Naturals who've considered locs.... Why?

NantanYah

Hi Ladies,

I decided to loc my hair a couple of months ago so I went and had starter locs done, which I took out a month later. It was very annoying for me to deal with the annoying itchies and the frizzies. However, they were relatively easy to care for and I only needed 2 hair products, baking soda to wash and an oil mixture to moisturize, which really cut down on my pjism. Plus, I so missed running my fingers through my hair. One thing is for sure, I appreciated my hair more after I took them down. Anyway, the question is if you had locs... why did you take them down and how did you feel about your hair after?:confused:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I was going to start locs back in February but got bored and took down the twists after 2 weeks. I was considering locs because of the freedom of no combing and not having to mess with my hair as much as I would if loose; but no matter what I do, I can't leave my hair alone for nothing! :lol:

imstush

I was going to do locks for religious purposes when I first went natural...but my family wasn't too thrilled.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I was considering getting the sisterlocks but I can't afford the $600 it costs to get them started. :ohwell: Besides at the moment I am enjoying the journey to my 'loose' hair goals. :yep:

CurleeDST

I get bored easily and even joined some loc listservs and boards. Honeslty they made me nervous with all this talk about lint and products getting stuck and embedded in the loc changing the look to ashen and the making them hard. I was like :eek: ! I prefer to wear my hair loose so I know I can get all the conditioner out. I also worried that since I was pregnant thta once the baby came I would not be able to get them maintained like I would like. I said at th etime I would retry again in October but I think my hair prefers to be loose. You have to listen to your body because it speaks loud and clear and tells you exactly what you need to know.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
CurleeDST said:
I get bored easily and even joined some loc listservs and boards. Honeslty they made me nervous with all this talk about lint and products getting stuck and embedded in the loc changing the look to ashen and the making them hard. I was like :eek: ! I prefer to wear my hair loose so I know I can get all the conditioner out. I also worried that since I was pregnant thta once the baby came I would not be able to get them maintained like I would like. I said at th etime I would retry again in October but I think my hair prefers to be loose. You have to listen to your body because it speaks loud and clear and tells you exactly what you need to know.
Yeah, I feel you. When I was visiting the Loc Discussion board on Nappturality, I came across some posts where ladies have lost locs and it would leave a bald spot. I would be scared for that to happen to me if I had locs. :perplexed

theAlist

I want the freedom to experience EVERYTHING with my hair. I still want to try working on being natural right now. However I've given myself the deadline of locking b4 I'm 30.....so....I have 10 years.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I like the look of sister locks and even bought one of her books for my cousin (sorta- I had to read it first :lol:- excellent btw) but I like the tactile experience of combing my hair. I dont want to give that up.

DarkVictory

Hi Ladies,

Anyway, the question is if you had locs... why did you take them down and how did you feel about your hair after?:confused:

I had locs for years. Great look, too much work. I was spending time in southern Louisiana and they were just too hot and NEVER dried in the humidity. I was simplifying life in other ways and decided I wanted my plain old loose hair back. The only regret I had was during the growing out phase - one friend of mine calls it the "Florida Evans" - too long to be a TWA, too short to style. Now I'm past that phase I'm very happy with my hair.

frostydoll

I've thought about it but I change my hair too much to do that. I even gave myself a deadline to do it one day but honestly I don't think I'll want too. My sweetie has locs though and I LOVE playing in them. It's the only long hair style on men that appeals to me.

facets

Hi Ladies,

I decided to loc my hair a couple of months ago so I went and had starter locs done, which I took out a month later. It was very annoying for me to deal with the annoying itchies and the frizzies. However, they were relatively easy to care for and I only needed 2 hair products, baking soda to wash and an oil mixture to moisturize, which really cut down on my pjism. Plus, I so missed running my fingers through my hair. One thing is for sure, I appreciated my hair more after I took them down. Anyway, the question is if you had locs... why did you take them down and how did you feel about your hair after?:confused:

My first set I cut & unraveled because mainly because of boredom, too much product use/build-up and finally cos of my mother's nagging. The second time was because I wanted a 'fro. Both times I missed them horribly and regretted it. The pic in my siggie is the second bunch.

I need to do new photos because I'm starting some again w/ kinky human hair extensions cause I'm not going through the awkward stage this time either. the first time was enough. ..Not very PC but i'm not adverse to shortcuts. I also eventually trimmed most of it(the faux hair) away over the 3+ years.

JustKiya

I actually started out with locs shortly after (2, 3 years?) my last perm.
I kept them for five years, and loved them - then I got bored with them, and started bleaching and dying them, and the chemicals were just too much for my hair, so I took them out over a period of about a month. I kept about 1/3 of the length (my locs were roughly shoulder length, my hair was roughly ear length), and promptly bleached & dyed it again :nono:

I'm loving having my hair loose, and I doubt that I will ever lock it up again - now that I've learned how to take care of it, and all the fun things I can do with it, and that it WILL grow - ch, why get locs? If I want a 'loc-look' for a while, I can toss in some yarn braids and be all good.