Okay, I'm hating my hair...

nita4

Okay, I\'m hating my hair...

I have to vent. I am hating my hair!!!
mad.gif

First of all I spend too much time "thinking" about my hair. So, much time in fact that I realized that I'm not enjoying it. Do this, don't do that. Keep moisturized, don't use heat. Why have it if you can't enjoy it?? This is ridiculous.

Second, I want to get out of these protective sytles! I wear protective styles 99% of the time!! I just want to scream!! I wear a bun, roller set, braidout, french twist and my phoney pony. These are no heat friendly styles!! I keep my hair moisturized all the time. My hair should be really long by now!! I found this forum in 2002. I'm a little past shoulder length!! Okay, I have a long neck, but still...
lachen70.gif

Third, I cut about a 1-1/2 inches off in the past two weeks. (I was about 2 inches past shoulder.) Why are my ends still getting and looking thin when I take so much care of them? This baffles me
confused.gif

Whats up!!

On the other hand, I have nice healthy shoulder length hair. But, for as long as I've been here and the money I spent and don't mind spending - my hair should be on it's way to my bra strap.
frown.gif

Okay, I'm done...
ohwell.gif

Re: Okay, I\'m hating my hair...

Sounds like you just need a break from the "hair" topic...you know the old saying, a "watched pot NEVER boils."

Watching hair grow is like watching paint dry...boring and anxiety ridden when you dont see results as fast as you would like.

Why not vow to abstain from checking your length for 2 months and then take a picture of your hair so you can see a huge difference.

As far as the "thin ends" of your hair...it could be a result of many things, but when I permed it was due to:
1) Using a curling iron. The direct heat stayed on my ends for over 5 seconds which brings the cortex of the hair almost to a boil and causes the moisture to completly dry up. Leaving the ends brittle and easily breakable.

2) My shoulder length ends touched wool which acts like a pair of scissors and snips the ends...which were brittle to begin with so they easily broke.

3) Products with alchohol in them...very drying. Again, no moisture + brittle hair = breakage.

4) Then on top of that I permed...Needless to say my hair was not happy and I had noone to blame but myself.

No amount of conditioning could undo what had been irriversably done. Definitely paring down to the basics made my hair tremendously happy...and I STILL feel like I do to much to it. I simply condition wash, twist with shea butter (very moisturizing by the way) and finger comb.

No heat.
No wool.
Gentle manipulation.
Plenty of water (inside and out).
Protein...but dont over do it.

I always wondered how women (and men) got such long hair...and when you ask them how they did it...many of them say.. "Just leave it alone." Simple but truly insightful.

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
No amount of conditioning could undo what had been irriversably done. Definitely paring down to the basics made my hair tremendously happy...and I STILL feel like I do to much to it. I simply condition wash, twist with shea butter (very moisturizing by the way) and finger comb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I am an advocate for cutting off the damaged and growing out the new, healthy hair.

Pookey has it covered! That's great advice.
smile.gif
I think we all get "bored" w/our hair, no matter what length it is. I just envision myself w/the hair I want and move on and know that I am doing all I can to get it where I want it to be.

i keep my hair looking a complete mess most of the time (protective styles). then i am bombarded by compliments when I wear my hair down. i only measure my hair the day of my relaxer (once every 3-4 months). there are days when i want to give up... then i stop coming to this board
smile.gif

u should forget about trimming and just let your hair grow out to the optimum length that you want it. Then trim if your ends are uneven or in bad shape. Keep doing protective styles so your ends will be protected from breakage. Make sure your ends are moisturized before doing so.

How short was your hair in 2002?

It takes quit a while for hair to growth in general. Here is a hair growth chart. Go to this chart to see where you think your hair length should be: http://www.longhair.org/growth.htm

I hope this helps
smirk.gif

Nita, if your ends still don't look "right" after trimming, perhaps your should try the baggie method.

Or maybe your are using the wrong products on your hair. What products are u using?

It was the baggie method that stopped my ends from breaking. It peformed a miracle in my hair. It made my hair soft and no more crispy ends!!

Back