Post Big Chop DC Recommendations

JaszG

I did the BC on May 11th. My hair is probably 4-5 inches all around. It is so dry, and from what I read it is normal, but I can't find a balance. Its driving me crazy. I've been using AO Honeysuckle Rose, and The Mane Choice. I've been using Camille Rose Hair Milk, and the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie as moisturizers. I cowash with tresemee naturals. I'm trying to avoid becoming a product junkie, but I feel like I'm about to try every DC ever made. :look:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Have you tried the Qhemet Biologics line of products?

You mentioned the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie, but I like the Shea Moisture Hair Milk better.

How's your water intake and eating habits? Taking any medications? Taking vitamin supplements?

virtuenow

AO GPB is the best DC ever made. It balances your moisture & protein, adding strength-- and hence, locking in moisture like no other product is able to do.

MsDee14

After I BC'ed to regain moisture, I prepood with Coconut Oil then DC'ed with AO White Camellia.
It worked well for me.
Then a week later I did my normal Henna treatment which was exactly what I needed.

JaszG

Have you tried the Qhemet Biologics line of products?

You mentioned the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie, but I like the Shea Moisture Hair Milk better.

How's your water intake and eating habits? Taking any medications? Taking vitamin supplements?

All of those could definitely be better. I'm not taking any vitamins. I haven't tried Qhemet yet.

prettybyrd

I find that rinsing (or co-washing) my hair, adding my Tresemme Naturals conditioner, then a light oil on top, keeps my hair moisturized.

When I DC, I use whatever I have in the cabinet that I need to use up. But, this daily regimen keeps my hair nice. I do use a protein treatment bi weekly for moisture/protein balance.

HTH! :)

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
All of those could definitely be better. I'm not taking any vitamins. I haven't tried Qhemet yet.

JaszG
A DC is only one aspect to overcoming dryness; product choices help but moisturizing your hair from the inside out can ensure lasting results.

I know you want DC recommendations, but understand that eating right, drinking adequate amounts of water and consuming the right nutrients will help you overcome longterm issues of dryness that impact your hair.

Currently, there are two DCs I've tried that even my hair guy likes for me and they are Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback Treatment and Ouidad's Salon Series Omega-3 Replenishing Hair Treatment. They are awesome.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
It's important to figure out your hair properties first. For example, I'm fine texture, low porosity, thick density. GPB doesn't work for me because it has too much protein, though it works for a lot of people. Curl Junkie Deep Fix is great for me.

I recommend first figuring out your hair properties and then finding other people with similar properties. For example, I know there is a low porosity support thread. I think there is a high porosity one as well.

Also, technique is important. I have to use heat and a good amount of time to deep condition because my low porosity makes it hard for anything to get into my hair.

bigbrowneyez

I just BC'ed and I've found that the Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner work well. cowash daily or every other day since I have a TWA; i use the shampoo weekly. After washing, I use Kinky Curly Knot Today and AsIAm Moisture milk as a leave-in. Then I apply castor oil and jojoba oil mix. Then seal with Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. As a styling gel I use Kinky Curly Curling Custard. My hair stays more moisturized than it did when I first BC'ed. If I don't cowash in the morning, i'll wet my hair with a water/glycerin mix. Hope that helps. I'm still learning my hair as well.

JaszG

Thank you for all of the replies ladies! uofmpanther I did a few porosity tests and saw that most of my hair is low-normal porosity while the front of my hair is high porosity. I assume its because I experienced heat damage in that area.