Naturals/Texlaxers with smooth edges

achangedlife

How do you get smooth edges. I'm texlaxed and by week 3 my edges look like they need a touch up. I've tried gels, oil, edge tamers, serums. It's hard to catch them with the flat iron cause they're short. Any suggestions?

How do you get smooth edges. I'm texlaxed and by week 3 my edges look like they need a touch up. I've tried gels, oil, edge tamers, serums. It's hard to catch them with the flat iron cause they're short. Any suggestions?

Have you ever tried beeswax? That might work. :grin:

148_Murrays%20Wax.jpg

there is a youtube tutorial where someone shows the "scarf" method of drying natural hair. I've tried it, it works pretty well. It might help.

Nah. I haven't tried that yet. Sofn' free n Pretty's edge tamer is the best I've found so far. I softens it but doen't quite make it relaxer smooth. Last time I texlaxed I put the relaxer on the edges sooner then I normally do in order to give it more time to process and get straighter. I was on long enough to start to start burning me but still didn't come out straight. I'm fine with the rest of my hair having more definition but I want straight edges.

Thanks Tickin4gold-you have the best hair styles and product ideas! :grin: I'm hoping you enjoy sharing them with the world, as much as we enjoy reading them, and watching your vids. Very well done-keep 'em coming!!!!!:yep:

All i have to add is you may want to step it up on your moisturizer on the edges along with or in between using the foam wrap/scarf method.

When i was relaxed i started losing my edges after experiences like the one your having.

Only to grow them back and lose them time and time again...today i'm natural and have come to learn what they needed most was moisture(& strength i.e protein).

Ex:herbal essence ltr, eqp mango butter, kenra has a mango butter too..or what ever you use to moistz & i use a soft bristle brush and silk scarf.

I think hair typing play a big role in how people are able to maintain their edges. Now, I know there are some people who don't like hair typing. But it's been my experience that someone with 4b edges (like me) can't use coconut or evoo oil and water or moisturizer or conditioner of any kind to lay down there edges for more than an hour (scarf or no scarf). I need gel. Serious gel. The best I've found so far is Hicks Total Transformations Edges. My Mom has dreads and she loves it too, and she HATES using products.

I won't dispute what ^^she said at all..b/c there is probably some truth to it.

But what i'm speaking of is not just "the laying down" of the edges..more so the health of them b/c from the story the OP tells there may be worse problems that come from this at some point if she just sticks gel there to lay it down (AND (if?)she's trying to grow out her hair) (ex:leaving that relaxer on til' it burns) I just wanted to also point to the fact that OP says that the one thing you've found does soften your edges (that usually means its added moisture to your hair).

Of course once you make sure you have moisture you can use a compatible gel of your choice on top of it.

use a warm pressing comb to get the edges. My stylist oes this with a lot of ther clients hair rather than try to use the flat iron to catch everything.

Garnier Fructis water-based shine wax works great for me in the morning. At night shea butter and a scarf smoooooves my edges right out.

The foam and the wrap worked until I applied my moiturizer (it might have been water based) then they curled up on me again. I bought TIGI wax stick but it did nothing. I'm going to search some threads and see how others use it. I just rolled the sticks over my edges then brushed, all I got out of it was waxy edges.

Great question, OP. I don't know my "hair type" but I do know that my hair is thick and it laughs at gel...I think that I am going to try the wax that another poster mentioned...It's either that or the Hick's...everything else has been a no-go for me.

Back