Processed honey vs raw honey

melissa-bee

Does anyone go all out and make sure they get the rawest honey they can find to deep condition with?
Or do you just pick up the cheapest honey in the supermarket?
For those who have tried both is there much difference?
I use the cheap processed honey and it works perfectly in terms of providing moisture.
I know the raw honey has peroxide in it if you're trying to lighten your hair. But if you are not trying to lighten your hair I don't think there is much point on spending extra money on raw honey
What one do you use?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LHCF

I tried my mom's raw honey she bought at a farmer's market and I gotta give it up for raw honey, it was awesome in my hair, super soft results. I still continued to buy honey out of the grocery store but I plan on buying some raw honey and black strap molasses for my hair soon.

@My_Friend yes. Honey is a humectant and acts similarly as glycerin when it comes to moisture.

Considering that honey from China (which is where most "processed" honey comes from) has no pollen so it isn't even considered honey and the fact that China is very loose on their laws on how the honey is MANUFACTURED, for health purposes I stay away.

There's been an article written about it.

I'm middle of the road. I buy whole foods brand filtered organic. I don't buy raw honey because it can trigger an allergic reaction in some people and I don't want anyone in my family getting hurt.

I buy the cheapest doggone stuff that I can find and I've never tried raw honey to know the difference BUT I did read the other day about a lady here who used cheap oils from the supermarket and then bought one from a health store and says she can't now go back to the cheap stuff.

lamaria211 - you tried both, right? and din't notice any difference?

I've switch back and forth a lot depending on funds. Though I don't really use honey now, I will say I had the best results with raw. Seemed to keep my hair softer longer. Didn't experience lightening

Once I tried raw honey I couldn't use the processed kind anymore. The raw is good for slicking back edges and it tastes better too.

Sent from my HTC Evo

I only buy local honey, raw if possible. I use it for both internal and external use.

I don't trust honey from big name stores or brands.

Most Honey Sold in US Grocery Stores is Not Honey
According to a study done by Food Safety News, three-quarters of the honey sold in the US is not proper honey.

What this means is that the honey sold is missing pollen. This is a product of ultra-filtering the honey, which is unnecessary, reduces nutrition and is only used to obfuscate the source of the honey.

Why would you cover the source of the honey? It’s a complex mix of economics and food policy that too often results in illicit honey from China and other countries making its way into the United States. It’s not that the honey from these countries is inherently bad, but it can be, and has been in the past.

What is proper honey?

Honey naturally contains a certain amount of pollen from the flowers from which bees get nectar.

According to US standards, any product that’s been filtered so much that it no longer contains pollen cannot be labelled as honey. Such a product would also flunk tests used by other world food safety organizations to determine the legitimacy of the honey.

Why is honey ultra-filtered?

Honey is normally filtered to remove things like bee parts that consumers do not want in their honey. This is normal and acceptable. Turns out most people don’t like to see legs and wings in their honey. (However, the best honey I’ve ever had had bee parts in it…)

Honey is ultra-filtered to remove pollen so that its origin cannot be traced. This may not seem like a big deal, but there have been problems with honey from China (both economical and food safety-wise), and honey is laundered from China through other countries to the United States and somewhere in the middle, the pollen is filtered out solely so that its origin cannot be traced.

“There is only one reason to ultra-filter honey and there’s nothing good about it.”

-Mark Jensen, president of the American Honey Producers Association

Ultra-filtering diminishes the quality of the honey, removing a key component and nutritional value, and no reputable source of honey would do this.
What is the FDA doing?

Chinese honey is heavily tariffed because its low prices were putting American bee keepers out of business. This is why it is laundered, like a black market for honey.

The FDA put little resources into ensuring honey safety and quality. Pollen analysis is the only sure way to determine the origin of honey, and fewer than five laboratories do such analysis…and it is not cheap.

An example of a result of this inaction is that laundered Chinese honey, which was contaminated with antibiotics and other chemicals, was found to have been distributed by Smuckers and Sara Lee several years back.

It is suspected that less than 5 percent of honey imports are ever checked…so they are not doing enough. You are on your own.

“I don’t know of any U.S. producer that would want to [ultra-filter honey]. Elimination of all pollen can only be achieved by ultra-filtering and this filtration process does nothing but cost money and diminish the quality of the honey.”
“In my judgment, it is pretty safe to assume that any ultra-filtered honey on store shelves is Chinese honey and it’s even safer to assume that it entered the country uninspected and in violation of federal law.”
-Mark Jensen, president of the American Honey Producers Association

Time for the results

The bad

76 percent of samples bought at major grocery stores had all the pollen removed
100 percent of the honey sampled from drugstores had no pollen
77 percent of the honey sampled from big box stores had all of the pollen filtered out
100 percent of the honey packaged in the small individual service portions had no pollen

The good

All of the honey from farmers’ market, co-ops and natural stores contained the expected amounts of pollen
@westNDNbeauty Were you referring to that article?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=86855

Last edited:
I prefer raw honey when I DC, it's much better in terms of my hair absorbing the nutrients from it.

Back