Person you know with damaged hair?

sabie19

Well, the person I know with damaged hair is my cousin. Her hair is long at about bra-strap but it is like strands. You can possibly count how many strands of hairs are on her head. It is so damaged that I believe that by the time she turns 30 her hair may possibly fall out.
frown.gif
My hair was damaged like that until I came up on this board. I wish I could do something but since my hair is not that long yet ( due to the fact that I cut my hair in the beginning of this year, I was not eating properly and lack of care) she thinks her methods are doing just fine for her. I believe she is in denial because my hair is bouny and nice while hers is limp and lifeless. So, I was wondering do you guys know anyone with damaged hair and that are in denial of it or that do not want your help when you know it can be good for them.
mad.gif

My roommate's hair is so damaged. Her hair is just past her ears and every time she combs her hair sooooo much hair comes out it is incredible...and she likes to leave that nasty crap all over the sink
barf.gif
. Anyway, when she washes her hair it is the same thing. Hair is everywhere in the shower. If my hair were like that I would cry
cry3.gif
I can't believe that she thinks that is okay.
confused.gif
Maybe she thinks that because I shed a good amount it is okay for her to lose all that hair. But, she doesn't realize that I am shedding not breaking. Plus, I have extra thick hair so I am going to shed more hair than her. It is terrible ya'll.
nono.gif
I hope she get it together.

I've known people like that in the past. In high school. Mainly white girls to be honest. Always brushing it, and flinging it all over the place when it's all dry and straggly lookin'.
frown.gif
Even if I knew back then, what I know now, what would have been the point in saying something, cuz they obviously think their hair is all that to be brushing it like crazy 5,6,7 times and hour.

A caucasian chick in my Chorale class. Becky has hair that's approx. 3-4 inches past her shoulders but its extremely straggly, dry looking, and of course, full of split ends. I want to give her a protein and oil tereatment so bad! In fact, I really want to invite her to my home so I can do her hair
phone.gif

I was this person with damaged hair back in high school. My sister used to care for my hair, it used to be so long but I think she actually made it come out on purpose so that hers can be longer. She would always relax my hair every 6-7 weeks using a super strength relaxer and comb it down almost to the ends and leave it on for 40 mins or so. I didn't know any better then, but it sure caught up with me.

Okay, my hair used to be bra strap and stringy looking. I DID NOT want to cut my hair for the life of me!
frown.gif
It was so bad, I would just put it up instead of wearing it down because I did not want to cut the strings off. My junior year, I cut it all off and started over. I will never do that again, walking around with straw thin hair!

Lots of people...my sister,my mom,this girl in my class

Hopefully it won't be damaged for much longer Nessa.

my best friend. her hair is super super thin and she packs gel and grease on it, doesnt wash it often and when she does she cranks out the blow dryer and she'll ask me to twist her hair and ill do it and then she'll tighten the rubberbands until her scalp bulges just watching her do that makes me wanna cry

I know folks with see-through, broken hair - both natural and chemically-relaxed. Offering unsolicited advice is always sticky, though, because the person might feel you're implying that how s/he currently looks/smells/acts isn't good. I prefer to have people ask or bring the subject up first.

I tried offering advice to this one person who would tear through her afro, from the roots
shocked.gif
, with a small-toothed, hard plastic comb not meant or designed for tightly coiled hair. It's like she hated her hair.
frown.gif
I suggested spritzing first with a water/jojoba oil combo and then combing from the ends, *gently* detangling, down to the roots. Last time I saw her, there were still fistfuls of hair in that same cruel-looking comb. ... She was suspicious, though, of how my hair had gotten so "long." Now I just let my hair do the talking. If she wants advice, I figure she'll ask. :shrug:

i feel like crying for these people, i saw one lady with neck length hair yesterday and she had it out with a wool coat on, and her hair was rubbing against the wool...ooouuucch...
shocked.gif
it was all over the back of her coat, and really burnt up in the ends...i was sitting behind her on the bus and i just wanted to snip off her ends and give her a deep conditioner....i fell so bad, and i do wanna help but u just cant say this stuff to people...especially in NY, they just might hurt ya....
hammer.gif

Young girls in my neighborhood who are taking over the job of doing their own hair. They are experimenting a lot with gels, grease, hotcombs (on relaxed hair) and curling irons and trying to get that bone straight look you see on those BET music video models.

There is this lady at my job whose hair looks fried and dead. What can I say. Its permed and frosted and very under-conditioned and dry. I have tried to talk to her about conditioners, etc., but she feels that what I do for my hair can't possibly help hers because she's caucasian. I tried.

Well, allow me the rare opportunity to gloat:

I had this [former] friend who when I was relaxed, would always pick on me, telling me how thin and damaged my hair was. Well, I saw her a couple of months ago and even though her hair is long, it's EXTREMELY thin on the sides and totally life-less. The saddest thing is that she probably thinks that it looks good just because it's long. She's practically bald in the front hairline and some on the sides and in the back. Thing is, I warned her about using Motions relaxer. That's what took my hair out after she had suggested it and this woman put it in my hair. It was good at first, but as time went on, my hair began to thin out. Eventually it broke off badly in the back, and as it turned out, this life altering experience is partly the reason why I went natural.

Note: This story was not intended to scare those who use Motions relaxer. Everyone's hair is different and reacts differently to relaxers.

Uh-huh. My cousin. She does her own relaxed and not well I might add. Then she gets braids. I don't know why she does because as soon as the last braid is in she starts scratching. Breaking hairs and damaging her scalp. I can't tell you how many times she told me, "Girl, I dug up blood today!" THEN she will leave them in forever! Short hairs sticking up all over the place. When she finally takes them out she pulls her hair back into a jacked up ponytail. And the process starts all over again. What is so sad is that she use to have a head of beautiful hair.
What I don't understand is that whenever I make a mistake with my hair I do not make that same mistake again. I for the life of me cannot understand why it hasn't dawned on her that she is damaging her own hair by doing what she does.

An office mate made a comment last week after I took my braids out about how long and thick my hair had gotten. She said all my life I have only had a snap of hair. I her told we have the same type hair 4a, you should check out lhcf and be more gentle on your hair. She looked at me like I was crazy, like we could not possibly have the same type of hair. The sad part is she is a beautiful girl, her skin is smooth and dark, her face looks like an angels, but her hair is tore up.

A teen at my church. Her hair is bra strap length... well most of it is in the middle but the rest is jagged. It's all strands though... like vertical blinds. You can see right through her ends from bra strap to about her neck - then, it's not see through. On top of that, she wears it stick straight!!! I asked her why she doesn't cut the damage out and she says it's just naturally thin. I told her that I could see right through it but I remember how it was when I was young and pressed to have long hair. I held on to every strip I had.

The thing about it is that her hair grows fast but the longer it get's the worse it looks.

Back