Piggyback Topic Off: Any Relaxed Heat Stylers w/ Healthy Hair??

CreoleInDC

As I was reading the thread I noted that the majority of the women who don't have a problem with using heat at least weekly are those whom already have past shoulder length hair.

Would you still use the heat as often if you didn't have hair that length and longer? Or...is it safe to say that if you're GROWING your hair to the length you want it...THEN you should focus on no heat and protective styles and then when it's grown to where you want it...you can step up the heat for more of a flowing look?

No, I probably wouldn't use as much heat if my hair was shorter. Also, I've always had thick hair, and I definitely wouldn't use heat if my hair was thinner, because I think I would have more damage.

However, I still can't see myself using protective styles with shorter hair. I think I've always been a bit more concerned about look vs. length (do I belong on this board?:D ). I have to look cute, and if that means slow growth, so be it!

I think a good inspirational person for this would be Michelle3147...she told me she tossed her curling irons years ago and she grew her hair to the length it is now without heat.

CreoleInDC said:
As I was reading the thread I noted that the majority of the women who don't have a problem with using heat at least weekly are those whom already have past shoulder length hair.

Would you still use the heat as often if you didn't have hair that length and longer? Or...is it safe to say that if you're GROWING your hair to the length you want it...THEN you should focus on no heat and protective styles and then when it's grown to where you want it...you can step up the heat for more of a flowing look?

When I had shorter hair, above the shoulders, i use to blowdry then flat iron once every 2-3 weeks for years and even though it did grow, it wasnt in as good condition as it is now. The main thing that turned around the health of my hair I would have to say was rollersetting under a hooded dryer without flat ironing afterwards . The only reason why i flat iron now is because I changed relaxer and this one underprocesses me, I dont want to step up the heat, but i have to or else it is unmanagebale and causes more breakage. I would never step up the heat out of choice, I think that if you get complascent or step up the heat too much once you have long hair, it could lead to breakage/damage. The longer your hair is, the older and more fragile it is and the more it is subject to wear and tear, thats why I never flat iron my ends and never have any split ends/ or realy need a trim (I still trim a tad after every relaxer). Its not how much you make, its how much you keep... .

when i was fully relaxed, i think my hair was pretty healthy... i never had any qualms about using heat - it was an everyday occurrence for me from high school until about a year ago...

CreoleInDC said:

Does heat give a flowing look? I haven't thought about it that way, maybe it does. I've only experienced heat as being damaging to my hair and that's why I avoid it, no matter what the length.

I have always used heat the same way no matter what length I was..

I have definitely cut down on it, but I never went without heat long. The longest was 4 weeks and that was in basic training :lol:

My hair is past brastrap, hovering above waist (get to waistlength, Hair!!!) and while I was growing it out, I never used heat. No blowdryers, no curling irons. But now that it's longer I use more heat. I still don't use extreme heat. For example, I blowdry my hair about twice a week, but I use the warm temp vs the hot temp.
I think heat can be used responsibly with minimal damage.

I would say if you have the type of hair that does not respond well to heat then don't use it. If you have the said hair type then go for x amount of time without heat and it grows long. What makes you think if you go back to the heat that your hair wouldn't fall out?

Some people can use heat successfully and other's can't. It is good to know which type you are.

I thought I was successful using heat and having a relaxer, I had nice shoulder length hair and was a heat abuser. I BC and have been natural for 8 years and now my hair is reaching my waist. I would never think of putting heat on my hair, because it will end up back to shoulder length.

Caramela said:
My hair is past brastrap, hovering above waist (get to waistlength, Hair!!!) and while I was growing it out, I never used heat. No blowdryers, no curling irons. But now that it's longer I use more heat. I still don't use extreme heat. For example, I blowdry my hair about twice a week, but I use the warm temp vs the hot temp.
I think heat can be used responsibly with minimal damage.

I agree....I don't think cutting heat out completely guarantees no damage at all. Combing or brushing your hair the wrong way or with the wrong products can damage it as well.

marie170 said:
I agree....I don't think cutting heat out completely guarantees no damage at all. Combing or brushing your hair the wrong way or with the wrong products can damage it as well.

ITA. I don't think cutting out the heat completely will mean no damage at all. It just will mean less possible heat damage. I think you can be successful with low/ moderate amounts of heat... but low and moderate are relative terms. Low for me might be moderate to high for you. :)

There are exceptions to every rule- especially in the hair game. At the end of the day, it depends on your hair. You'll learn what you can take as you learn your own head of hair. If you continue to grow on and thrive on a level you are pleased with . . .all on a moderate/high heat regimen-- then you know you are good.:D But if you find your hair is not thriving, and its taking you longer to reach certain goals, then you know its time to turn it down a little.

