HeChangedMyName

Now Jabez called on the God of Israel,

saying, "Oh that You would bless me indeed

and enlarge my border,

and that Your hand might be with me,

and that You would keep me from harm that it may not pain me!"

And God granted him what he requested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp5smhDBGH4
I would like to invite you all to participate in Prayer of Jabez 2009. I would love to share with you all the growth that only God and his Word can provide. If you don't have the book, I encourage to to get one--- The Prayer of Jabez Breaking Through to the Blessed Life by Bruce Wilkinson. I got mine at the Dollar Tree for $1.00.

Along with reading the book and meditating on the prayer of Jabez, I have also been listening to the song Bless Me by Donald Lawrence that I posted above

The book just gives insight to the prayer of Jabez and who he was. It is not meant to be a substitute for the Bible. I really like how the author discusses the barriers that we may and do come up against when we begin to step out on faith and out of our comfort zone. I saw examples that accurately represented myself over and over in the book.

The author asks that you pray the prayer each morning; write out and post the prayer up where you can see it. He also asks that you read the book once per week for 30 days and each time pray and ask God to show you something in the book new or something that you may have missed. He asks that you share your commitment with someone else; keep a record of changes that you experience in your life due to the Jabez prayer and the power of God. Also begin praying the Jabez prayer for your family, friends, and church.

Last edited:
each week as I read the book, I will notate different insights that I have gained from the book that stood out to me. This is just week one. I can't wait for week two.

My Notes from the Book

week 1: Feb 25-Mar 4

* p 17, ". . .you can proceed from this day forward with the confidence and expectation that your heavenly Father will bring it to pass."
* p 24, "Notice a radical aspect of Jabez's request for blessing: He left it entirely up to God to decide what the blessings would be and where, when, and how Jabez would receive them."
* p 31, "Surely I was born for more than this!"
* p 43, "To pray for larger borders is to ask for a miracle--it's that simple. A miracle is an intervention by God to make something happen that wouldn't normally happen
* p 47, "'that feeling you are running from is called dependence. It means that you're walking with the Lord Jesus.' He paused to let me take in his words, then continued. 'Actually, the second you're not feeling dependent is the second you've backed away from truly living by faith.'"
* p 63, "in this one our petition is for supernatural help to protect us from Satan's proven ability to make us come in second."
* p70, "Do we really understand how far the American Dream is from God's dream for us?"
* p 85, "You should know that when you sin after experiencing the Jabez blessing, you'll experience a deeper grief over your disconnect from God than you ever thought possible."

Last edited:
I have also found it helpful for myself to add some additional prayers daily(usually at night) of thanksgiving and expectancy. I just need to keep reminding myself that God will do what he says. These aren't a part of the book, but I find it very helpful, especially the last one. . .that is a common benediction at many churches and for me, it signifies completion of a thing. My way of staying in submission to God and letting him do what he does best.

2 Samuel 7
25"Now therefore, O LORD God, the word that You have spoken concerning Your servant and his house, confirm it forever, and do as You have spoken,

26that Your name may be magnified forever, by saying, 'The LORD of hosts is God over Israel'; and may the house of Your servant David(SuperNova too) be established before You.

27"For You, O LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, have made a revelation to Your servant, saying, 'I will build you a house'; therefore Your servant has found courage to pray this prayer to You.

28"Now, O Lord GOD, You are God, and Your words are truth, and You have promised this good thing to Your servant.

29"Now therefore, may it please You to bless the house of Your servant, that it may continue forever before You. For You, O Lord GOD, have spoken; and with Your blessing may the house of Your servant be blessed forever."

Jude 1
24Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,

25to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

If you don't have the book, I encourage to to get one---I got mine at the Dollar Tree for $1.00.

I think there may be a few different publications
is the book you are referring to by Bruce Wilkinson?
or title? someone else?

The author asks that you pray the prayer each morning; write out and post the prayer up where you can see it.

I like this idea a lot :) ..I may even write the prayer out every day during Lent as part of prayer journaling....and add then any insights as you mention to do...

