Perm: Could I Change from Affirm to Phyto IIZ?

Blessed_Angel

I am considering transitioning from Affirm to Phyto Index II. Would that be alright for my hair? Has anyone tried this change? And I usually wait 6 weeks to do a touch-up, with the Phyto, will I be able to wait longer?

Also, do you guys get your Phyto perm done at the salon or at home?

Please advise.

Thanks

AbundantlyBlessed

Yes!! I did it last year after reviewing great reviews from LHCF. My experience is different than most. I switched from Affirm mild to Phyto II. After two relaxers with Phyto II (stretched for 3 months each time with type 4b /4z hair), my hair was extremely dry. It was a battle with the dryness and tangles.

Therefore, I had a long discussion with my hairdresser. (I never self relax). She was of the opinion that I should be using Phyto I and II was too strong for my hair and was the cause of the dryness. I then decided to switch back to Affirm mild. If I ever try Phyto again, it will be index I.

I would encourage you to try Phyto but be aware of the dryness if you are planning to use II.

HTH

LadyJ76

Yes, I made the switch about 1 1/2 ago as well, from Affirm to Phyto II, but for me it's the best thing I could have done for my hair. I found that Affirm was slowly thinning out my hair, left it limp and dry. Since using Phyto I've had much less breakage, and my hair is shinier and softer. I am still working on trying to thicken up my hiar, but I have definitely seen an improvement. I should say that my hair is very fine and fragile and I just feel that Phyto is the most gentle option for me. I hope this helps. I say give Phyto a try.

Nina_deF

I've used both index I and II and never experienced the dryness people talk about.
I think that it may be due to not rinsing enough.
My hair has never been better, for me it's Phyto or natural.

I started out with index II which got it bone straight and since I have thin hair I am now enjoying the index I, texlax'd and thicker.
I "transitioned" for 7mo (not easy).

I've never tried Affirm but I really don't think that anything can compare to Phyto anyway....

I get mine applied at the salon but I might do it myself next time because I scared of overlapping.

MonaLisa

I've used both index I and II and never experienced the dryness people talk about.
I think that it may be due to not rinsing enough.
My hair has never been better, for me it's Phyto or natural.

I started out with index II which got it bone straight and since I have thin hair I am now enjoying the index I, texlax'd and thicker.
I "transitioned" for 7mo (not easy).

I've never tried Affirm but I really don't think that anything can compare to Phyto anyway....

I get mine applied at the salon but I might do it myself next time because I scared of overlapping.

Off topic cuz...so funny, I was going to PM u to find out what Index you were using again.

I think I may try the Index 1 for the sprint touch up to see if I see any difference
------------------------------------------------

Back on topic: I used Affirm No-Lye right before I started Phyto...it looked like I just ran some saliva through my hair and called it a touch up....didn't work for me ... I went from No Lye to No Lye....
but I guess one could do the same with the Lye version...

Blessed_Angel

Thanks for the tips ladies. I am still not sure what to do. I'll sleep on it....but it's great to hear other's experiences...whether good or bad. :yep:

vslady

I went from Fabulaxer to Phyto II with no problems. I always self-relax or have a trusted friend do my touch-ups. I don't trust the overlapping, overprocessing stylists around here. Also, I like to add the ACV rinse to cut down some of the neutralizing and I do a DC in the middle of neutralizing. I doubt the stylist would want to do all those steps.

Off topic, but can Affirm be purchased other than by beauticians?

I see affirm relaxers in the BSS all the time.

Last edited:

Misseyl

I switched from Motions to Phyto Index II about 3 years ago and never looked back. I self relax and Phyto got my hair looking like it was done at a salon w/burning my scalp. I'll never use another relaxer...