Newbie-Need some suggestions..please!

deusa80

Hi Everyone!

I'll try to make this as short as possible. First let me say, I know it's so much easier to give suggestions if there are pictures attached, but I tried and it seems like the size of my pictures are too big! I do have them on my fotki page, so if you have a chance you can look & see the pictures of my hair & the products I use...

I've been checking out the boards for the past few weeks & just became a member this week. I'm still learning a lot & I'm really looking for some suggestions to improve the condition of my hair...I have no idea what my hair type is, but it's really dry and brittle, and breaks very easily. I also have some serious breakage in the middle of my hair...

I wash my hair about once a week, but since I've been trying all these new products sometimes it's twice a week. I usually use CON shampoo and some sort of deep conditioner(sometimes with or without heat), the other times I use aphogee shampoo and reconstrucer. My hair is not colored treated, only relaxed and the last time I did that was about 3 weeks ago. Most of the time I do blow dry and flat iron my hair after each wash...but i've been trying to cut back on that by letting it air dry. For the past few months my daily style has been wearing half wigs, I hardly wear my own hair out. I also take 1000mcg of biotin daily.

So basically I'm looking for any suggestions that might improve the strength and overall condition of my hair. Should I DC my hair every week with heat? How often should I use protein treatments? Should I really cut out blow drying and flat ironing all together? And finally... what can I do to stop so much breakage and strengthen my hair and improve growth?

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome.

Here's a link that you may find helpful (if you haven't seen it already). It has some really great threads on breakage, etc.:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=255441

I don't really have much other advice for you since I'm not relaxed. About the half wigs I just wanted to say you should take out the back combs and the front ones as well. You can use large bobby pins in their place. The combs have been known to break hair right off (did it to mine). If you really don't want to take the front combs out cover them with castor oil before your put your wig on so it's not rubbing directly against your hair. That's what I did if I didn't take the combs out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! I wikk defintely check that thread out. Thanks for the suggestion about the combs on the half wig, I never really thought about that. I'll try covering them with castor oil and see how that works out.

When you wear your half wigs do you put on a wig cap first, or just wear it over your natural hair?

Thanks so much! I wikk defintely check that thread out. Thanks for the suggestion about the combs on the half wig, I never really thought about that. I'll try covering them with castor oil and see how that works out.

When you wear your half wigs do you put on a wig cap first, or just wear it over your natural hair?

I've never worn a wig cap :look:. But I lots of people do. I just never felt like the wig was "rubbing" against my hair so it was fine for me. Also, I used to rinse my hair in the shower every day when wearing wigs so if I wore a cap my hair wouldn't be able to "breathe".

I use Biotin too and it really works. I'm relaxed, and I wash once a week. I pre-poo with ORS hair mayo, use heat for 20-30 mins, let it stay in for hours. Then I wash it out and shampoo with Pantene relaxed and Natural anti-dandruff moisturizing poo and condish with their intensifying moisturizing conditioner and let it sit for 3-5 mins. I proceed to set it on rollers, let dry, and then wrap it.

Using the blow dryer and flat iron often can be damaging to the hair. Try to find a balance between moisture and protein. I use protein every week.

Back