I think there may be a few different publications
is the book you are referring to by Bruce Wilkinson?
or title? someone else?

I like this idea a lot :) ..I may even write the prayer out every day during Lent as part of prayer journaling....and add then any insights as you mention to do...

Yes, this is the book by Bruce Wilkinson. Writing it out daily sounds like a good idea too.

as you mentioned starting a Jabez social group
are you doing this thread AND as a companion
starting a Jabez group in the social groups?

or has this thread become the Jabez group?
Wondering where to look to be situated... :)

I'd love to pray jabez if it's God's will...
and together with a group..if you're coordinating it, Ms SN

Last edited:
as you mentioned starting a Jabez social group
are you doing this thread AND as a companion
starting a Jabez group in the social groups?

or has this thread become the Jabez group?
Wondering where to look to be situated... :)

I'd love to pray jabez if it's God's will...
and together with a group..if you're coordinating it, Ms SN

Well, I would love to start a Jabez group, but only if there are sufficient people to participate. Until more ladies on the board express interest, this thread should be enough for us.

I will be keeping track of my notes from the book each week in my blog. I can post them in this thread also if it will be helpful to others. Especially for those who don't have the book yet. I hope to gain something new and awesome under God's direction each week.

I am interested in saying this prayer. I use to say it before once a friend introduced me to it.

Do you have the book?

I would venture to say that if anyone would like me to pick up a book from my Dollar Tree I will if you would just cover the costs of it and it's shipping to You, it is a small book so it may make it on a couple of stamps in a bubble envelop. I'll try to stop by the post office this week with my copy to check on shipping prices. Otherwise if you want to find the book online it may be just as cheap on Amazon.

I thought about just starting a Jabez group. That way it could be ongoing. Any takers? Just let me know and I will do it.

that was my thought from your earlier post?

I would love to start a Jabez group, but only if there are sufficient people to participate. Until more ladies on the board express interest, this thread should be enough for us.

lol...still a lil confused

SuperNova...sounds you decided instead of a Jabez group to instead open an ongoing thread on a book study based on Bruce Wilkinson's Jabez..
that's why you are asking.... we should all have the book..yes?
this should be very helpful..I do have that book~
awesome to have an ongoing study on enlarging territory

I am also personally eager to enter another targeted period of time to pray the prayer again..that was so powerful when we all doing that!!

maybe blog it as an accompaniment to your book study :)

Last edited:
that was I thought from your earlier post?

lol...still a lil confused

SuperNova...sounds you decided instead of a Jabez group to instead open an ongoing thread on a book study based on Bruce Wilkinson's Jabez..
that's why you are asking.... we should all have the book..yes?
this should be very helpful..I do have that book~

I am also personally eager to enter another targeted period of time to pray the prayer again..that was so powerful when we all doing that!!

maybe blog it as an accompaniment to your book study :)

Yes ma'am, I've opened the thread in lieu of a group. . .only because there isn't enough interest expressed to start a group(if interest grows then I would be glad to either start or participate in a Jabez social group here on the board).

Yes, also I am basing this Jabez thread on the study of the book which is based on the prayer found in the Bible. The time period recommended in the book by Wilkinson is 30 days. My blog started as a companion to the book

if interest grows then I would be glad to either start or participate in a Jabez social group here on the board).

that'd be awesome

The time period recommended in the book by Wilkinson is 30 days. My blog started as a companion to the book
so..I'll do it..30 days...and thank you so much for the getting the ball rolling! :)

are you well into the 30?

I ordered the Jabez for my kids from Amazon. How long does it usually take to get stuff from there? I've just been having them to add it to their bedtime prayers in the meantime. The house has actually gotten a lot more peaceful.

I ordered the Jabez for my kids from Amazon. How long does it usually take to get stuff from there? I've just been having them to add it to their bedtime prayers in the meantime The house has actually gotten a lot more peaceful.

I'm sorry:blush:,but..

