Naturals: ?'s about Wash/Shake n' Go

shellzfoshizzle

Wash/shake n' go is going to be my main style in a few weeks and I wanna know how to do it. I know it's not a science, you pretty much wash (or CW), apply some product and go and put on a headband or what have you.

I got a couple of questions:

1. Don't you all get head colds when you walk outside with your hair wet?! I know it's summer, but I went outside with my hair wet last week and I felt like crap this past weekend.

2. What is the main product you use to define your wash n go? Is it a curly pudding/hair butter?

I did a search on this, but I couldn't really find anything. Feel free to leave any pointers or tips on it if you'd like. THanks.

shellzfoshizzle said:
Wash/shake n' go is going to be my main style in a few weeks and I wanna know how to do it. I know it's not a science, you pretty much wash (or CW), apply some product and go and put on a headband or what have you.

1. Don't you all get head colds when you walk outside with your hair wet?! I know it's summer, but I went outside with my hair wet last week and I felt like crap this past weekend.
- Nope in over 4 yrs I have never gotten a head cold. My hair usually dries by the end of the day. It takes round 6-8 hrs to dry completely.

2. What is the main product you use to define your wash n go? Is it a curly pudding/hair butter?
-Conditioner wash. What you see in the avatar is a conditioner wash. I just leave a little conditioner in the hair. It keeps my hair soft and defines my curls when I feel like having them. Good luck to you

I did a search on this, but I couldn't really find anything. Feel free to leave any pointers or tips on it if you'd like. THanks.

What I have noticed is that water is the key to all of my wash-n-go's the longer I let the water run in my hair before adding the conditioner it does really well. I just let the water run, while not touching my hair till I put on the conditioner. When I am all done, I just let it drip dry, unless I pull it up. Water really does it for my hair in general. I add the conditioner as a smell good light gel so to speak.

ajargon02 said:
What I have noticed is that water is the key to all of my wash-n-go's the longer I let the water run in my hair before adding the conditioner it does really well. I just let the water run, while not touching my hair till I put on the conditioner. When I am all done, I just let it drip dry, unless I pull it up. Water really does it for my hair in general. I add the conditioner as a smell good light gel so to speak.

ok, thanks ajargon. Thats good advice. I'm going to try that. I usually just slap the conditioner on after the water touches my hair. I guess it's good to let the water saturate the hair for a while since it's so thick and kinky. Great advice!

I usually conditioner wash my hair with either Trader Joe's conditioner, Patene for relaxed and natural hair conditioner or Free Me Fresia by VO5. I shake my hair and use the town to take out some of the water. I add in my mango butter, leave in conditioner and Fantasia IC gel.

I didn't catch any colds this winter from the Shake and gos.

1. Don't you all get head colds when you walk outside with your hair wet?! I know it's summer, but I went outside with my hair wet last week and I felt like crap this past weekend. I haven't really gotten any colds or anything. When it's cold out I don't do as many. If I have to go out after I do it I keep my head covered till I get to where I'm going plus I use a microfiber towel so most of the water is soaked up.

2. What is the main product you use to define your wash n go? Is it a curly pudding/hair butter? I use a homemade mix that has a some conditioner, leave-in, shea butter & coconut oil then I apply some Fantasia aloe gel on the edges and ends. To really make my coils pop, I scrunch on dripping wet hair. Ayannapooh had a really good method too she just posted about not too long ago, I don't remember her products but basically you hang your head down & scrunch the products in that way instead of standing straight up. I tried this the other day, and it produced really nice curl definition.

1. Don't you all get head colds when you walk outside with your hair wet?!
When it was winter time or cold outside, my head would feel cold if it was still wet. But I never caught a cold/flu. But I hardly did wash-n-go's when it was cold outside.

Just plain ol' water or S-Curl No Drip Activator Moisturizer

I have essentially been doing wash-n-gos as my only style since my BC, and I have gone out with a wet head since March. No colds. I though I read somewhere that it's not the wet head to triggers the cold anyway.

It depends on my mood. I either use just a leave in conditioner alone or I use a leave-in plus a gel like Shine & Fine or IC Fantaisa, Oyin Shine & Define. Pretty much anything I use will define my coils--just in different ways (soft and larger versus smaller and crisper).

shellzfoshizzle said:

1. Don't you all get head colds when you walk outside with your hair wet?! I know it's summer, but I went outside with my hair wet last week and I felt like crap this past weekend. I wash COW my hair every night. Afterwards I use Optimum Care Overnight treatment-it's a yellow jar, w/ Kemi Oyl.

2. What is the main product you use to define your wash n go? I use the "The Curly Pudding Substitute"

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=59472&highlight=curly+pudding

Everyday before I go to work, I apply Doo-Gro Triple Strength Anti-Breakage Hair Lotion. This stuff is the best and it leaves my hair really soft. :woot:

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the great advice...keep it coming...I really like the 'applying product with your head upside down technique'!

shellzfoshizzle said:

I don't as long as the temperatures are at least in the mid fifties. I usually wear my hair in twists until the weather stabalizes to at least this point.

To define my wash no go's I alternate between the curly pudding and the meringue.

I usually wet my hair very thoroughly in the shower and then apply my conditioner of choice while cleansing. Currently I am alternating between Biolage Detangling Solution, John Masters Citrus & Neroli Detangler and Elucence Moisture Balancing. Then I rinse out and apply my Giovanni Leave in and either the CP or Meringue. Then I pull back into a low ponytail (which helps some with shrinkage) while I am getting dress. Before I leave I take my hair out of the ponytail and give it a good shake.

shellzfoshizzle said:
Ok thanks for the great advice...keep it coming...I really like the 'applying product with your head upside down technique'!

Yeah, I forgot to add that I also use the AyanaPooh shake-n-go method, regardless of what product I use (if any). It makes a HUGE difference to shake upside down. I also apply products on soaking wet hair (sometimes I give it a quick squeeze, but that's it).

shellzfoshizzle said:

Never. I walk out of my house with very very wet hair all year long. My head is cold, but I don't get sick. Colds come from viruses, not from having a wet head or forgetting your jacket. Before I was a nap, I would wash and go all the time, been doing it for years. .

If I opt for definition, which I don't do very often, I use Cactus, Jamaican Mango and Lime Leave-in. I really haven't tried any of my puddings yet. I used to use Paul Mitchell's foaming pomade when it was shorter and Black N Sassy Creamy Set.

I would suggest getting a hat with a liner that you don't mind getting wet, it would help with your head being cold. And since it's still wet, you should be able to style it easily when you get to work.

-no my immune system is pretty strong. wet hair+cold air cannot give you a cold unless you come in contact with the cold virus.

IC gel with sparkleites mixed with a little castor oil.

basically i get best results after i have conditioner washed, and while my hair is still dripping wet I adding product in sections and let it dry naturally on its own.

Back