Naturals....PLEASE ME WITH ROUTINE!!!!

cclark1

I am spending at least 30 mins. every morning re-wetting my hair, and adding conditioner in it every morning to get semi decent curls. There has to be a better way. Can you help me with my routine? I wake up every morning and my recently bced hair is a tight fro. I'm applying Aubrey conditioner and B-5 gel after I re-wet it. It's taking me forever. I want to stay all natural and I also want 2 day hair and fuller curls. Can anyone HELP????

maybe you should try a hairstyle that will keep your hair defined for a few days. this can include finger coils (which you could then turn into a coil out), braid outs and twist outs. i did TOs a lot when i first BC'd. when i wanted to wear a shrunken fro, i didn't conditioner wash everyday to define my coils. all i did was re-wet my hair and then applied castor oil to damp hair.

I have learned that I cannot Co wash daily if I want my curls to last, I usually co wash every 3-4 days, I don't re-wet, because I notice that my hair responds better to products on dry hair or slightly damp, I mean slightly.

I agree with tocktick. Try doing a style that will convert to another. You say you have a TWA so twists will probably be best. If you wash your hair at night and then twist, they should be set by morning

You could wear a puff, with your hair pulled back and slicked down with gel. Since I cut my hair and with the summer months, this is how I've been wearing my hair. It's neat, professional, and it takes me 5-10 mins to spritz it, fluff out the puff, and I'm done. It's the easiest style ever. And I only co-wash 1-2x per week.

Hello,

I think I can help. I started wearing my natural hair without extensions about two months ago. Luckily, I used to wear it naturally without the extensions a few years ago so I experimented with several styles. It occured to me that with some styles my hair looked very fully and curly and others it looked dry and shrunken. When my friend told me in the office the other day that she loved my hair just the way it was, I had to remember my technique. And now I stick to it. Other female colleagues are now asking me if put a mild relaxer or texturiser in my hair because of the way the curls pop. I have fine hair that has gotten finer over the years but I never had that curly hair and with this method I do. So here it goes and I hope it works for you.

I wash my hair weekly (not everyday). And with a dollop of Qhemet's Heavy Cream or Sidr Tree Butter (discontinued but I still have some), and jojoba oil, I plait my hair into eight big braids and tuck the hair inside. I tie my hair with a silk or satin hair scarf. In the morning, I unravel my hair and use a bit of oil and just fluff up the roots. I never put any kind of water near my hair again until wash time or else my texture will get dry and poofy. In the evening, I follow the same proceedure, dollop of heavy cream some jojoba oil and tie up my hair. It seems pretty greasy but it really looks good and holds a lot of moisture. Hope this helps.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Hello,

I wash my hair weekly (not everyday). And with a dollop of Qhemet's Heavy Cream or Sidr Tree Butter (discontinued but I still have some), and jojoba oil, I plait my hair into eight big braids and tuck the hair inside. I tie my hair with a silk or satin hair scarf. In the morning, I unravel my hair and use a bit of oil and just fluff up the roots. I never put any kind of water near my hair again until wash time or else my texture will get dry and poofy. In the evening, I follow the same proceedure, dollop of heavy cream some jojoba oil and tie up my hair. It seems pretty greasy but it really looks good and holds a lot of moisture. Hope this helps.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I do something very similar. I moisturize my hair at night and put it in about 10 or so big twists. In the morning I untwist before I shower, the steam plumps my hair up a bit, then apply a drop or two of almond oil for sheen, pull out the part separations with my fingers, slap on a headband and go. It makes for a textured MA fro. I do need to find a lighter moisturizer, by the third or fourth day my hair feels way to coated.

Here is a thread about the benefits of braiding or twisting before bed time.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=265569

I don't want to switch the subject on anyone but by the fourth day my hair feels coated too. I still love how it looks in the morning but my pillow cases really suffer. So for women with DH's and SO's how do you deal with the oily pillowcases and them putting their hands in your oily hair, gross or not?

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
I don't want to switch the subject on anyone but by the fourth day my hair feels coated too. I still love how it looks in the morning but my pillow cases really suffer. So for women with DH's and SO's how do you deal with the oily pillowcases and them putting their hands in your oily hair, gross or not?

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thats what I'm worried about. Dh will be very unhappy with oily hair and bed linens. Would gel not be better for this?

The problem with gel is that it can be so drying on the hair. I used Qhemet Honey tea gel and it dried nicely but the curl definition was not sleek but rather poofy and dry looking.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I used to use WAY more oil and gel than I needed. I've learned you really only need a little oil to coat and moisturize your hair, and you really don't need to apply oil on a daily basis. Sleeping in a silk scarf or on a silk pillowcase will keep your hair from drying out.

Why not alternate between twists and twistouts? Curls from twistouts can last at least a week/ week and a half if tied in a scarf at nite.

And as for a gel, it's not actually a gel, but for me it works great on twists done on wet hair, it's TCB LITE moisturizer, must be the lite. You just need very little on each twist, not on the scalp though, and when you take your twists out, they will be shiny, moisturized and well defined. Good Luck!

Back