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

don't you love it....
The Jabez prayer instead of Super Nanny

Last edited:
I'm sorry I haven't been posting here. I've been trying to cut down on my e-time a bit. I am in the middle of week three and I just thought I'd share my notes from weeks one and two with you all who would like to see how God can show you things where you never even thought to look.

week 1: Feb 25-Mar 4

• p 17, ". . .you can proceed from this day forward with the confidence and expectation that your heavenly Father will bring it to pass."
  • p 24, "Notice a radical aspect of Jabez's request for blessing: He left it entirely up to God to decide what the blessings would be and where, when, and how Jabez would receive them."
  • p 31, "Surely I was born for more than this!"
  • p 43, "To pray for larger borders is to ask for a miracle--it's that simple. A miracle is an intervention by God to make something happen that wouldn't normally happen
  • p 47, "'that feeling you are running from is called dependence. It means that you're walking with the Lord Jesus.' He paused to let me take in his words, then continued. 'Actually, the second you're not feeling dependent is the second you've backed away from truly living by faith.'"
  • p 63, "in this one our petition is for supernatural help to protect us from Satan's proven ability to make us come in second."
  • p70, "Do we really understand how far the American Dream is from God's dream for us?"
  • p 85, "You should know that when you sin after experiencing the Jabez blessing, you'll experience a deeper grief over your disconnect from God than you ever thought possible."

week 2: Mar 4-Mar11

• p 12, ". . .it reaveals that your Father longs to give you so much more than you may have ever thought to ask for."
  • p 13, "Jabez was more honorable than his brothers,"
  • p 17, "core commitments on your part,"
  • p24, "the Jabez blessing focuses like a lazer on our wanting for ourselves nothing more and nothing less than what God wants for us.", "what we really wants--which is to become wholly immersed in what God is trying to do in us, through us, and around us for His glory."
  • p29, God's bounty is limited only by us, not by His resources, power, or willingness to give."
  • p31, If you're doing your business God's way, it's not only right to ask for more, but he is waiting for you to ask. Your business is the territory God has entrusted to you."
  • p 32, "Your home is the single most powerful arena on earth to change a life for God."
  • p 36, "As your opportunities expand, your ability and resources supernaturally increase, too."
  • p41, "Our God specializes in working through normal people who believe in a supernormal God who will do His works through them."
  • p44, "When you take little steps, you don't need God."
  • p47, "As God's chosen, blessed sons and daughters, we are expecting to attempt something large enough that failure is guaranteed...unless God steps in."
  • p54, "The 'hand of the Lord' is a biblical term for God's power and presence in the lives of His people(see Joshua 4:24 and Isaiah 59:1)"
  • p55, When we ask for God's mighty presence like Jabez and the early church did, we will also see tremendous results that can be explained only as from the hand of God."
  • p59, "pray for the Holy Spirit to move in their own congregation and bring repentance and revival."
  • p61, "Because for the Christian, dependence is just another word for power."
  • p 65, We were redeemed and commissioned for the front lines. That's why praying to be kept from evil is such a vital part of the blessed life."
  • p 68, As we move deeper into the realm of the miraculous, the most effective war against sin that we can wage is to pray that we will not have to fight unnecessary temptation."
  • p 74, "'Stay out of the arena of temptation whenever possible,' he would advise, 'but never live in fear or defeat.'"
  • p 77, "You would be giving into a carnal impulse if you were trying to outdo someone else, but you are living in the Spirit when you strive to receive God's highest reward."
  • p78, "How would your day unfold if you believed that God wants your borders expanded at all times with every person and if you were confident that God's powerful hand is directing you even as you minister?"
  • p82, "Your Father knows your gifts, your hinderances, and the condition you're in at every moment."

I've also purchased Jabez for my kids, one for the little people which is in the form of a story with pictures and another for my 8 yr old which requires some thought on his part to process the information. I am seeing growth in people around me as well since I have been praying increase for those around me as well and I see God's hand moving in the lives of those around me.

Back