clogged.

Sistaslick

If this is something he's battled for awhile and isn't just a passing rash/irritation, he really needs to see a dermatologist.

dlewis

Hello everyone
I have a male friend who has bumps in his scalp. They are bumps and puss and blood comes out of them. He says that they hurt when he combs his hair (his hair is shoulder length) and when he touches them. When I looked at one of them, his scalp around the bump was very red and the bump wasn't that big. It kind of looks like acne but just on the scalp. He asked me what they could be but I have no ideal so I decided ask you all.

My friend has the same problem and she uses proactive shampoo and it has helped.

aliceo

If he has pus in them he probably has an infection - maybe follicilitis? He should see someone because he could be able to get an antibiotic cream to help with it.

Blu217

It sounds exactly like folliculitis, which I've had a few times recently. It's very painful and unsightly. My doc recommended tea tree oil and T-Gel shampoo. Both dried it up nicely in a few days, but it can come back.

Your friend should be sure to keep his scalp very clean; don't let sweat or product build up or it will almost certainly cause a flare-up. And like the others have said, he should see his derm to find out for sure. He might have a staph infection.