I know that my hair does not have a high heat capacity. Occasional heat is okay with me, but if I made it a weekly ritual-- I'd be right back at June 2004 where I began this thing :lol:

Just because person A, B, and C can manage very well at a certain high or low level of heat use, does not automatically mean yours will fair as well. You will have to learn your hair and adjust your methods to accomadate that. Like food. Just because someone can eat 15 pies in a sitting and not gain a pound does not mean you can eat that many without consequence :lol:

Isis said:
Does heat give a flowing look? I haven't thought about it that way, maybe it does. I've only experienced heat as being damaging to my hair and that's why I avoid it, no matter what the length.

My hair definitely moves more when it's flatironed. Hence "flowing."

Sistaslick said:
Just because someone can eat 15 pies in a sitting and not gain a pound does not mean you can eat that many without consequence :lol:

DANGIT! How did you know I was over here eating pie? Peach Praline...mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Do you think blow-drying and flatironing once a week is too much?

If you use heat protectants and leave-in conditioners is heat damage still a problem?

I dont think it should be.

I don't trust flat irons period. If you want to do a rollerset and blowout the roots, I think that would be fine.

sassyhair said:
Do you think blow-drying and flatironing once a week is too much?

If you use heat protectants and leave-in conditioners is heat damage still a problem?

I dont think it should be.

For my hair it is fine. I use heat protectants and deep coonditioner, and all the works, because i bd and flatiron once a week. But the thing is it isn't hurting me but I also notice my growth is slower. I don't mean that they are making my hair grow slower but I think it is making it more difficult for me to retain length. I decided I will start rollersetting and doing phony ponies and bantu knots, trying to cut down on BD atleast once a month and flat ironing about twice a month.

I think my hair was relatively healthy, it's just that I am curious to see how much length I obtain using NO heat at all. That's why I am on a no heat personal challenge for about a month.

It's been a process over some years, but my basic story is that I was able to get some nice length while using a blow dryer and curling iron once a week. But with that regimen, my hair never got longer than a few inches below shoulder length.

I was able to retain EVEN MORE length by cutting out the blow dryer and using only the curling iron once a week... still not to brastrap though.

Finally, after cutting out the curling iron also I was able to reach lengths I never thought I'd reach before. (current length) I still use my curling or flat iron once or twice every 6 months or so, and I may see my blow dryer once a year. Other than that, it's all about air-drying! (IMO, rollersets are great and non-damaging too)

Last edited:
My thoughts on heat protectants:

*better than nothing at all, but still not as good as no heat at all
*damage will be less, but not non-existent

I hear you ladies loud and clear. I am afraid to resort to using direct heat again because it was jacking my already damaged hair up on the regular. Here I was with my hair still breaking, almost all of it had fallen out on the back right side of my head and I still sat in my bathroom morning after morning trying to curl that mess while hair was all over the sink and the floor. It was a very vicious cycle for me.

Lonei..and the other girls who rollerset under dryer and then flatiron...

Why is this less damaging? What do you set the dryer on? What are the results?

I roller set and dry at the highest setting. However, i don't use any other heat on my hair - no flat iron, no curling iron.

Safina87 said:
Lonei..and the other girls who rollerset under dryer and then flatiron...

Why is this less damaging? What do you set the dryer on? What are the results?

I dont know how to rollerset, but I can tell you that drying under the dryer is less damaging than a blow-dryer because the heat isnt direct- it is circulating all over. :)

thanx goldensensation!

Ok I see....So if I would like a straight look...should I rolerset my natural hair sit under a dryer and then use a flatiron..would this be less damaging than usinng a blowdryer and then flatironing?

Last edited:
I've never used flat irons, but did use a curling iron about 3-4 times a week and my ends stayed damaged. I used to get a trim every 6-8 weeks because they would be so dry and rough looking...so of course it seemed my hair wasn't growing.

Also, not only is the heat circulating in a hood dryer, with roller sets the ends are tucked away under the rest of the hair.

For those who are roller set challenged and would like to learn, practice on dry hair.

Hope this helps.

Totally OT: You and the hubster are so cute. You look ridiculously happy! Does the poor man understand about your hair?!? (The raging obsession that we all share)

I live with a white guy for some time, and he was an idiot about it..Acted like I was all OCD about it....:nuts:

I keep thinking that if I ever start dating seriously again (having too much fun for now!) I'll have to be waaaayyyyy upfront about the obsession!

Back