Naturals/Trans.- getting rid of the bulk...

LoveLiLi

This question is for naturals and transitioners (or maybe we can call them trannys for short since I'm terrible at typing, lol). j/k

What are you ladies using to manage bulky/thick hair? My hair doesn't always go into a bun easily, but when I use Control Freak serum by Tigi my hair is less bulky and I don't have to fight with the hump that forms in the middle of my head when I wear my hair back. The product works fine, but it's too expensive (about $17) and I'd like to find something cheaper because I co-wash frequently, which means I go through hair products very fast.

Any suggestions?

I just deal with my hair while it's wet. Once it's dried my hair gets so thick and dense when I try to style it.

The Denman brush was the key for me. I was walking around bulky for months when I was transitioning...and its amazing the difference that brush made. That tool did more than any product could.

I doubt it's the product. It may be how you're pulling it back. I have to make sure I comb or brush through my hair in a few sections first (back, middle and front) before brushing it all back at once. Especially that middle section to get it flat or else I'll have the hump. Some people tie a scarf on their hair for a few mins to keep it down too.

I ALWAYS have to fight the hump! I thought it was just me, or that my head was shaped funny, :lachen: What I do is part it down the middle (from ear to ear) in the shower and put lots of conditioner in and what ever else you like to moisturize it with.. That was I get lots of slip and I can comb through the bulk. I then I put it back and the water from the shower helps it to lay back as I'm putting it into a pony tail. This way I don't have to fight the hump until the next time I have to wash it. Hope that helps.

Like previous posters, I've been fighting my hair back into a bun with my Denman...smoothing over the top with a soft boar-bristle brush and then tying it down reeeeaaaallllly tight with a scarf for a few minutes...that last part seems to help me smush my lumpy hair into submission:lol:

ETA: Shea butter around the edges helps keep the flyaways slicked down

Last edited:
I doubt it's the product. It may be how you're pulling it back. I have to make sure I comb or brush through my hair in a few sections first (back, middle and front) before brushing it all back at once. Especially that middle section to get it flat or else I'll have the hump. Some people tie a scarf on their hair for a few mins to keep it down too.

I know what you mean. I comb my hair while it's still damp to make sure I don't have the hump in the middle, but this product actually makes my hair look/feel less dense and bulky. Once I put this serum on my hair lays down instead of sticking out, but the serum doesn't feel too sticky or heavy.

Thanks for the replies ladies, I'm going to pick up a Denman brush - it might save me the $17 I'd have to spend on the serum.

I make sure my hair is stretched before bunning. After washing, and towel drying, I put on my leave-ins and I put my hair into 4 large cornrows.

However, I can never completely avoid the hump at the top of my head. I had a hump even when I was relaxed.

I know what you mean. I comb my hair while it's still damp to make sure I don't have the hump in the middle, but this product actually makes my hair look/feel less dense and bulky. Once I put this serum on my hair lays down instead of sticking out, but the serum doesn't feel too sticky or heavy.

You can certainly achieve those results on your hair without such an expensive product. :yep:

This question is for naturals and transitioners (or maybe we can call them trannys for short since I'm terrible at typing, lol). j/k

What are you ladies using to manage bulky/thick hair? My hair doesn't always go into a bun easily, but when I use Control Freak serum by Tigi my hair is less bulky and I don't have to fight with the hump that forms in the middle of my head when I wear my hair back. The product works fine, but it's too expensive (about $17) and I'd like to find something cheaper because I co-wash frequently, which means I go through hair products very fast.

Any suggestions?

Well what I do is after a conditioner wash,while in the shower, I leave a little conditioner in my hair, take my "ouchless" brush, and brush my hair into a bun while holding my head upsidown. No hump. When I get out the shower to ensure that my hair will still look okay after I'[m dressed, I tie my hair down with a satin like scarf. Within 30 min the top layer of my hair is dry enough, and I go about my business

Back