Oil {Scalp} Massagers: What Do You Use ? / What Are Your Results ?

Candy_C

Hey guys! i've decided to return to scalp massaging, using oils to stimulate growth as i'm kinda bored with not seeing my hair length, so i'm just in growing mode right now....

what would you suggest i use to get the most growth? (concotions or stand alone oils) also, i'm a MASSIVE fan of indian oils, and have a shop nr me that has most of them, so mentioning them too would be great.

its something that i wanna use every night, so nothing tooooo thick (castor oil and me do NOT get on)..

ALSO...what results have yo seen from your own concoctions and what are their ingredients?

THANKS! x

I recently startede back doing them, too.

I love Hemp seed oil, shea oil and emu oil. I sometimes like a few drops of Rosemary EO in the mix.

I tried Coconut oil this week, but my scalp started itching like crazy the next day!! I love how easier it is to apply the coconut oil, but I don'r know why it was itching so much.

Well as you all know, essential oils (aromatherapy) include (but aren't limited to) Thyme, Rosemary, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint and Cedarwood. Since essential oils contain concentrated amounts of oil distilled from leaves they are VERY strong. According to several studes, essential oils can promote hair growth when massaged into the scalp daily, and have been found more effective for hair growth than carrier oils. However, because the essential oils are so strong, it's good to use a carrier oil for diluting the essential oils. These studies have shown that massaging essential oils (or essential oils diluted with a carrier oil) into the scalp promotes growth..... whereas massaging carrier oils into the scalp may stimulate the scalp and be healthy for it, but it appears to be more effective to use an essential oil, or some essential oil blend. So if you massage anything into your scalp at all, i would make sure that it includes some essential oils. The carrier oils smell so nice sometimes (ie, coconut oil, sweet almond, etc.), and it may be tempting.... but i think you would get more benefit out of the aromatherapy/essential oils if you're going to take the time to do it everyday.

KiniKakes your info sounds so good and accurate (in theory). But i've never purchased EO's because of my fear that they are already diluted or they are of poor quality. I mean whos to say that your Emu oil, isn't just 3 drops of Emu oil in a canola oil base? There are no FDA requirements regarding this. And I've read about this online a million timess. And i'd fear being suckered out of my money and plus applying these oils in vain. For all the ladies that do use EO's i'm just wondering how do you know that your EO is true?

*waves at CandyC* Howdy, again!!! *LOL*

I'm interested in the same thing - I'm ordering one 'custom' mix oil from a member of another hair board - but then, I was in BigLots yesterday, and saw some Queen Helene Growth Oil, and some Queen Helene Thicken Oil - 2 bucks for a big - 6 or 8 oz bottle - and I'm thinking about going back to pick some up. I wrote down a list of the 'proper' oils it should have in it, and I'm going to go back and check and see what it has/doesn't have.

Mizani_Mrs said:
KiniKakes your info sounds so good and accurate (in theory). But i've never purchased EO's because of my fear that they are already diluted or they are of poor quality. I mean whos to say that your Emu oil, isn't just 3 drops of Emu oil in a canola oil base? There are no FDA requirements regarding this. And I've read about this online a million timess. And i'd fear being suckered out of my money and plus applying these oils in vain. For all the ladies that do use EO's i'm just wondering how do you know that your EO is true?

I hear what you are saying! But I live down the street from several BSS that have Dominican products, and the Dominican brand essential oils are VERY inexpensive. The ingredients on the bottle state that the oils are pure.... but you are correct in that you never really know if its diluted with something. But at that price, I dont mind buying them and giving them a try. I havent massaged them in.... I usually just add them to a conditioner, or MTG, etc.... so I cant vouch for the effectiveness of the scalp massages. But I figure, if Im going to take the time to massage my scalp daily, I'd rather use these essential oils (supported by research to aid in hair growth) than regular carrier oils, that simply smell good and nourish the hair.

I was just reading an old thread earlier today and I just finished searching the web when I saw this post. (There are no coincidences ;))
There is an Indian Oil called Keo Karpin Hair Vitalizer (Vitamin-H-Therapy). I aslo like Amla and Navratna for massages. The navratna is supposed to help you sleep better also.
Don't forget about jojoba which is said to be close to our own skin's composition and one of the few moisturizing oils.

I suffer from an itchy scalp sometimes so my blend is designed to cool and stimulate. I only use this one at night because I use lavender oil and it really can put me to sleep but here it goes

3 drops of peppermint oil- cools scalp and promotes growth
3 drops of lavender oil- regulates oil production, controls dandruff
3 drops of Rosemary oil- promotes growth and healthy scalp
3 tablespoons of you favorite carrier oil- I use kukui because it is very light

Candy_C said:
Hey guys! i've decided to return to scalp massaging, using oils to stimulate growth as i'm kinda bored with not seeing my hair length, so i'm just in growing mode right now....

what would you suggest i use to get the most growth? (concotions or stand alone oils) also, i'm a MASSIVE fan of indian oils, and have a shop nr me that has most of them, so mentioning them too would be great.

its something that i wanna use every night, so nothing tooooo thick (castor oil and me do NOT get on)..

ALSO...what results have yo seen from your own concoctions and what are their ingredients?

THANKS! x

Why don't we turn this into a challenge. We can do untill the end of the year. What do you all think.

punchinella said:
I was just reading an old thread earlier today and I just finished searching the web when I saw this post. (There are no coincidences ;))
There is an Indian Oil called Keo Karpin Hair Vitalizer (Vitamin-H-Therapy). I aslo like Amla and Navratna for massages. The navratna is supposed to help you sleep better also.
Don't forget about jojoba which is said to be close to our own skin's composition and one of the few moisturizing oils.
Hi Punchinella, let me get this straight. Ok, so I can use jojoba oil for a moisturizing oil? So does that mean I can just use it by itself instead of getting a regular moisturizer and sealing it with oil? Im curious to know because if thats the case, I can kill two birds with one stone just using the jojoba oil. Please let me know if I assuming right cuz Im getting excited. The less products for me, the better. Thanks in advance, Punchinella;)

shunta said:
Hi Punchinella, let me get this straight. Ok, so I can use jojoba oil for a moisturizing oil? So does that mean I can just use it by itself instead of getting a regular moisturizer and sealing it with oil? Im curious to know because if thats the case, I can kill two birds with one stone just using the jojoba oil. Please let me know if I assuming right cuz Im getting excited. The less products for me, the better. Thanks in advance, Punchinella;)

I use it on my hair when it is damp after washing, and I also use it on my dry hair. Sometimes if my hair feels too dry I just wet hands, run my hands over my hair and put some jojoba oil. It makes your hair feel very soft and smooth.
I'm getting hooked on this stuff (and if some is left on my hands I just rub it in not like other products where you have to wash your hands afterwards.)

I know you said you don't like castor, but these are what I use for scalp massages:

castor for "healing" - very tiny drops mixed with a bit of distilled water or another oil to thin it out a bit

amla for "cooling" - alone or mixed with castor to restore, heal and cool scalp, especially after retouches

I use a bunch of other oils on my HAIR, but these are the only two I use on my scalp.

HTH

Back